What are you listening to?

Page 104 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

daveh75

515WFSFMR0L._SS400_.jpg

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
devin.jpg
closer.jpg
jerusalem.jpg

Devin Townsend - `Terria` (cd) Astonishing!

Josh Groban - `Closer` (cd) Not as good as his debut but still pretty decent. Standout track `Broken Vow`.

Jerusalem - `Jerusalem` (cd) Terrific early 70`s rock produced by Ian Gillan. Sadly only album by this band, just re-issued.

A

Anonymous

2wejssk.jpg

When my car was stolen a couple of months ago, I was more worried about the CDs and other bits I had in there. Among the CDs was Little Walter - Blues With A Feeling. I brilliant 2 disc set with featuring (probably) my favourite harmonica player. I was shocked to see how much it would cost to replace it when I was looking on Amazon for it. Couldn't find it on the UK site, and the US site had it new for about $120 and user for about $50. Damn, wish I'd had fully comprehensive insurance I thought.

Luckily, the car was recovered, and although the car was ruined, all that was taken from inside was teh Stop Lock, my coat and an easter egg. They had pulled all my CDs out of the glove box but discarded them on the back seat. Apparently car thieves don't like blues or rock. Their loss. Needless to say that I won't be keeping this particular CD in my car any more.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
daveh75:

51UuB4y2pLL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Interesting, I bought this, along with La Roux's album. I've never bought a chart album before in my life and then I went and bought two in the same day!

Quite interesting comparing them, I prefer Little Boots' songs, but I like the production on La Roux better, I found the kick-drum and hi-hat on Little Boots to be really soft, as if the edges had been rolled off, there's more of an edge to the sounds and tones on La Roux, purer if you like.

Philosophically La Roux are VERY 80's (there's still no excuse for bringing back the New Romantic hair-do though...), real early synth type stuff, a lot of it could have been played on old monophonic synths back then without too much trouble I should think, they reminded me a little of early Human League.

Little Boots by contrast uses the full whack of modern production techniques, generally to good effect, giving a much more modern feel, although, ironically (maybe), she's the one that has Phil Oakey guesting on a track (Symmetry, one of the strongest tracks on the album, hopefully it might prompt a resurgance of interest in Human League, currently unsigned, which is a proper crime...).

Despite the obvious female-led electro-pop comparisons, they're VERY different albums, if I had to choose a favourite it'd be La Roux for my ears (there are some great noises on this record) but Little Boots for my feet (arf!); song-wise I can't help feeling that La Roux are just a little too retro, they really hammer the early-80's feel to death, to the detriment of some of the songs at times. That said, current single, Bulletproof, is a cracker. If you want some decent songs that you can sing along to, buy Little Boots, if you want to wallow in 80's nostalgia, buy La Roux.

TRENDING THREADS