Question Weird compare: Wharfedale Diamonds 10.1 vs KEF LSX

lmlmlm

Jan 9, 2021
Visit site
Context: listening to a wide range of music styles, normal size room (of the bed, desk and door variety). Desktop usage mainly, Soundcloud, Spotify.

This may sound like a weird one, but after trying out whatever I could find in my area (Stockholm), and ruling out some poorly reviewed options, I ended up deciding between:
  1. Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 or 9.1 or 11.1, all of which are still in stock (new or ex-demo) in some local shops​
    • are these older Diamonds still relevant in 2021, given my context above ? I've seen some very positive reviews on YT for the 10.1's or 12.1's (no local shop has any of the newer 12.1's)​
    • AMP matching, NAD C 316 BEE v2 has been recommended, but this particular one is not to be found locally, so not sure what else to look for​
  2. Second, completely opposite option is to get the KEF LSX which are readily available, which I've listened to in a shop and sounded quite well. Most reviews seem from whatever, to positive and some extatic, so they must be good. Apparently the bass is not that strong, but I could probably live with that, as I'm not a "loud" listener. Smaller, less wires, and all that.
I am aware of the budget differences, but that's not a major issue, just looking for the better sound quality for this situation, if these can even be compared :ROFLMAO::eek:

tnx

Last edited:
I’m sure the KEF are a more versatile choice, and will give you options to use away from the computer too. They sounded great at a demo I attended when they were launched, and they come in stunning finishes.

Obviously the little Diamonds are great value if you can find a suitable matching amplifier, that I guess also needs to be quite compact.

Have you seen these recommendations from the magazine?

lmlmlm

Jan 9, 2021
Visit site
Went totally spontaneous with this, bought some cheap Edifier 1280T's, which are not so bad actually (paired with an Ifi Zen Dac).

I'm going to run these side by side with the LSX in a local shop, then decide. The LSX are probably not 12 times better than these (the price being literally, 12 times higher), but if they are at least twice as good, I could splurge, get the LSX, sell the Edifiers.

What I do like about the Edifiers is that they are totally cable wired, no bluetooth, no wireless, no s**t app that's mostly annoying (LSX), none of that nerdy gizmo stuff.

thanks

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS