What are you listening to?

Page 39 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
T

the record spot

Frank Sinatra Sings For Only The Lonely. A classic; Sinatra at his most downbeat, spacious orchestration by Nelson Riddle - a work of melancholy genius.

162137_1_f.jpg

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Borrowed a Marantz 7200 KI Sig and the wife and son went out. Bliss
Played

Dire Straits, “Brothers in Arms, Love over Gold & Making Movies”
Neil Young “ Harvest”
Deep Purple “In Rock”
Gary Moore “Wild Frontier”
Led Zeppelin “1,2,3 & 4.
Iron Maiden “Somewhere back in Time”all off CD

matthewpiano

Mozart Piano Concertos K488 and K491 played by the wonderful British pianist Clifford Curzon with the LSO and Kertesz on Decca. Curzon plays with such grace and beauty. His attention to the sound of every note was absolutely meticulous and yet there is a sense of over-arching structure that evades many pianists. Wonderful stuff.

matthewpiano

The Lindsays playing Debussy's String Quartet on ASV, followed by the first volume of Wilhelm Backhaus from the Philips 'Great Pianists of the 20th Century' series, including a wonderful reading of Brahms Piano Concerto No.2 in B Flat.

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
I'm listenong to Aiwa - Aiwa (French arabic hip hop, not generally my thing but Aiwa are strangely compelling).

having just been saddened to hear of John Martyn's death 'Sold air' will be going on next.

A

Anonymous

This chap Tyler Rix who has been making the headlines for choosing to be a classical saxophone player rather than playing for West Ham! Lovely Sunday afternoon chilled tunes. And then I think a complete change of mood and tempo - Paul Oakenfold's Goa mix perhaps...

matthewpiano

Late Brahms piano music, played by Julius Katchen on Decca. Katchen had an innate understanding of Brahms and its still one of the best overviews of his piano music ever recorded. Radu Lupu and Wilhelm Backhaus were both also wonderful Brahms players.

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
The Sixteen recoded at York Minster (it sounds very big).

I should be listening to The Freak Zone on BBC 6 Music but my Freeview and DAB are both unplugged.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
the record spot:Lightweight before bedtime: Nerina Pallot's 2006 album, Fires. The one with Everybody's Gone To War. OK, fairly lightweight...!Had some Yes stuff on earlier - from The Word is Live 3-CD set. Nice mix of stuff; couple of good tracks from the Drama tour that rarely saw the light of day and were missed off the album.

'Fires' is a class album. She is underrated as a songwriter. Love her voice, too. Tori Amos meets Kate Bush.

Ive been listening to:

Pearl Jam - 'Footsteps' (off the 'Jeremy' cd single)

Los Campesinos - 'Hold on now, youngster'

Luther Vandross - 'Dance with my father'

Deftones - 'Around the fur'

Ryan Adams - '29'

Scott Matthews - 'Passing stranger'

Shawn Smith - 'Let it all begin'

Fiona Apple - 'Tidal' 

matthewpiano

This evening I'm relaxing to Ward Marston's superb transfers of some of John McCormack's 78s on 'The McCormack Edition Volume 2' (Naxos 8.110329). McCormack, for me, had one of the most beautiful and lyrical tenor voices to ever grace the earth and his sheer artistry in both irish song and operatic music is a delight.

Thanks to the skills of Ward Marston so many of these great singers of the past can be enjoyed in wonderfully clear transfers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts