Vinyl, it does sound better than cd..

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Today i picked up my first turntable, i was going to buy a project rpm5 however i plumped for projects entry level deck, the project genie, with my spare cash i bought large amounts of vinyl and ordered a better cartridge that will be fitted early next week.

The sound is very good, in fact id say im enjoying music more on a entry level record deck than i ever did with my musical fidelity x-ray or arcam diva cd192, the cd players have much better detail with good clarity, however they lack naterul drive and pace of vinyl. I enjoy putting on a record more than simply slotting in a cd, for 120 pound's im very impressed with the genie and the vinyl format as a hole, I am now a convert and fully planted in the analouge camp...

Pike900fish

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Glad to hear you're a convert..I have to agree that the whole ritual of playing a record is, IMO, very satisfying and for me, a great releaver of stress. The turntables can also last a long time if properly looked after/serviced. I've had mine for nearly 20 years. It's never let me down and still, IMO, sounds great and can show my CD player a run for it's money especially if I spin some Led Zep!

Enjoy!!!

leftfield

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
I agree, since the arrival of my £50 Project 1.2 from ebay I have been another vinyl convert. I picked an ex demo Ortofon 510 mk2 catridge and now we are away. Unfortuntaely my Vinyl collection leaves a lot to be desired. Why or why did I buy album's on audio tape in my younger days???

But since the conversion I have found a new Sunday morning hobby, car boot sales for used vinyl!!

Jimm, where have you purchased your new vinyl from?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Every turntable I have ever owned has always trounced whatever (usually equivalently priced) CD player I have been using at the same time.

This is true of a friends current system where he is using a Rega Apollo CDP and a recently purchased Rega P3-24 alongside each other. He doesn't use the CD player anymore, despite the fact it is an excellent player.

I am returning to Vinyl in a couple of months and predict the same. The (rather good) CD player in my Arcam Solo-Mini will probably end up doing just classical music 'duties'.

A

Anonymous

Just google amazon vinyl uk, loads of old and new vinyl, i just got coldplays viva la vida new plus the beatles love album, only took two days before delivery, well worth the wait.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
For me, vinyl is annoying, and any 'advantage' is equivalent to using processing modes on a creative soundcard.

;)
Vinyl is better than my way, in the same way as a fish is better than a frog.

A

Anonymous

fr0g:For me, vinyl is annoying, and any 'advantage' is equivalent to using processing modes on a creative soundcard. ;) Vinyl is better than my way, in the same way as a fish is better than a frog.

While I can't agree with the annoying tag I do agree that vinyl is just different - not better than CD.

You might have noticed in another thread that I'm transffering a lot of old vinyl to HDD at the moment. Things I have noticed (and I'll admit corrected if I can in some cases.)

Lots of surface noice from most recordings and we have been meticulous about how we store our vinyl over the years.

An analysis of the sound files shows the rumble and noise up quite clearly and it is therefore fairly easy to correct.

The mechanical quality (Note - not recording quality) of a lot of pressings leaves a lot to be desired.

The imbalance between the RIAA equalisation required to correctly hear a vinyl recording and that provided by some phone stages can leave the sound "coloured" Some people like this in the same way they like the colouration that some valve amps impart and I'm not saying that it's wrong. It's no worse than fiddling with the tone controls.
emotion-5.gif

BTW - and vinyl buffs will hate this - I have managed to keep that vinyl quality to a large extent in files that now play back off of a HDD or in some cases have been burnt to CD!
emotion-10.gif

There is something strangely satisfying in the ritual of spinning a disc that is missing from popping a CD into the tray.

A

Anonymous

I have been categorically told that under no circumstances am I allowwed to buy a turntable - whatever the price! The "madness" had to cease with the CD player and I couldn't buy a turntable that I would not use (even though I have loads of vinyl at home in the UK I could bring over...

emotion-6.gif

A

Anonymous

Mark Ellis:

I have been categorically told that under no circumstances am I allowwed to buy a turntable - whatever the price! The "madness" had to cease with the CD player and I couldn't buy a turntable that I would not use (even though I have loads of vinyl at home in the UK I could bring over...

emotion-6.gif

So do what I am doing then it gives you an excuse to buy an old turntable 2nd hand and even to buy a 2nd hand amp with a decent phone pre-amp and a line level output to pass to your PC or a nice modern pre-amp with a usb out. Whatever you do avoid those USB turntables though.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Disagree with the vinyl sounds better. Even cheap cdp are now so competent that an entry level Rega/project cannot match them for detail, bass, soundstage etc etc ... the usual hifi things. It may sound nicer initially if you were reared on one of them decent new budget cdp's but I'd say you would soon miss the qualities of the latter.

Good, well set up (expensive) TT's do the hifi things mentioned before better and actually close the gap between similarely priced cdp's and vinyl. Full circle. They dont sound the same but it becomes more a difference of presentation than one media being better per se.

I also dont see the point in buying new releases (most of which apart from the odd audiophile pressings have almost certainly been digitally recorded and mastered) on vinyl. Older records and ones that have been unsympathetically transferred to digital yes.

Having said all that, personally I would'nt spend much on a tt nowadays. Having seen the genie I'd say its a good purchase if you're new to vinyl and just want to dabble in a bit of nostalgia ever so often.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Listening to hounds of love last night on 180g vinyl and on CD, I know which one sounded better.......

Fair play. Personally I have'nt heard many good tt set ups and I've heard a few! IMO to coax a better sound from vinyl costs a package. Just the way my ears like it.

What TT are you using JD and is that a 'special' 180g pressing?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Vinyl just sounds so much more natural and convincing, even if it's not been looked after......

It says a lot for vinyl when people walk into a store and take no notice of the music paying an a CD based system, but a vinyl based system ALWAYS catches their attention. Aurally speaking of course.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
As loath as I am to admit it, I'm tending to think the same way. And that's comparing a Roksan Radius V with an Arcam alpha 6 through a beresford.

With brand-new vinyl, it's close. But on old vinyl, CD really has the edge.

John Duncan

The setup was a bit haphazard, admittedly, I had moved the TT (Project RPM5.2) beforehand. And the cartridge is very modest. But the vinyl was 180g, played only a couple of times, and the CD - I was going to say trounced it but not quite - had the clear edge on vocals.

A

Anonymous

The old vinyl vs cd debate again....

notice the title does not say vinyl is superior to cd but instead vinyl "sound" better.
some people prefer the "sound" of vinyl knowing that it's not superior to CD/SACD, like how some people prefer the "sound" of tube amps... etc...

you are correct that it's a matter of preference rather than one media being better than another.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Oh, true - I still far prefer the whole "thing" of getting an LP out of it's cover, then inner sleeve, then putting the stylus in the groove. It's far more tactile and more of an event.

But I do feel that the sound quality of my CD system is now outperforming my vinyl system, so I have the dilemma of overall experience vs aural experience...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts