Focal Elegia

rayolight

Jul 21, 2021
Visit site
Feel I really need to put pen to paper regarding the above headphones. What hifi recently did a write up on them as they were being sold off at a very reasonable price. I am a little sceptical about headphones that normally sell for 1k +,and as in my later years,I am 75,upper frequencies are normally a little lacking to my ears,however as the headphones were £385 on Amazon, I decided to take a punt as could always send them back if not up to my liking. I currently have pairs of Beyerdynamic DT1990 pro,Sennheiser hd540 reference, and hd600.,so they needed to be pretty good to get my approval.
Have to say after leaving them to run in for approximately 8hrs with some heavy Bob marley, I tested them with a brand new Stephen Marley, Old Souls record.
Results, absolutely blown away with just about everything, Soundstage, clarity ,bass,instrument location, backing singers,squeak from chord changes, comfort,everything was superb. Only negative I can find is the silly 1.2mtr connection lead which I solved with an extension cable very quickly.
Have used Whathifi over the years and have successfully purchased many products I have been happy with, the latest being the Cambridge audio CXN v2 Streamer which is superb.
Just like to say if anyone out there is considering trying them,in my honest opinion they are definitely worth a try,I will definitely be keeping mine👍

Attachments

• 1000012037.jpg
    1000012037.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 4

Friesiansam

Feel I really need to put pen to paper regarding the above headphones. What hifi recently did a write up on them as they were being sold off at a very reasonable price. I am a little sceptical about headphones that normally sell for 1k +,and as in my later years,I am 75,upper frequencies are normally a little lacking to my ears,however as the headphones were £385 on Amazon, I decided to take a punt as could always send them back if not up to my liking. I currently have pairs of Beyerdynamic DT1990 pro,Sennheiser hd540 reference, and hd600.,so they needed to be pretty good to get my approval.
Have to say after leaving them to run in for approximately 8hrs with some heavy Bob marley, I tested them with a brand new Stephen Marley, Old Souls record.
Results, absolutely blown away with just about everything, Soundstage, clarity ,bass,instrument location, backing singers,squeak from chord changes, comfort,everything was superb. Only negative I can find is the silly 1.2mtr connection lead which I solved with an extension cable very quickly.
Have used Whathifi over the years and have successfully purchased many products I have been happy with, the latest being the Cambridge audio CXN v2 Streamer which is superb.
Just like to say if anyone out there is considering trying them,in my honest opinion they are definitely worth a try,I will definitely be keeping mine👍
I have had my pair for 3 years and, they sound great with my Pathos DAC/headphone amp. Plugged in to my Chord Mojo, they just make the Mojo seem poor, dull and lifeless. I bought myself a custom cable from Oidio Sound in Cheltenham, https://oidiosound.co.uk/headphone-cables/mongrel-elear Beats me why the standard one is so short and stiff.

When I bought mine they were £800 and still in production, so not discounted. One of the mods here bought a pair and, couldn't get on with them at all.

They look like a great choice, congratulations. Also look beautifully made.

This time last year I took a punt on some Oppo PM3, which had been discontinued. Found an unopened pair not too far away and did the deal. As a reluctant headphone user they are very persuasive, through I’m aware the headband and ear pads can crumble as they are essentially pvc. But the sounds is great!

Nevertheless I found myself looking at those Focal offers recently…!

Are they closed back?
There seems to be a trend these days in short cable use because they think you are going to use them with portable devices rather than in at home setting.
My Denon headphones are the same but luckily I have a decent extension cable because there is no way I would use them on the move.

Reactions: WayneKerr

rayolight

Jul 21, 2021
Visit site
Are they closed back?
There seems to be a trend these days in short cable use because they think you are going to use them with portable devices rather than in at home setting.
My Denon headphones are the same but luckily I have a decent extension cable because there is no way I would use them on the move.
Yes,they are closed back,really comfortable, the maker recommends 40hrs burn in,well, all I can say is they sound amazing now so looking forward to future listening

rayolight

Jul 21, 2021
Visit site
I have had my pair for 3 years and, they sound great with my Pathos DAC/headphone amp. Plugged in to my Chord Mojo, they just make the Mojo seem poor, dull and lifeless. I bought myself a custom cable from Oidio Sound in Cheltenham, https://oidiosound.co.uk/headphone-cables/mongrel-elear Beats me why the standard one is so short and stiff.

When I bought mine they were £800 and still in production, so not discounted. One of the mods here bought a pair and, couldn't get on with them at all.
Do you think the new cable made a difference to the sound,I don't think in honesty my hearing is critical enough to notice a difference, though I have found cables improved the rest of my system

rayolight

Jul 21, 2021
Visit site

This time last year I took a punt on some Oppo PM3, which had been discontinued. Found an unopened pair not too far away and did the deal. As a reluctant headphone user they are very persuasive, through I’m aware the headband and ear pads can crumble as they are essentially pvc. But the sounds is great!

Really think you should give them a punt,they are incredibly good,you have the option of Amazon who are selling them at a crazy price at moment and of course if you're not impressed you can send them back👍

Reactions: Revolutions

WillisPagac

Oct 27, 2023
Visit site
I am also thinking about buying it. I am just making sure it is worth spending money on it.

rayolight

Jul 21, 2021
Visit site
I am also thinking about buying it. I am just making sure it is worth spending money on it.
I also took a while to make the plunge,but they really are excellent, very comfortable, and,provide a very high level of quality sound. Some reviews comment on a lack of bass,I didn't find that,and sound is very subjective to the individual, suggest you do the Amazon approach, you can always send them back 😉

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
I saw these were massively reduced & wondered what was up. Reading the comments now I'm tempted to buy a pair.

Does anyone use them out & about? Also interested in how they perform vs noise cancelling headphones on a flight or the bus/tube - would be great if I could retire my Bose QC headphones as well as home listening

Friesiansam

I saw these were massively reduced & wondered what was up. Reading the comments now I'm tempted to buy a pair.

Does anyone use them out & about? Also interested in how they perform vs noise cancelling headphones on a flight or the bus/tube - would be great if I could retire my Bose QC headphones as well as home listening
They do not isolate like ANC headphones, there is still some leakage both ways.

Gray

Do you think the new cable made a difference to the sound,I don't think in honesty my hearing is critical enough to notice a difference, though I have found cables improved the rest of my system
That last sentence suggests that, on the contrary, your hearing must be more acute than the vast majority of humans Ray.

It also suggests that, if you could make a headphone cable out of whatever it was that improved your system (and, with effort you probably could), then a difference would be noticeable on your headphones 🤔

rayolight

Jul 21, 2021
Visit site
That last sentence suggests that, on the contrary, your hearing must be more acute than the vast majority of humans Ray.

It also suggests that, if you could make a headphone cable out of whatever it was that improved your system (and, with effort you probably could), then a difference would be noticeable on your headphones 🤔
The cables I was refering to were power cables,I found they did reduce the background noise on my amps . They did not make any noticeable difference to the audio,and with my age and its setbacks on hearing didn't think it would.

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS