Hegel H190 - Good used buy reliability wise?

Oxfordian

A friend of mine knowing that I am in the market for a new amp contacted me today and asked if I would be interested in taking a shop's demo H190 at some point early next year - the store is upgrading some of their demo stock and will be selling off some items to create the space for the incoming stock.

At this moment I have no idea on what the price is going to be so focus is on the reliability of the amplifier from any users who have one.

My current amp is the baby of Hegel's range the H95 and so far I have had no issues, hopefully any H190 users can report the same good news or let me know if there are any issues I need to be aware of.

daytona600

£1995 Six on Ebay at present Hegel £3200 RRP
£1200 drop in 2years , They do not hold value used & Very expensive for a unit made in China
Great hifi you will never use a penny on & never comes upo on the used market
£3300 will get a ATC amp+speakers SIA2-100 + SCM7 made in UK & will go UP in value each year

Last edited:
Reactions: nopiano

Amormusic

Mar 12, 2023
Visit site
Reliability, I've no idea. But I've been impressed by Hegel on several occasions when I've heard them at shows. I'd be interested in your thoughts when you get a demo.

I have seriously considered picking up a H190 and sacking off my passive pre, ICE monos, and valve power amp to rationalise and simplify what I own. Plus less boxes and less faff. I have a very sneaking suspicion it would pair beautifully with my Graham Audio speakers, but it would be a bit of a punt.

I'll stick this on watch for when you have a listen.

£1995 Six on Ebay at present Hegel £3200 RRP
£1200 drop in 2years , They do not hold value used & Very expensive for a unit made in China
Great hifi you will never use a penny on & never comes upo on the used market
£3300 will get a ATC amp+speakers SIA2-100 + SCM7 made in UK & will go UP in value each year
The official RRP dropped from £3400 to 3000 not too long ago. They’re discontinued, hence the price drop.

Reactions: Oxfordian
A friend of mine knowing that I am in the market for a new amp contacted me today and asked if I would be interested in taking a shop's demo H190 at some point early next year - the store is upgrading some of their demo stock and will be selling off some items to create the space for the incoming stock.

At this moment I have no idea on what the price is going to be so focus is on the reliability of the amplifier from any users who have one.

My current amp is the baby of Hegel's range the H95 and so far I have had no issues, hopefully any H190 users can report the same good news or let me know if there are any issues I need to be aware of.
No reason whatsoever why it should be any different to your amp.

Oxfordian

The official RRP dropped from £3400 to 3000 not too long ago. They’re discontinued, hence the price drop.
Ah, I wondered that as I've been doing some research this afternoon and noticed a hell of a lot of stores offering the H190 at £2400 or thereabouts, the used price on that well known auction site is going to take a hit as most seemed to be selling for around £2k.

Reactions: nopiano
Ah, I wondered that as I've been doing some research this afternoon and noticed a hell of a lot of stores offering the H190 at £2400 or thereabouts, the used price on that well known auction site is going to take a hit as most seemed to be selling for around £2k.
I’m sure second hand prices will rise a bit once dealers are out of stock - there’s none left at the distributor now.

OP H360 is also worth bearing in mind. H360 has greater power, better overall performance and should also cost less (y)

Btw, ATC passive monitors such as curved SCM7's sound even better with the H360 :)
Having heard both, I’d have to disagree. And given you’ve probably never heard a 390, I’m not unsure whether your opinion is valid on this one. The 390 and 360 are the same power on paper, and the 390 uses an improved DAC and steaming board, having been heavily based on the H590.

And any long discontinued product is going to cost less than the model that replaces it. This is just another one of those attempted spoiling posts for existing dealers, like the recommendation of old Rotel amps instead of any amp you don’t stock.

Last edited:
Having heard both, I’d have to disagree. And given you’ve probably never heard a 390, I’m not unsure whether your opinion is valid on this one. The 390 and 360 are the same power on paper, and the 390 uses an improved DAC and steaming board, having been heavily based on the H590.

And any long discontinued product is going to cost less than the model that replaces it. This is just another one of those attempted spoiling posts for existing dealers, like the recommendation of old Rotel amps instead of any amp you don’t stock.

I better not mention that I am currently using basic unbranded 500 strand OFC speaker cables with a £9k pair of speakers for the fear of a backlash of potentially spoiling the sales of a supply merchant. Oops I just did :D

Btw, you're more than welcome to recommend the A85, etc.

Last edited:
I better not mention that I am currently using basic unbranded 500 strand OFC speaker cables with a £9k pair of speakers for the fear of a backlash of potentially spoiling the sales of a supply merchant. Oops I just did :D

Btw, you're more than welcome to recommend the A85, etc.
:ROFLMAO:

Not keen on that range of Arcam myself, and I personally care not what cables you use. Whether they’re cheaper than the ones you used to recommend or not (Black Rhodium, Xperience etc). I wasn’t keen on those either. Nor 500 strand cable. But that’s just me.

Oxfordian

OP H360 is also worth bearing in mind. H360 has greater power, better overall performance and should also cost less (y)

Btw, ATC passive monitors such as curved SCM7's sound even better with the H360 :)
Over a 190? I thought that the H190 was one of the best whereas the H360/390/590/600 took you very firmly into the realm of rapidly diminishing returns.

:)

And what the heck does this have to do with reliability??

Oxfordian

People love discussing what others are doing and offering suggestions on 'what else could or should be considered'.

Until I get a price from my friend it's only a theoretical exercise anyway, as far as I know the dealer may have already have let someone else have it.

There hasn't been one don't get a Hegel response so I guess that I am fairly safe with a used one if I go down that route.

:ROFLMAO:

Not keen on that range of Arcam myself, and I personally care not what cables you use. Whether they’re cheaper than the ones you used to recommend or not (Black Rhodium, Xperience etc). I wasn’t keen on those either. Nor 500 strand cable. But that’s just me.
Unless anyone has any information regarding long term reliability of said amplifier I guess it's all irrelevant in this case.

Or this looks a bargain. A nearly new ATC for £1850.

It should have four years warranty remaining at least.

PS. A friend has had a H360 for some years, at least six I’d guess, and he’s had no problems.

Last edited:
Over a 190? I thought that the H190 was one of the best whereas the H360/390/590/600 took you very firmly into the realm of rapidly diminishing returns.

:)

Yes, the H360 is superior to the H190. Although good however the H190 sounds somewhat flat and lackluster in comparison to the H360.

Btw, and out of interest if you are after an all in one then another amplifier to also consider at a similar retail value that's kind of somewhat between the H190, H360 and H390 is Devialet's Expert 140 Pro. One of the key aspects that Devialet offer is SAM (Speaker Active Matching). This enables their amplification to optimise itself in real time and with loudspeaker protection to a specific pair of loudspeakers. In fact their is a SAM profile for your model of loudspeakers -

Btw, there is a Expert 140 Pro listed on the bay @ £2k

TRENDING THREADS