What a waste of 220 quid.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
The other day my friend told me he needed some new headphones so I said you should think about getting some Sennheiser Momentum headphones. I even showed him the What hi-fi review they did of them in the magazine a while back. Anyway he comes around mine today with some new Beats headphones, I want to strangle him. What a way to waste 220 quid. Why do people continue to buy Beats headphones when there is so much better on the market? I just don't get it.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
The Beats headphones don't pick up much detail. My sony XBX-3ip earbuds sound much more detailed than the beats ever will and they cost much less. I guess he's happy but he would of been so much more happier if he had brought better headphones as they would of picked up more detail insead of just focusing on massive amounts of bass.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Unfortunately many people see others wearing them, see the price, see Ronaldo in a pair and think they must be the best.

I've lost count of the number of people who assume I will have Beats myself as I run a headphones business. Because they assume that they are the best.

Oh dear. It makes me laugh when I see someone wearing them. May as well drop £20 notes down a drain.

csq2

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Don't expect everyone to be experts in this field. I agree with you, he's paying 220 quid for all the marketing BS.

proffski

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
simonlewis said:
I guess some people think they know best regardless of what other people tell them.

Agreed, sadly I know far too many fitting that description. Then they have the audacity to come back to sort out ther problems they have acrued having ignored the advice they asked for in the 1st place! >)

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
csq2 said:
Don't expect everyone to be experts in this field. I agree with you, he's paying 220 quid for all the marketing BS.

in fairness, it's pretty ripe in all walks of the hifi field, why should beats be treat any differently? ;) :D

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
If he listened to them before purchase and liked the sound, then who are we to judge - each to thier own and all that.

That said, listened to a pair just this Saturday out of curiosity and for me they are truly terrible. Dull, lifeless, muddied bass that just sucks the life out of any other frequencies you might be lucky enough to hear.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
This quote from an article in The Guardian last year sums things up nicely...

"Sound quality, though, isn't necessarily the point – which may have been missed by more traditional "audiophile" brands such as Germany's Sennheiser, the Dutch brand Philips and the American Bose, who were caught unaware that colouring the earpiece and cord green or red could affect sales as much as their sound quality."

jjbomber

MrReaper182 said:
Why do people continue to buy Beats headphones when there is so much better on the market? I just don't get it.

People buy Apple products for exactly the same reasons; fashion, hype, show-off. That is human nature and some companies are much better at exploiting it than others. You can hardly blame the marketing men.

A fool and his money are soon parted. But how did the fool get the money in the first place, that's what I want to know!

jjbomber said:
MrReaper182 said:
Why do people continue to buy Beats headphones when there is so much better on the market? I just don't get it.

People buy Apple products for exactly the same reasons; fashion, hype, show-off. That is human nature and some companies are much better at exploiting it than others. You can hardly blame the marketing men.

A fool and his money are soon parted. But how did the fool get the money in the first place, that's what I want to know!

Actually, people buy Apple products because they just work. They do what they're intended to do. I've never had problems with my MacBook Pro, while my previous Windows laptops gave me problems. My wife had an iPhone 4S. It was flawless, never hanged and the call quality was superb. My HTC Sensation at the time gave me numerous problems, with call dropouts, freezing, poor battery etc. It's another matter that she got bored of its UI and sold it within a year for a Nexus 4. I lost a lot of money selling my Android / Windows phones in the past, but the iPhone 4S held on to its value very well. So in reality, the cost of ownership of an Apple product is less than the competition, because of high resale values.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
I usually dnt agree with most when it comes to hifi, but I agree on this topic the beats are just not good for music. Just bass & loud hard sound. If you listen to dance or rap, hiphop, up tempo music then look no futher.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
bigboss said:
Actually, people buy Apple products because they just work.....

and conversely I've had 2 iphones brick themselves on me, and all of the new apple stuff is all glued in so you can't even touch it yourself and the list of problems that people had with ios7.... Also, how many threads have we seen on here to do with itunes, nas's, airport expresses? ;) It doesn't always just work anymore.

Not to say it's not good kit, on the contrary, but given about 80% of the people I know with macbooks use them to look at the web, it could definetly be classed as a fashion accessory, given a chromebook at at a quarter of the price would do that exact same job.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
jjbomber said:
MrReaper182 said:

Actually, people buy Apple products because they just work. They do what they're intended to do. I've never had problems with my MacBook Pro, while my previous Windows laptops gave me problems. My wife had an iPhone 4S. It was flawless, never hanged and the call quality was superb. My HTC Sensation at the time gave me numerous problems, with call dropouts, freezing, poor battery etc. It's another matter that she got bored of its UI and sold it within a year for a Nexus 4. I lost a lot of money selling my Android / Windows phones in the past, but the iPhone 4S held on to its value very well. So in reality, the cost of ownership of an Apple product is less than the competition, because of high resale values.
Dnt totally agree with you, cause apple products are over priced as far as I am concerned. People are still buying apple phones just based on the name & marketing & samsung is quickly taking over in the phone department. Apple is becoming complacent just like Nokia did many years ago. In regards to tablets apple it still on top of its game but I got a feeling this will not be for long.

Native_bon said:
bigboss said:
jjbomber said:
MrReaper182 said:

Dnt totally agree with you, cause apple products are over priced as far as I am concerned. People are still buying apple phones just based on the name & marketing & samsung is quickly taking over in the phone department. Apple is becoming complacent just like Nokia did many years ago. In regards to tablets apple it still on top of its game but I got a feeling this will not be for long.

IMO, Samsung is a piece of expensive plastic. They don't feel premium quality at all. HTC One beats it in this department.

My wife got £350 after selling her iPhone 4S after 1 year of use, while I got £45 for my HTC Sensation after 18 months of use, and £80 for Lumia 920 after 12 months of use. Do the maths yourself.

cheeseboy said:
bigboss said:
Actually, people buy Apple products because they just work.....

and conversely I've had 2 iphones brick themselves on me, and all of the new apple stuff is all glued in so you can't even touch it yourself and the list of problems that people had with ios7.... Also, how many threads have we seen on here to do with itunes, nas's, airport expresses? ;) It doesn't always just work anymore.

Not to say it's not good kit, on the contrary, but given about 80% of the people I know with macbooks use them to look at the web, it could definetly be classed as a fashion accessory, given a chromebook at at a quarter of the price would do that exact same job.

I'm actually surprised you would buy an Apple product, knowing you by your posts. ;)

People (Geeks) often fail to realise that only a minority of the population is interested in taking their phones apart. My HTC One, and previously Lumia 920 are sealed units as well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts