Valves consigned to history?

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Many moons ago I submitted a post regarding my experiences at Bristol. I mentioned something about the number of demonstrators who were using amplifiers with massive valves in their systems. Someone (can't remember who) said they didn't regard valve amps as audiophile as the valves coloured the audio signal. I took this statement onboard.

However, through my DIY cobbling (see here, I have recently discovered the world of OpAmp rolling and the effect that different OpAmps can have on the resulting sound of the amplifier. Clearly, OpAmps do colour the audio signal.

How that I have completed my first DIY project, I am considering what to build next. This will probably be the M3 by AMB Labs (see here). However, I quite fancy having a go at a valve amp.

What's your view on valve amps? Should they be consigned to history...or do they have a part to play audio equipment?

Note: for those who are interested, the way round the OpAmp colouration issue is to use an amplifier which is not based on integrated circuits ie fully discrete. These tend to be more complex and expensive designs. For a DIY example, again by AMB Labs, see the Beta 22 here.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Valve technology has now infected younger generations via products like the Fatman iTube amps (both hybrid and Valve only designs) so there are sure to be valve afficianados for many many years to come.

As for op-amp swapping, I only did this one time with my USB DAC with great success (changing an OPA2604 for an OPA2107) but I am not going to make a habit of it.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Valves are great - I have the Fatman Carbon and it is by far the best ipod dock i have heard - i have also just ordered a little dot MkIII heaphone amp from china - its currently sitting in customs - really looking forward to connecting that to my Senn HD650s which i have taken out the box yet in anticipation of my amp.

Will def have a go at swapping the tubes once everything is up running and burnt in

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Chebby, I have recently found out that you can request free op amp samples from Texas Instruments. These are supposed to be for manufacturers to evaluate which to use in their products. However, there seems to be nothing to prevent a punter from requesting them.

See this link for the OPA627AP, which retails for approx £16.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
matengawhat:Valves are great - I have the Fatman Carbon and it is by far the best ipod dock i have heard - i have also just ordered a little dot MkIII heaphone amp from china - its currently sitting in customs - really looking forward to connecting that to my Senn HD650s which i have taken out the box yet in anticipation of my amp.

Did you try your headphones through the iTube Carbon first?

The grandaddy of the original Fatman iTube (The Dared MP5) was designed primarily as a USB DAC & valve headphone amp combi.

When I had my old Fatman iTube (original 15w one) it sounded fantastic with my HD-595's.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
PJPro:Note: for those who are interested, the way round the OpAmp colouration issue is to use an amplifier which is not based on integrated circuits ie fully discrete. These tend to be more complex and expensive designs. For a DIY example, again by AMB Labs, see the Beta 22 here.
I failed to mention that there is a cheaper fully discrete option: the Graham Slee Novo. This is available for £200 or (shortly) for £120 as a kit.

Interestingly, it seems that Graham Sleee will be offering a lot of products as kits in the near future. See here. Looks like this is a good time to be getting into DIY!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
matengawhat:the carbon mkII doesn't have a headphone socket unfortunately so couldn't try

Oh that is bad. Would have been so easy for them to have kept that part of the original.

Maybe they are going to launch a seperate headphone amp and dont want competition from their other products :)

T

the record spot

PJPro:PJPro:Note: for those who are interested, the way round the OpAmp colouration issue is to use an amplifier which is not based on integrated circuits ie fully discrete. These tend to be more complex and expensive designs. For a DIY example, again by AMB Labs, see the Beta 22 here.
I failed to mention that there is a cheaper fully discrete option: the Graham Slee Novo. This is available for £200 or (shortly) for £120 as a kit.

Interestingly, it seems that Graham Sleee will be offering a lot of products as kits in the near future. See here. Looks like this is a good time to be getting into DIY!

The World Designs site has a range of valve amps available as kits (and has done for a while I think).

Personally, I love the idea of valve. The Puresound A30 is on my distant radar. At £1100 it won't be happening anytime soon, but it is apparently an excellent amp.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Just had a look at the Worlds Design stuff. Hmmm. Expensive. Guess I can take a look at their stand in Bristol to see what they sound like. They were certainly there last year. But not sure if I'm going yet. Still smarting from the Excel event.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Wow! They have some pretty fancy components for sale at hificollective. I think these are what are known as boutique parts. Take a gander at these.

The valve amp kits are a little to rich for my blood. I'm gonna stick to headphone amps, I think, as I do most of my listening at the PC and you can get a lot of quality for your money.

Hmmmm. Wonder if I won that Grado competition?

ianandyr

Sep 1, 2008
Visit site
the record spot:I failed to mention that there is a cheaper fully discrete option: the Graham Slee Novo. This is available for £200 or (shortly) for £120 as a kit.

That's interesting. I followed PJ Pro's headphone project with interest but wasn't sure I could be bothered with all the sourcing of components etc etc for a first project. This would be tempting however.

Thanks for the link.ÿ

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
The sourcing of components for the DIY amp I produced would be easy. I have enough for a spare amp. If you didn't wanna do it through me, you can get everything you need from two suppliers.

ianandyr

Sep 1, 2008
Visit site
PJPro:The sourcing of components for the DIY amp I produced would be easy. I have enough for a spare amp. If you didn't wanna do it through me, you can get everything you need from two suppliers.

I'll confess to also wanting something as 'paint by numbers' as I can get for my first project. From what I see on the DAK site they are as close as I will get.ÿIt's been a long, long time since I wielded a soldering iron.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
ianandyr:
the record spot:I failed to mention that there is a cheaper fully discrete option: the Graham Slee Novo. This is available for £200 or (shortly) for £120 as a kit.

That's interesting. I followed PJ Pro's headphone project with interest but wasn't sure I could be bothered with all the sourcing of components etc etc for a first project. This would be tempting however.

Thanks for the link.

Errr. That quote was mine, not the record spot's.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
I've been monitoring that site for some time now and for some reason Graham (he posts on the his associated forum) hasn;t moved it forward. He seeems like a busy man, from reading his threads....so I wouldn't bank on anything being available in the near future.

I would recommend doing the CMoy that I produced if only to get some experience at soldering, reading schematics, etc. Cos if you mess it up, it's only £30 odd quid rather than £120 down the tubes.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
ianandyr:
PJPro:Errr. That quote was mine, not the record spot's.

Oh dear - 1000 apologies. Can you ever forgive me ?

I'll try my best.

T

the record spot

You didn't ask if I would though did you? Misquoting me indeed....gripe, moan, etc.

emotion-5.gif

ianandyr

Sep 1, 2008
Visit site
the record spot:You didn't ask if I would though did you? Misquoting me indeed....gripe, moan, etc.
emotion-5.gif

Oh dear, oh dear - 2000 apologies. Mis-quoting is surely the more heinous crime.

Anyone else I have offended today ?

ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts