Van den Hul Clearwater speaker cables

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
This is coming from 30+ years of hifi experience. I didn’t know what good hifi sounded like when I was young, I had thoughts and expectations, but they were miles off.
I guess a lot of people are on the same/similar journey, wondering why stuff sounds bad to them, when others sing their praises. It takes years…. and a fair bit of experimentation, and also a lot of reading, and educating yourself. Once you get it, you are on the right path.
my advice to anyone seeking the “best” is have fun. Experiment, try things, and enjoy the journey.

A-Line

Feb 3, 2022
Visit site
Brand: VAN DEN HUL
Model: CLEARWATER SPEAKER CABLE
Price: £10.00/Meter, UNTERMINATED (PRICED PER METRE)

SPECS:
Cable Type: Twin conductor
Conductor Material: High purity dense Silver coated high purity Matched Crystal OFC
Design Purpose/
Application Area(s): Loudspeaker cable
Eff. Conductor Ø/Eq. AWG No./Strands: 2x(1.97 mm² / ~AWG 14 / 98)
External Diameter /
-Dimensions: 15 mm. wide; 4.0 mm. thick
Resistance 20 °C / 68 °F: 0.9 Ohm/100 m.
Capacitance: 17.5 pF/m.
Insulation / Dielectric Strength / Test Voltage: HULLIFLEX ® 3 / 300 Vrms min.

SIMPLE "EVERYDAY" CABLE SIZE CHART:
GA. 4 Ohm 6 Ohms 8 Ohms
22 6 feet 9 feet 12 feet
20 10 feet 15 feet 20 feet
18 16 feet 24 feet 32 feet
16 24 feet 36 feet 48 feet
14 40 feet 60 feet 80 feet
12 60 feet 90 feet 120 feet
10 100 feet 150 feet 200 feet

The correct gauge speaker wire you need is based on 3 things:

Your stereo or amplifier’s power output.

The speaker’s impedance (Ohms) rating – also called the nominal impedance.

The cable length needed for your speaker system.

View: https://youtu.be/atwAOZ6pFqE

Last edited:

Gray

Hi,
QED state it is OFC :
"79 superior grade Oxygen Free Copper strands"
Regards,
Shadders.
Yes, I too didn't expect them to be selling it as non - OFC and indeed they don't....on their website.
But here's where I saw that 'classic' version 79 strand:
Unless I've missed it, there's no mention of OFC there.
(Though some customers are debating the fact - so it may be somewhere, but 'classic' to me suggests the original, which wasn't).

Last edited:
I suppose that copper is by definition usually ‘mostly’ oxygen free, just as it’s gold free, lead free, water free, pizza free etc. It‘s copper after all! I’m trying to think when OFC became a ‘thing’.

I’m guessing that any copper with more than a minute fraction of oxygen would quickly oxidise - go green - so it was produced such that it was mostly oxygen free. Maybe OFC was coined when the purity reached 99.9999% ?

Who else remembers 6N, meaning six 9s? That is 99.9999%.

Bruzli

Feb 8, 2022
Visit site
I would like to try Qed Genesis Silver Spiral, they come in standard sizes with terminations straight from the factory, about 300 euro per set. I am not sure there will be a difference with my current Qed 79, but I would bet my money there would be no difference in a blind test with any other 10x more expensive cable.

Looking forward to get my Australe EZ by Triangle order next week, maybe I will try the Silver Spiral.

shadders

Yes, I too didn't expect them to be selling it as non - OFC and indeed they don't....on their website.
But here's where I saw that 'classic' version 79 strand:
Unless I've missed it, there's no mention of OFC there.
(Though some customers are debating the fact - so it may be somewhere, but 'classic' to me suggests the original, which wasn't).
Hi,
The link i provided states "....www.qed.co.uk/qed-classic-79-strand-cable.html"

As such, the classic is OFC.

Regards,
Shadders.

Gray

Hi,
The link i provided states "....www.qed.co.uk/qed-classic-79-strand-cable.html"

As such, the classic is OFC.

Regards,
Shadders.
Originally of course, 79 strand QED was not OFC....that link I provided makes no mention of OFC.
You'd think they'd be sure to mention if it was.
Maybe they're selling (very) old, original stock.
Who knows? Who cares? Certainly not anyone still reading this thread 👍

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts