What connection to use between Rega Apollo-R and Rega DAC?

gregvds

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I just replaced a buggy Audio Analogue Paganini 24/192, that had a very good sound a very terrible transport by a Rega Apollo-R. I'm really pleased by the way that new little thing plays music.

Now, the road ahead is a Rega DAC, to further improve cd playback, but also to use with my small Revo Superconnect radio, and USB conversion too. The Rega DAC is my choice and I don't seek alternatives advice.

I would simply have your advice on how to connect both Apollo-R and DAC together: Cinch Coax, of optical Toslink? Again, here my need is not advice on this or that cable, as I have my idea on Toslink and Coax, but rather well, with these two particular machines, is there a better technical way to go, regarding signal path, jitter, noise and so on and so on. Is optical better with these two, or Coax?

Just to let you know, Toslink would be VdH Optocoupler Mk II or Supra Zac, Coax would be Wireworld Starlight 7, for the moment.

Thanks,

Greg

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I don't think anyone will be able to give a conclusive answer to your question, for two reasons. First, whilst SPDIF coax and optical have different physical characteristics, it may well be that the differences don't translate to audible differences. Second, whether or not they translate to audible differences may depend on the rest of your equipment.

In theory optical suffers from higher jitter, but it has the advantage of fully isolating the DAC from the PSU in the transport. This advantage may not be relevant if your DAC has proper galvanic isolation.

As I say, whether this makes any audible difference is another matter.

Matt

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I have used both, they both sound the same but the Coax is a less precarious connection over the optical/toslink

Nice little combo though!

geoffreyc

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
I'd describe the difference with the DAC as having a deeper, more spacious soundstage.

Also the treble is less 'gritty' sounding.

Trouble is since I got my RP6 (and especially after getting the Nagaoka MP-200 - night and day compared to the Exact) I've not bought a single new CD!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
geoffreyc said:
I'd describe the difference with the DAC as having a deeper, more spacious soundstage.

Also the treble is less 'gritty' sounding.

Trouble is since I got my RP6 (and especially after getting the Nagaoka MP-200 - night and day compared to the Exact) I've not bought a single new CD!

crikey another person with taste

RP6 Nag MP200 is a beast of a combo

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
geoffreyc said:
The Nagaoka is one heck of a good cartridge that's for sure!

Well the nag MP110 & 150 are both superb for the money.

The Boron Cantilever on the MP200 really makes a massive step up, lower resonance for a start and yes your right wipes the floor with the Exact

gregvds

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks alot for these insights and answers. It seems I'll go the Coax road then. I read the Apollo was very well isolated, so potential problem there cleaned, and I'm practically sure Rega sorted out these question before selling both.

Thanks also for the description of the DAC gain vs Apollo-r alone. I intend to find that :).

Greg

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Well my journey with the Apollo R & DAC is a funny one!

Had the Rega Apollo R first then got the Rega DAC purely so I could use my Mac as a source, I never really played CDs after that so I sold it. My Mac Mini died so i got a ATV3 but it sounds pants and TBH i missed a CD player so bought another one. If I am honest I havent seriously a/b demoed it with the DAC, but it is connected - The Apollo R/DAC does sounds lovely (for a cd player lol ) and not far of the Rega Saturn R

gregvds

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Steve for the story.

I could'nt be without a cd player, that's still my main source. I installed uPnP/DLNA servers on my macs, they are seen by the Revo wirelessly, I can listen to iTunes stuff and flac and others, but really, I like the CD, and quite often read the leaflet that comes with them (not the old AAD/ADD explanations, they do not print that anymore). You learn a lot in these; well, I listen mainly to baroque/classical/jazz and some other stuff.

Thanks again,

Greg

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
How much difference it will make I am not sure but electrical should outperform optical. I have heard it suggested that an optical connection between a computer and outboard DAC can help minimise the noise computers throw out, but with a CD transport you aren't going to really benefit from this, in which case the conversion process at either end is going to theoretically at least make it an inferior connection to co-axial. As always though, if you get a chance to try both, have a listen and see.

gregvds

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks James too for your comment.

Choice is done, I'll go Coax between Apollo-R and DAC. As I intend to connect the Revo Superconnect to the DAC too, and because the revo only has analog or toslink output, I'll have the possibility to test both connection types with the Apollo-R, but think well I'm convinced by the comments and experiences about the Coax;

Greg

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Greg,

Have a look at Mark Grant Cables, all you need is this

http://markgrantcables.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=40_3&products_id=183

excellent build quality

gregvds

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
So,

Apollo-R and Dac are running now for a month an a half more or less. Flawlessly, and very stasfyingly if I may say so. I occasionally plug an old Macbook on the Dac, and played some 96k through the Dac too, aswell as used its toslink to listen to Revo Superconnect too. All working very well.

I like the way the Apollo-R trap is closing slowly when cold, then a little bit quicker when running hot. I find it very useful to be able to swap cd even if powered off. Rega Dac filter choice is fun to play with, I usually listen CD through filter 4 or 5. I find filters 2 and 3 flattens the stereo scene. I don't say why, but I find filter 4 has the best image depth and grip, sometimes filter 1 and 5 being a tad more behind than 4. I must say that all this is when you search for, some evenings, I change and wonder where were all these differences I heard last night. I suppose I'm not up to it all the times, that these very minute differences are partly subjective, but hey, I didn't wanted nor were told the 4 and 5 would be the winners for me.

Back on topic, I ended up using a Van den Hul Digicoupler from Apollo-R to Dac, and Van den Hul The Integration between Dac and current amp. I tested Wireworld digital cable, but found it sounding the same, but much less easy to plug and unplu, being too tight, and last factor, cosmetically, was less to my taste. Couldn't find an audio difference, so went to the one I like best.

All the best,

TRENDING THREADS