What classical music are you listening to?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrew17321

Nov 12, 2008
Visit site
Matt

Have you tried the live HD broadcasts from the NY Metropolitan Opera? My local cinema receives these broadcasts, and fortunately it has great equipment and acoustics. So the performances are really terrific, both visually and acoustically, and it gets over the attenuation of the sound you mentioned. The casts are beyond what I could see in Scotland too. I now prefer these events to travelling into the city and going to real live Opera,

Andrew

jeffg2020

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
It's true Brahms is (oddly) divisive. But I think the F-minor piano quintet is one of his more well known pieces. I have a bunch of LPs of it; I guess my fave is Curzon and the Budapest.

This AM I listened to an assortment of Renaissance secular stuff played by Les Menestriers. This evening I think it will be one of the lesser known Sibelius symphones, either 3 or 6. Although I'm going through a big Debussy/Ravel kick; perhaps my CD set of the complete Ravel chamber music.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Andrew17321 said:
Matt

Have you tried the live HD broadcasts from the NY Metropolitan Opera? My local cinema receives these broadcasts, and fortunately it has great equipment and acoustics. So the performances are really terrific, both visually and acoustically, and it gets over the attenuation of the sound you mentioned. The casts are beyond what I could see in Scotland too. I now prefer these events to travelling into the city and going to real live Opera,

Andrew

Thanks, Andrew, that's a great tip. I'll look out for them. I'm rather spoilt: my wife's company is a big supporter of the ROH.

Having now set up a decent 2-channel hi-fi system connected to my TV, I'm planning to invest in some opera DVDs.

It's great to see this thread is livening up. I hope you come back often! Ditto Jeff below!

jeffg2020 said:
It's true Brahms is (oddly) divisive. But I think the F-minor piano quintet is one of his more well known pieces. I have a bunch of LPs of it; I guess my fave is Curzon and the Budapest.

This AM I listened to an assortment of Renaissance secular stuff played by Les Menestriers. This evening I think it will be one of the lesser known Sibelius symphones, either 3 or 6. Although I'm going through a big Debussy/Ravel kick; perhaps my CD set of the complete Ravel chamber music.

Please do post more on recordings that excite you! I spend far too much money on classical CDs and am always keen on recommendations.

:cheers:

Matt

Andrew17321

Nov 12, 2008
Visit site
Matt

Lucky you with the ROH. I have quite a number of Opera DVDs, which I enjoy greatly. Interestingly, I have a couple of MetOpera ones recorded at the same time as live transmissions which I had previously seen. Being in a large cinema auditorium with good acoustics (and with an audience of like minded people) was more enthralling than seeing and listening on my own equipment.

While I sometimes spend 'real money' on recent CDs, I pick up a lot for £1 or two in charity shops. That way I can try out lots of composers/artists/pieces without thinking too much about about whether I will enjoy them greatly. Some CDs have been an 'interesting learning experience', some have been outstanding, some have introduced me to new music genres. It is a great adventure; it takes a little time, but not much money.

Andrew

jeffg2020

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
People have mentioned the Central European 20th c. stuff. And I agree, it's great. But don't forget the French. I mean Milhaud and Poulenc in particular. And the lesser lights of Les Six: Ibert, Honneger, etc. But also Faure. We think of him as a 19th c. composer, but he died in 1925. And if he stuff he wrote in the decade or so before his death isn't exactly what we think of as 20th c. music, it's not really 19th c. either. In any case, there's a very good CD on Naxos of Poulenc's chamber music, you can pick it up for about $6.

Andrew17321

Nov 12, 2008
Visit site
Just found it four days, ago and have played it six times, in rapture. I bought the CD (second hand) for Schubert's Piano Quintet, which I like very much, ten days ago. I only got round to playing the other piece on the CD on Thursday. So, what is it? Yo-yo Ma (cello) and Emanuel Ax (piano) playing Schubert's Arpeggione Sonata, D821. A wonderful piece; wonderful playing.

Andrew

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
jeffg2020 said:

Yes, quite right - the F-minor piano quintet is hardly unknown. Still, I think Brahms tends to be associated with his orchestral work more than his chamber - and it's here that he seems to be most divisive. Oddly, as you say ... a bit like Tchaikovsky. I seem to remember Simon Rattle, a man I admire enormously; and congratulations on his Order of Merit last month - saying with some pride that he had never in his entire spell with the CBSO conducted a piece by Tchaikovsky. Now I am not a massive fan of Tchaikovsky, but if he did say this - and my memory may be failing me here, or this may just be an urban myth that I have translated into a fully-fledged memory - this seems a not entirely open-minded way of looking at things! The way Brahms can on occasion conjure up such similarly determined antagonism always surprises me.

On which note, I have just been listening to Mstislav Rostropovich and Rudolph Serkin's classic recording of Brahms' Cello Sonatas 1 and 2 on DG. Flawed these may be, with the foregrounding of the cello over the piano, but utterly compelling too. That instantly recognisable Rostropovich richness of tone is truly seductive, and there's that seemingly instinctive understanding between the players that is the hallmark of great chamber playing.

mikeparker59

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Sibelius Violin Concerto on Naxos CD

An excellent concerto often overlooked I fear

Bournemouth SO Henning Kraggerud on Violin.

CD is combined with Sinding Violin Concerto The first movement is very reminiscent of Bruch's Violin cocerto dah dah dada dah If you follow me! :boohoo:

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
51v4RBgYWJL.jpg

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
James7 said:
Oddly, as you say ... a bit like Tchaikovsky. I seem to remember Simon Rattle, a man I admire enormously; and congratulations on his Order of Merit last month - saying with some pride that he had never in his entire spell with the CBSO conducted a piece by Tchaikovsky. Now I am not a massive fan of Tchaikovsky, but if he did say this - and my memory may be failing me here, or this may just be an urban myth that I have translated into a fully-fledged memory - this seems a not entirely open-minded way of looking at things! The way Brahms can on occasion conjure up such similarly determined antagonism always surprises me.

I'm also not a big Tchaikovsky fan. But I've been giving this a spin this morning:

Symphonies 4, 5 and 6, Mravinsky, Leningrad Phil (DG)

dg4775911.jpg

What people say about these performances is true: wildly energetic, furious tempos. They deserve to be played loud. The recording's good, though the brass is a bit blarty.

Matt

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Andrew17321 said:
Just back from hearing Joshua Bell with The Academy of St Martin in the Fields Chamber Orchestra playing Brahms' Violin Concerto. Really splendid.

No HiFi can compare with the real thing. Whenever I go to live concerts my upgrade-itis just disappears; small improvement in my system are just not worth the bother.

Andrew

There is certainly something different about live performances. When they "take off" they are very special. Kissin in the Tchaikovsky PC 1 and Benjamin Grosvenor in the Saint-Saëns: PC 2 here in Birmingham in January were special.

On my CD player today I have Yuja Wang's "Transformation". Outstanding, indeed scintillating, pianism from this young talent. Well worth investing in.

Chris

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
I love David Darling's album Cello, his 'sequel' Darkwood is not quite as good but still outstanding.

Fauré's Requiem on Pentatone (Ed Spanjaard with Limburg SO) is a great intepretation, been listening again recently.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I think the Pappano recording is worth a shot:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Verdi-Messa-Requiem-Anja-Harteros/dp/B002HIEIVK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393977966&sr=8-1&keywords=verdi+requiem+pappano

IMO Pappano is a superb conductor, and the Italian repertoire is his home turf.

Matt

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
matt49 said:
I think the Pappano recording is worth a shot:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Verdi-Messa-Requiem-Anja-Harteros/dp/B002HIEIVK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393977966&sr=8-1&keywords=verdi+requiem+pappano

IMO Pappano is a superb conductor, and the Italian repertoire is his home turf.

Matt

Thanks I'll give it a whirl, despite the rather naff artwork! I'm sure it doesn't reflect the music.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Hiya folks. Sorry to butt in, but maybe someone can help. A few years back I heard (on the radio) a live recording of Hungarian Rhapsody. It sounded (at least) like a fairly recent recording, given the apparent sound quality. I've heard a few versions, but none compare. Any ideas?

Andrew17321

Nov 12, 2008
Visit site
Hi Tear Drop

I agree with Matt on this (the Pappano recording), but can I suggest you try to go to a live concert of Verdi's Requiem; no recording can really capture the atmosphere, and the vastness of the sound of the orchestra and choir. I have been to six performances over the years, the last one in Dublin last summer. It was so outstanding, and emotionally draining, that it still affects me as I write this. I have not listened to any of my CD recordings of Verdi's Requiem since that night last summer, and I suspect I never will.

Andrew

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
Andrew17321 said:
Hi Tear Drop

I agree with Matt on this (the Pappano recording), but can I suggest you try to go to a live concert of Verdi's Requiem; no recording can really capture the atmosphere, and the vastness of the sound of the orchestra and choir. I have been to six performances over the years, the last one in Dublin last summer. It was so outstanding, and emotionally draining, that it still affects me as I write this. I have not listened to any of my CD recordings of Verdi's Requiem since that night last summer, and I suspect I never will.

Andrew

Yeah, I agree. A Verdi's Requiem has never seemed to come my way in the places I have lived over the last 15 years. If and when it does I'll be there. So, of the six performances, were any performed in a church or cathedral? I like the idea of listening in that type of acoustic.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Tear Drop said:
Andrew17321 said:
Hi Tear Drop

Andrew

Yeah, I agree. A Verdi's Requiem has never seemed to come my way in the places I have lived over the last 15 years. If and when it does I'll be there. So, of the six performances, were any performed in a church or cathedral? I like the idea of listening in that type of acoustic.

I've owned the John Eliot Gardiner recording for many years and I've not really been motivated to look much further. Played on original instruments with a top notch vocal line up (including von Otter) and recorded in All Hallows, London it is simply stunning IMO. Gardiner drives the performance forward with great intensity and the recording is superb. This is a very clear recommendation from me.

Chris

PS There is a new (2013) version by Barenboim and the La Scala orchestra which has had great reviews. It has a glittering vocal line up including my favourite mezzo of the day Elina Garancha. I've not heard it yet but a friend has told me that I must.

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
Covenanter said:
I've owned the John Eliot Gardiner recording for many years and I've not really been motivated to look much further. Played on original instruments with a top notch vocal line up (including von Otter) and recorded in All Hallows, London it is simply stunning IMO. Gardiner drives the performance forward with great intensity and the recording is superb. This is a very clear recommendation from me.

Chris

PS There is a new (2013) version by Barenboim and the La Scala orchestra which has had great reviews. It has a glittering vocal line up including my favourite mezzo of the day Elina Garancha. I've not heard it yet but a friend has told me that I must.

Chris, thanks for the recommendation, I don't actually have a huge amount of Barenboim recordings, a situation that will have to be rectified.

I actually have the Gardiner recording and it is very good, but I have found it a little over the top/bombastic. I haven't listened to it in a while and I do absolutely love period instrument recordings. It may be time for a fresh listen, especially since my system has evolved quite significantly since I last put it on.

matthewpiano

This afternoon I have been delighting in Helene Grimaud's wonderful Bach disc from 2008. She is such a stylish and communicative player and there is always an awareness of the overall structure of the music.

On the subject of the Verdi Requiem, I have and love the Pappano recording and would highly recommend it for anyone seeking a full blooded performance in good clean sound. Pappano is always stylish in the Italian repertory. I haven't heard the new Barenboim recording but I would anticipate special things from it. Might have to pick that one up!

matthewpiano

A recording of Brahms' Op.116, Op.117, and Op.118 sets of piano pieces played by Martin Jones. The ambisonic recording technique utilised by Nimbus gives the piano space to breathe within the acoustic of the recording space and I like the resultant perspective, which is more akin to sitting about half way back in a recital as opposed to the 'head in the piano' approach more commonly taken. Jones isn't as persuasive as the wonderful Julius Katchen but there is plenty of beauty and interest in his playing and these are worthy recordings.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
Hiya folks. Sorry to butt in, but maybe someone can help. A few years back I heard (on the radio) a live recording of Hungarian Rhapsody. It sounded (at least) like a fairly recent recording, given the apparent sound quality. I've heard a few versions, but none compare. Any ideas?

I'll take that as a 'no' then...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts