What are you listening to?

Page 106 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

nads

fever-ray-cover.jpg

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
boston.jpg
thirdstage.jpg

Boston - `Don`t Look Back` (vinyl) Standout track `A Man I`ll Never Be`

Boston - `Third Stage` (vinyl) Standout track `My Destination` (short but sweet)

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
stevee1966:Fish - Vigil In A Wilderness Of Mirrors plus loads of Fish-era Marillion, in preparation for the Fish Fan Club Convention in Leamington Spa this weekend.

Great songwriter. Hope you have a good time!

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:survivor:
200px-Def_Leppard_-_Pyromania.jpg

Def Leppard - `Pyromania` (vinyl) Their finest hour.

No no no, that was

Def_Leppard_High_N_Dry.jpg

Sorry John, Survivor is right on this one. 'Photograph' is a classic.

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
stevee1966:Fish - Vigil In A Wilderness Of Mirrors

plus loads of Fish-era Marillion, in preparation for the Fish Fan Club Convention in Leamington Spa this weekend.

And today at a different end of the spectrum :-

Faith No More - The Real Thing

A

Anonymous

sonic_youth-the-eternal-album_art1.jpg

Sonic Youth - The Eternal

bitte-orca.jpg

Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca

in-ear-park.jpg

Department Of Eagles - In Ear Park

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Got "Kitty, Daisy and Lewis" by, errr, Kitty, Daisy and Lewis through the post yesterday, ordered it after the missus saw them on that show with "Natalie Adenoids off Eastenders", yound brother and sisters combo that do 50s rock and roll, including setting up their own studio in the front room entirely using salvaged 50s recording equipment even down to cutting their own acetates.

What can I say? It's rubbish. Actually that's a bit harsh, for what it is it's laudable enough, as an exercise in using this old equipment they've done well, but it just sounds terrible, the levels are all over the place, one minute the vocals are overwhelming the backing instruments, the next you can barely hear the vocals. Recording straight to 8 track master it doesn't sound like it's had any kind of production at all, the big problem is it doesn't actually sound as good as genuine recordings from the 50s, such as Les Paul (ok bit of a high bar, the guy was a recording genius!). It's very rough.

The other problem is as a musical combo they don't actually sound that tight; live it probably works but on record they're not really that together, rythymically they wander a little, vocally the girls don't have fantastic voices, Lewis has some soul and he blows a good harp but right now I think they need another couple of years rehearsing before it really works.

Shame, I really wanted to like this, I love their philosophy and the live shows looked good (on the TV, natch!) but it just doesn't quite work.

A

Anonymous

johnbwfc:Try "It'll end in tears" available at Amazon, and then maybe Dead Can Dance if you like it.

I Agree totally, it's still one of the best records I own. I love Dead Can Dance as well but they can be an acquired taste.

Let's face it 4AD, in it's original incarnation, was one of the most original labels ever, from the sheer quality of the musical talent on their roster to the equally outstanding artwork of the records - courtesy of 23 Envelope. If you haven't heard many of the original 4AD artists then your in for a major treat as there are a LOT of classic 4AD albums.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts