Vintage purchase: should I buy this?

TazCaz

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Hi team,

A few weeks ago, some of you so kindly helped me with buying a new entry level turntable, amp and speakers.

Now I'm hoping to get some advice on a second-hand/vintage system I have an opportunity to buy.

The specs according to the seller:

- TEAC TS-130 turntable. Twin idler drive system record player.
- Audio Technica needle

- TEAC BX-550 high speed stereo DC Integrated Amp

- 55 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)

- TEAC TX-550 AM/FM Stereo Tuner

- TEAC CX-350 Stereo Cassette Deck

Still fairly new to this, can anyone comment on whether this is worth the purchase? Anything I should be wary of?

His asking price is $360/£175.

Or am I just better investing in new equipment?
The seller said the radio and record player are working fine. The only trouble is the cassette player, which plays too fast and will need a service as the heads haven't been cleaned or maintained in 40+ years. He also said the needle should be upgraded as has quoted me $70/£35.

I need to let him know today.

Also, I will need to purchase some speakers (available in Australia). Can anyone recommend a decent set that would go well with this system? No more than $200/£100 would be ideal.

Thanks in advance!

TazCaz

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Vladimir - and thanks for the local speaker options. I'm in Melbourne.

So you would pay £175 for this setup, despite the things that need fixing/replaced?

I just did a search for what needle I would need and can't seem to find what would match that model turntable?

Also, how much would fixing the heads on a tapedeck cost?

Thank you!

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Those are typical isues with all old cassette players (belts, oiling, alignment) and old turntables (new stylus, a bit of cleaning, oiling, alignment). If you like the looks and the sound of the system, then you may find doing those maintanance jobs worthwile to you. Some people can't be bothered and buy new gear. Vintage stuff has its quirks.

£175 to me personally with what is available on my local ads sems reasonable since it includes the TT. But it's not a steal either.

If you would buy new, with £175 you can only buy a budget integrated amp. If the Teac amp is in working condition, it only needs a bit of cleaning on the pots and switches and should work great.

PS - Speed issues with tape decks are mechanism related, nothing to do with the heads IIRC.

TazCaz

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I think my problem is that I wouldn't know how to do this maintenence myself, so it would end up costing more to fix. I do like the look of it - and the idea of having a vintage setup as opposed to a new set up certainly appeals to my nostalgic side - but I'm now just wondering if the cost price + a non working tape deck that needs fixing + cost of a needle that needs replacing + other bits and piece, like oiling as you you mentioned - will be worth it in the end?

I suppose any vintage system is going to come with problems.

But yes, compared to what I just paid for even an entry level set up as a gift for a friend, it is cheaper.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I personaly wouldn't buy it. But there are patient people out there who like doing fix ups and maintanance to old kit. If you have to pay for a professional to do everything, then it might not be worth it.

TazCaz

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for all your help Vladimir. Given I don't have the experience in fixing these things myself, I decided against it. Cheers!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts