Help! Looking for small amp + speakers with good sound

thomasbayped

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi

I'm looking for a small amp to stream music to through my airport express, preferably through the digital port on the airport (same as the line in), and also to connect with my Panasonic LED.

I've been looking at the NuForce DDA-100, like the size, like the reviews, like the DAC/amp combo, but am at a loss whch speakers to pair it with. And are there other smallish amps in that price range or cheaper that are worthwhile?

Speakers I've looked at (they need to be fairly small/bookshelf and stylish so the wife can accept, but would rather get something slightly larger if there's a huge difference in sound, say rather Dali Lektors than Zensor 1's if that comparison makes sense):

Monitor Audio BX2

Monitor Audio Silver RX1

Epos Epic 1

Q acoustics 2010i

Q acoustics 2020i

Q acoustics concept 20

Acoustic Energy 301

Dali Lektor 1/2

Wharfedale Diamonds 10.1? 10.2?

Any of these sound ok with this amp, or other amp/speaker combos that are worth looking at, not too expensive? Obviously if I can get a good sound out of say £200 speakers/pair (2020i's) is it worth looking at the more expensive options like the RX1's? (on a tight budget but would rather buy something I can keep for a long time now rather than having to upgrade later on)

Am a newbie so apologies for audiophiles out there if this looks completely stupid :-/

Thomas

PS. Or possibly some of the Dynaudio speakers? Dynaudio Dm 2/6? 2/7? or B&W 685?

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Having newly jumped on the active speaker bandwagon, I'd also be looking at (i.e. I have been seriously considering for myself) the Nuforce Icon HDP

https://www.nuforce.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=26:icon-hdp&Itemid=853

Used as a DAC/preamp into some active speakers.

Not sure that too many people on these forums would have heard that amp, but hopefully someone can give you some feedback on possilbe speaker combinations. It looks like you have a decent list there. Is there anywhere you can have a listen to that amp with any of those speakers yourself? I only ask because ultimately it will come down to your personal preference.

Personally I'm not such a fan of the RX1 (or BX1) and I don't feel either of those ranges start to shine until to RX2 (BX2). I quite liked the Kef R100s.

thomasbayped

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi ID

Thanks for th einput, will check it out :)

I've heard the amp with both Monitor Audio speakers, the BX2's seemed more direct in the sound with the amp, the RX1's slightly "wider" in the sound. Sadly these are the only speakers I've heard/been able to hear with it – hence the question here. Particularly curious about the Q acoustics since there's so much hype around them, but also curious about the older Wharfedales which seem like a pretty good buy – not sure if this amp and they compliment each other though...?

KidKomet

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
All of the speakers in that list are pretty easily driven if what I've read in previous forums serves me correctly (I've not heard the Epos of AE). Have you considered the second hand market? At this price you can often find yourself some good steals. If you can stretch your budget on any one component, make it the speakers. The RX1's are excellent IMO.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts