Wharfedale 9.1 +sw vs KEF iQ10 vs QUAD 11L vs AE Aelite 1

Fulci

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi all!

First post here!

I'm thinking of getting a Yamaha A-S500 amp and I'm looking for a pair of speakers to go with them for €300. The room is around 22sqm.

I can get the Warfedales 9.1 and the sub or the KEF iQ10 for around €250. What would you recommend or which should be better? The iQ30's are a bit more expensive, for around €360. Also the Quad 11L2 for €350 seem an interesting choice for now, but getting over budget.

I am aware the wharfedale 10.1 are better but their looks are just awefull! All that blink turns me down, and I'm not so fond of the Q100 either, and they're much more expensive. The Monitor Audio also look a bit plasticky for me, so I was just running down on those two.

I know I'm basing my choices a bit too much on the look but I haven't had the chance yet to listen to them yet, I'm just looking around first.

What are your opinions on this?

I listen mainly to Prog-Rock and Classical.

Thank you all!

EDIT: The room is around 18sqm, not 22 as mentioned.

Fulci

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Another question:

Why is the R-S500 receiver cheaper than the A-S500 amp? Shouldn't they be the same with the extra tuner or are they different? From the specs, only the watts are lower...

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
For a warm, bassy sound Wharfedale +sub, for a clean, detalied sound :KEF IQ 10.(can be a little bright sounding)

Quad 11 L2: very detalied, neutral sound with good bass response, for me the best speaker, but not very beautiful

Fulci

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Thank you both for your replies.

What about the Quad 9L2? Are they as good as the 11? And should they suffice for my 18sqm room? I believe I can get them for ?220, which is way better under the budget...

Can the Quad or the KEF be too revealing for this amp?

Fulci

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
So, I short-listed the speakers to these:

QUAD 11L

REGA RS1

Monitor Audio BX2

KEF iQ30

Wharfedale 9.1 + SW150

I know the Wharfedale are on another league, but I can get them for ?120 a pair. Is it worth the difference to the others? I am going to see where I can listen to them around here, there are not many stores carrying these brands in my country.

I just managed to see the Monitor Audio BX and they don't look that bad, but still look like they're just wrapped in vinyl rather than made out of real wood.

What do you suggest?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts