What a waste of 220 quid.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
bigboss said:
I'm actually surprised you would buy an Apple product, knowing you by your posts. ;)

People (Geeks) often fail to realise that only a minority of the population is interested in taking their phones apart. My HTC One, and previously Lumia 920 are sealed units as well.

on the contrary, I will purchase what is best for the job :) At the time, the iphone 4 was just that. Unfortunately as apple seem to refuse to move ios on to the next level, it's not what I need anymore :(

I wasn't on about the phones actually, I was on about all of their new computers. They lost any green credentials when they moved to their new system of "you can't replace anything" without it either going back to them, or buying some new kit :( http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2012/07/12/apples-loses-green-credibility-with-macbook-battery-and-registry-withdrawal/

Again, what percentage of people actually replace and upgrade parts on their laptops? I've never done it. I've had a Vaio since 2005, bought another one in 2009 when it became painfully slow and did not improve even after doing a factory reset, then again upgraded last year to a Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Funny you say that bigboss. Got a colleague at work who had everything Apple., but saw the HTC one tried it out & said he will never go back to an Apple phone. Inshort he said Apple was an Absolute pain to use after experiencing the HTC ONE.

Even my wife got bored of Apple's UI and now owns a Nexus 4. It's another matter that her sister is a Google employee and her brother is an ex-Google employee and official Google tester currently - they weren't happy when she went from an HTC to the iPhone. My wife even has some Google shares, so Google succeeding is in our interest. :)

That's not the point at all. Many people are happy with their UI, and AirPlay, AirPrint etc. (where Android is still lagging) If it works for some, so be it. I don't regard Apple products as a mere show off accessory.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
bigboss said:
Again, what percentage of people actually replace and upgrade parts on their laptops? I've never done it. I've had a Vaio since 2005, bought another one in 2009 when it became painfully slow and did not improve even after doing a factory reset, then again upgraded last year to a Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga.

every laptop I've had I've upgraded/replaced at least the battery, memory and hard drive and a lot of people I know do as well.

However, as we're discussing, Apple are trying to make their products disposable so that people feel the urge to buy new ones every year, rather than being able to upgrade and keep them going for a bit longer. Not something I'm keen on from any manufacturer, not just Apple as it creates and increases a disposable culture, which given the crap that goes on in the background for making all these tech products, is not a nice way forward imho...

I don't know if urging people to buy new ones rather than replace parts (like electric toothbrushes) is the primary aim. Everyone want a thinner, sleeker model, which is easier with sealed units. Even my ThinkPad Yoga's RAM is soldered. The only user replaceable part is the hard drive.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
bigboss said:
There will always be differing opinions :)

http://macdailynews.com/2012/06/22/why-apples-sealed-non-user-serviceable-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-is-a-very-good-thing/

that's fair enough, but he does kind of trip over himself when he says "the decline is not due to some evil plan by manufacturers, it’s due to the public desire for better products to appear regularly. The desire to buy good, low price, and reliable products that work out of the box is the driver for seeing the lack of ‘fixability’ in the new laptop line,” Pusateri writes “And it’s not a bad thing.”

That would be a lovely valid argument if the price of Apple products were going down, but they aren't ;) :D (tongue in cheek btw)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The last Sennheisers I owned (HD 555s) were great, but they were too hot to use for more than a few minutes at a time. My old Grado SR60i headphones just kept falling apart (lovely sound, lamentable build quality, especially considering what a careful user I am).

I could be tempted by some B&W P3s though.

I guess they might attract almost as much derision given that they look like they've had a brush with a talented designer (and seem to be popular with some Apple users).

Right now we are using four pairs of PX100 Mk IIs (bought in bulk and on impulse when John Lewis had them at a ridiculously low price one weekend) and I use some £50 Philips Bluetooth phones when I am out.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
bigboss said:
Even my wife got bored of Apple's UI and now owns a Nexus 4. It's another matter that her sister is a Google employee and her brother is an ex-Google employee and official Google tester currently - they weren't happy when she went from an HTC to the iPhone. My wife even has some Google shares, so Google succeeding is in our interest. :)

That's not the point at all. Many people are happy with their UI, and AirPlay, AirPrint etc. (where Android is still lagging) If it works for some, so be it. I don't regard Apple products as a mere show off accessory.

Hmmm. You have interests. You already know to beware people with "interests".

Alec said:
bigboss said:

Hmmm. You have interests. You already know to beware people with "interests".

And yet I'm supporting the argument for Apple! :grin:

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
They look alright to me, Chebby. Whereas the Beats (which I'm all in favour of folk buying if they want them, whatever the reason) look like an aged ad exec got together with some rapper to discuss what "da kidz" might like, sylistically, and how to sell it to them. It's image, and one I don't like, so even if I used head/earphones I'd give them a miss.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
MrReaper182 said:
......Why do people continue to buy Beats headphones when there is so much better on the market? I just don't get it.

Because 80% of people don't give a toss about sound quality it's more about what they look like, fashion accessories.

chebby said:

I wouldn't bother if I was you they sound bloody awful, nice fashion accessory though ;)

Psyopus

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
MrReaper182 said:
The other day my friend told me he needed some new headphones so I said you should think about getting some Sennheiser Momentum headphones. I even showed him the What hi-fi review they did of them in the magazine a while back. Anyway he comes around mine today with some new Beats headphones, I want to strangle him. What a way to waste 220 quid. Why do people continue to buy Beats headphones when there is so much better on the market? I just don't get it.

So did you strangle him?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
eggontoast said:
MrReaper182 said:
......Why do people continue to buy Beats headphones when there is so much better on the market? I just don't get it.

Because 80% of people don't give a toss about sound quality it's more about what they look like, fashion accessories.

chebby said:

I wouldn't bother if I was you they sound bloody awful, nice fashion accessory though ;)

This would be absolutely fine except for two things.

Firstly music enthusiasts might buy them assuming they are good hi-fi, they are expensive, sell well etc, etc.

They then find out that they sound awful and assume that all hi-fi products are like that, so give up and buy a new telly instead.

Secondly I feel that the effects Beats are having on the market are underestimated. Recent figures in the US show that Beats are not only the biggest sellers in the 'premium' (more than $100) market but that they sell as many as all the other brands put together.

I do not know the figures for the uk but I do know that Sennheiser are taking note. Sales of their better products are down and they are considering some sort of response, though what that will be I have no idea.

All this is fine if you are not bothered with the health of the hi-fi industry, after all people buy what they want and if they want fashion accessories rather than good headphones then fair enough. However if you are interested and like to see hi-fi improve year on year then maybe you should be bothered, when companies like Sennheiser, AKG, and the rest simply stop making premium headphones as they can not sell the numbers to be viable.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
eggontoast said:
MrReaper182 said:

in fairness, that 80% you tlak about probably upgraded from standard iphone headphones, so it would be massive leap in sound quality for them regardless of the price/fashion aspect.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
davedotco said:
This would be absolutely fine except for two things.

Firstly music enthusiasts might buy them assuming they are good hi-fi, they are expensive, sell well etc, etc.

They then find out that they sound awful and assume that all hi-fi products are like that, so give up and buy a new telly instead.

as i just said though, depends what they are upgrading from. chances are it's stock headphones, so they will notice an improvement in sound, and then maybe go on to investigate futher..

davedotco said:
Secondly I feel that the effects Beats are having on the market are underestimated. Recent figures in the US show that Beats are not only the biggest sellers in the 'premium' (more than $100) market but that they sell as many as all the other brands put together.

That's just marketing though. The ipod was no where near the best sound quality or format playing music player, yet it still trounced the market due to design and marketing.

davedotco said:
I do not know the figures for the uk but I do know that Sennheiser are taking note. Sales of their better products are down and they are considering some sort of response, though what that will be I have no idea.

Senheiser are just as bad as other companies, see the HD595 / HD555 hack, so they aren't doing themselves any favours.

davedotco said:
All this is fine if you are not bothered with the health of the hi-fi industry, after all people buy what they want and if they want fashion accessories rather than good headphones then fair enough. However if you are interested and like to see hi-fi improve year on year then maybe you should be bothered, when companies like Sennheiser, AKG, and the rest simply stop making premium headphones as they can not sell the numbers to be viable.

I agree to a certain extent, but the whole beats thing was also spurred on by them being a christmas must have. Hifi *is* a niche market and it doesn't help itself with it's not the nine o'clock news style lauding it over people who prefer something "lesser" for want of a better a word. Instead of the op deriding his friend, he should use it as a shoe in to say things like "well if you like the improvement you get from the beats, try these" etc.. If anything the hifi manufacturers should be jumping on coat tails, or even using it to their advantage, say an agressive marketing scheme that says something of the lines of beats may look good, but try these for sound or something. Just a idea.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Cheeseboy, sort of in order;

I an not sure you realise how truly poor Beats 'phones are. Many 'stock' headphones are actually better than Beats in terms of overall SQ, in addition Beats are poorly made and break quite easily, which given their posturing as a 'street' product is a nonsense.

Of course they are sold on the back of heavy marketing, they are a fashion product pure and simple. The iPod may be too, but it is also an integral part of an entire music playing system (iTunes etc), not really comparable.

Not quite sure on your point about Sennheiser though, perhaps you could expand?

To be honest, and comedy sketches not withstanding, I am perfectly happy for 'proper' hi-fi to sit slightly apart from mainstream audio. I know it is not fashionable but I want my hi-fi to actually have a degree of hi-fidelity about it and if that requires a more 'serious' type of dealer then I am all for that.

peterpiper

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
its the bose effect

anyway its not cool to go the gym with a pair of grados
smiley-tongue-out.gif

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Lovely pretty colours though.

So this is 'street'. I think I'll stick with my Grado 80i that I have had no problem with at all, let alone construction quality.

Dom

I bought the Monster EA Sports MVP Carbon for £99 at PCWorld. You may think that they are a rip off and they sure as hell wo'nt sound as good as 5 star music orientated headphones. And you are correct. But i like them, there one redeeming feature is that there very strong.

:cheers:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts