VideoLogic Tuner DREX-601E

Last night my fiancee's physio came round with a package under arm [as you do, of course].

She said: "would you like a digital tuner?" She unwrapped it and there was almost a brand new. After a while I plugged it in and the sound was, erm. . . .weedy but comparison.

It looks like a carbon copy of Pure Digital's 702 (award winning effort).

Has anyone heard of this tuner? and what was the original price?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Pure used to sell under the VideoLogic name. The DRX-601E was pretty good by the standards of early digital tuners. Mind you, digital signal quality used to be OK then...

Andrew Everard:Pure used to sell under the VideoLogic name. The DRX-601E was pretty good by the standards of early digital tuners. Mind you, digital signal quality used to be OK then...

What is happening with the digital signals? It seems that modern technology in this area has hit a bit of a flat spot. . .and how will this influence the sales of digital radio?

By the sounds of it it might be prudent to hold on to my analogue tuner.

A

Anonymous

I bought one a few years ago for about £60 as an ex-dem model. Pretty certain the list price was £250. As Andrew says it was one of the early models, came out about a year before they rebranded as Pure and released the Evoke portables.

Soundwise, it wasn't a patch on my Denon TU260L but it had BBC Radio 5 in excellent quality rather than the AM only on a standard tuner. Crystal clear with no loss of signal or interference.

Don't use it much now apart from listening to BBC Radio 5 / 5Live but it still sounds quite good.

ianmcg:

I bought one a few years ago for about £60 as an ex-dem model. Pretty certain the list price was £250. As Andrew says it was one of the early models, came out about a year before they rebranded as Pure and released the Evoke portables.

Soundwise, it wasn't a patch on my Denon TU260L but it had BBC Radio 5 in excellent quality rather than the AM only on a standard tuner. Crystal clear with no loss of signal or interference.

Don't use it much now apart from listening to BBC Radio 5 / 5Live but it still sounds quite good.

Mmm. I can see why some people love digital and others don't. Personally, I've yet to hear a digital tuner with a convincing sound, which is a shame. As a relatively new option to conventional methods of transmitting signals, I just hope it will improve with time, or, become more consistant regarding sound quality. . . .until which time, I'll stick with my lovely sounding retro Marantz tuner.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts