The bestest, smallest, budget bookshelf speakers?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Fandango Andy

Just been offered some Rega RS1 speakers for a decent price. Worth taking a punt for my budget bedroom setup. And stops me thinking about spending silly money on some ATC SCM7
Not familiar with them. Just googled them, they look like Mission, probably the 'upside-down' design! There are a few on ebay for between £220 and £260. If they are in good condition and you get them at a reasonable price you can always sell them on in future.

Reactions: Revolutions

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
IMG-2798.jpg
Is this the space in the Bedroom that you are going to place the speakers on?

froze

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
Kef Q150 is pretty decent for the money. Some people thought they were too bright, but others thought they were warm?? Everyone has different ears, best to try them first, you can usually listen to them for at least 30 days, but run them for about 12 hours a day for the first 6 days to get them to break in a bit...that will be true with any speaker, it usually takes about 100 hours to break them in fully, some do take as long as 200 depending what the speakers are made of.

The Kef Q150 has a very accurate and clear sound due to the better mid-range response, if you contrast that with the Triangle BR03 those, according to reviews, have a warmer, or what people call a rich sound. If you have trouble with hearing vocals well and want something where the vocals will come out with clarity with distinct detail then get the Kef.

The Kef's of all the speakers you mentioned have a wider soundstage which is why people describe them as being more alive-sounding.

The Elaf speakers I don't think, but I could be wrong because speakers are a very personal decision, but I can't see you enjoying them as much, in a surround sound system they are often described as almost dead sounding, that's because the midrange is not good, and video uses a lot of mid-range sound along with sub frequency sound, so the midrange clarity simply is lacking on those.

The BW speakers are indeed a wild card, they have really good potential, and they pretty much rival the Kefs in all areas but the soundstage, they simply are not as good as the Kef's in that area. The BW speakers have a better bass response, but let's face it, speakers that size are not for bass-pounding music or video, if you want a pounding bass you will have to get a subwoofer, which you should do for any small speaker you end up getting.

A lot of speakers have been mentioned, most of whom I never even heard of, which isn't a bad thing, I just can't comment on them. Good luck, speaker hunting can be a huge pain, been there done that!

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
The Kef's of all the speakers you mentioned have a wider soundstage which is why people describe them as being more alive-sounding.
How you gonna get a 'sound-stage' with speakers stuck on a 36 inch wide dresser? Guess you could pull up a chair real close to the cabinet to get in the sweet spot? LOL

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
What are you going to connect the speakers to?
I think a pair of speakers stuck on that little shelf would be ridiculous. I'd go with something like a Sonos ERA300.
I’ve got a Bose Soundtouch speaker in the room already. The reason for me thinking about speakers is that I have a Fosi V3 doing nothing. Was thinking WiiM pro & small bookshelf speakers for a more immersive bedroom listening experience.

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
I’ve got a Bose Soundtouch speaker in the room already. The reason for me thinking about speakers is that I have a Fosi V3 doing nothing. Was thinking WiiM pro & small bookshelf speakers for a more immersive bedroom listening experience.
OK! LOL
How about a pair of these hanging in each corner of the room for full immersion?
Funny, 'cos I once lived in a house where we had 4 Mackie SRM450's (1000 watt powered PA speakers) and an Mackie SR 18S 1600 watt sub in the living room. It was like being in 'da club... 5,600 watts of stage power! Along with a Marshall 100 half stack and an Ampeg 8x10 300 watt bass stack. It was pretty immersive to say the least (1 mile from the nearest neighbors).
I would go with something that can reproduce good deep throbbing bass, essential in the bedroom environment, no?
;)

1708895217065.png

Last edited:

Fandango Andy

What are you going to connect the speakers to?
I think a pair of speakers stuck on that little shelf would be ridiculous. I'd go with something like a Sonos ERA300.
In my experience Sonos cost a lot of money for very average sound. I have a pair of Wharfdale Dimond 9.0 (£50 in a Richer Sounds Sale) that I use in my kitchen with not much more spacing than in that image, and a little to high up. Its a compromise, but its the best compromise I could come up with for the space.

ultraminiature

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Trying to put together a hit list for auditioning with my brother. We’re both in the market for small speakers- although I think he wants bass & fun. And needing to fill a living room/kitchen space.

I’m going to want detailed. For a bedroom, so often low-level listening. And small is important.

Current list to check out:
- Q Acoustics 3030i (might be too big)
- Elac debut 5.2
- Triangle BR03
- Dali Oberon 1
- B&W 607 S2

I’m mostly interested in the Elac & Triangle, but the B&Ws are always a wildcard.

Any obvious contenders missing from the list? And any on the list that are unlikely to fulfil either brief of fun or detailed?
Bass needs then consider Devialet Phantoms. They may have too much bass and some say they need to be driven loud to hit the balance - at least louder than other systems might. For for small and cute and Future-fi few to compare. Gets rid of all the clutter and boxes streaming services, internet radio and anything from your computer storage as do any of the wireless streaming powered and active speakers.

Also life style the B&O Beosound Level. Stereo in one box but better as a stereo pair. Battery powered and can be laid flat, stood up or wall mounted. Beosound A5 more bass, louder but the same software Mozart platform. As long as not wanting to watch YouTube or movies (unless from Apple 4K TV as airplay seems okay) they can replace most systems.

Dali also have the Oberon 1C wireless active speakers higher costs but less as not needing DAC or amplifier and more bass over their passive range.

Kef LSX II and LS 50 II wireless, Triangle L01A and Kanto YU6 at the lower price point.

Rogers LS3/5A has been mentioned. Liked for near field monitors for their detail but lack bass and were not as good as JR149 or Kef 101 back in the day (1980 sold as budget speakers for £189, second hand now for £750-1250). Adams Audio have several ranges of active small speakers. Pick size and bass - liked for the detail and the bottom range the cheapest active speakers available.

record_spot

If you can find a pair, the Tannoy DC4 from a decade ago were a revelation. Small - less than a foot high - real wood cabinet, brilliant midrange and looked the part. One of the best speakers I've owned.

£349 when new, you'll get a brand new pair for £195 in the darker Espresso finish.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts