Warning new addition to speaker scam!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
The dodgy spelling often gives these things away. In the case of the fake guarantee card, Monitor Audio would not be likely to even have a Public Relations department, and if they did it wouldn't be in capital letters. And they wouldn't ask for a a Cell Phone number, maybe a mobile. They are British origin, after all!

Recently I saw an advert for eBay proclaiming that 80% of their sales are new goods. It makes buying secondhand seem safe, suddenly!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Monitor Audio responded to my efforts with a nice company coffee mug :)

(I got a few listings taken down and helped Monitor Audio find some of their art-work being used in some ads that they are now dealing with ebay about.)

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
Monitor Audio responded to my efforts with a nice company coffee mug :)

(I got a few listings taken down and helped Monitor Audio find some of their art-work being used in some ads that they are now dealing with ebay about.)

Full credit to you chebby for your efforts, and just to add - last wednesday I also rang them and guided them to this thread. *good*

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
You've also confirmed that cables do make a difference!

I have got a full loom of xlo cables with the exception of the sig 3 a lot of the older cables didn't sound very good when new, especially the limited edition. However I Wouldn't part with the LE now for blood. Either way cheapo xlo from shenzen are fakes the real McCoy's are not easy to get via online retail. Need to know active dealers

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Those MA Audio speakers are still doing the rounds. I was browsing Gumtree tonight and noticed a pair of Monitor Audio Gold floorstander lookalikes for sale near me.

I can't post the link because of triggering the spam content.

RRP of £2000 so a snip at £800! Even has a warrantry card enclosed. "Unwanted" gift indeed.

Mods: You've now been added to the trusted group. You should be able to post links now.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
DIB said:
Those MA Audio speakers are still doing the rounds. I was browsing Gumtree tonight and noticed a pair of Monitor Audio Gold floorstander lookalikes for sale near me.

I can't post the link because of triggering the spam content.

RRP of £2000 so a snip at £800! Even has a warrantry card enclosed. "Unwanted" gift indeed.

Well I wouldn’t want them if somebody gave them to me...

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Still can’t believe that eBay have these dodgy speakers listed quite often. Surely they must have people who monitor it. I told eBay about one dodgy set of these speakers, and referred monitor audio to the listing too, and it was still kept up on eBay for months and months after. You have to wonder how much these firms like eBay or Facebook deal with such matters. I suspect they just don’t have the resources given amount of listings and traffic etc. Surely they must use software to recognise dodgy speakers pictures?

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
They can't even keep on top of the listings that are blatantly selling fake mass market items, let alone esoteric speakers.

Dont blame the man who makes the gun. Blame the man who pulls the trigger. *stop*

QuestForThe13thNote said:
Still can’t believe that eBay have these dodgy speakers listed quite often. Surely they must have people who monitor it. I told eBay about one dodgy set of these speakers, and referred monitor audio to the listing too, and it was still kept up on eBay for months and months after. You have to wonder how much these firms like eBay or Facebook deal with such matters. I suspect they just don’t have the resources given amount of listings and traffic etc. Surely they must use software to recognise dodgy speakers pictures?
The thing is, that the speakers are advertised as "MA audio" which is different to "Monitor Audio". For eBay, it may well mean different brand altogether.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Gazzip said:
MajorFubar said:
They can't even keep on top of the listings that are blatantly selling fake mass market items, let alone esoteric speakers.

Dont blame the man who makes the gun. Blame the man who pulls the trigger. *stop*

That would be a valid point of view were it not for the fact that I'm sure many counterfeit items are bought without knowing they're fake, or even subsequently suspecting they're fake, and when the product turns out to be a pile of crap, the reputation of the manufacuter of the genuine item is damaged.

MajorFubar said:
Gazzip said:
MajorFubar said:

That would be a valid point of view were it not for the fact that I'm sure many counterfeit items are bought without knowing they're fake, or even subsequently suspecting they're fake, and when the product turns out to be a pile of crap, the reputation of the manufacuter of the genuine item is damaged.

In this case probably not. If you do your homework you might realise these are not Monitor Audio and if it sounds too good to be true..... then it is.

"Dont blame the man who makes the gun. Blame the man who pulls the trigger"

If there wasn't a gun in the first place there wouldn't be a trigger to pull.

I flagged up these bogus MAs to Monitor Audio when I first read this thread. What can you do when these crooks are so aloof?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts