V+ upscaling

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello, am taking delivery of a new Panasonic 26LXD70 tomorrow - and currently have Virgin Media TV

If I was to upgrade to V+ and connect with HDMI - would I appreciate the difference in any upscaling on normal (non HD) broadcasts ?

Also in practical terms - does anyone have any views on getting a DVD Recorder (with upscaling, record to HDD or DVD) compared to going down the Sky+ or V+ route (easier EPG recording, watching something whilst recording something else) ?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Without a shadow of a doubt. The difference I get when connecting my V+ box via hdmi over scart is unbelievable - the upscaled picture via HDMI is fantastic - makes the pic I used to get off sky look terrible. One of the biggest advantages for me of virgin over sky has been the quality of the pic from sd transmissions. Im sure the sd transmissions using a sky hd box are also good but im more than happy with virgin, just a shame about the lack of hd content :-(

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andy - I will be mostly using my HD TV to view Virgin SD - so that's great news. Dis you spend a lot on the HDMI lead ? I have heard that a £20 one will do the job pretty much as well

I agree about the HD content on Virgin, hopefully that will change soon

A

Anonymous

They provide a HDMI cable, I have had it fitted last week monday, although I do hope that VM manage to negotiate and have CH4 HD on it too. I mean its a terrestrial change for goodness sake
emotion-7.gif

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Yes, the lack of HD content on Virgin Media is frustrating (I'm a customer too). I keep pestering them to find out when there'll be more HD content, but it's gone very quiet on that front since the ITV HD trial ended.

There was some C4 HD content (Lost, Desperate Housewives) available on a pay-per-view basis, but apart from the BBC HD service, not much else to go on. Come on Virgin, we want more HD content please!

A

Anonymous

I suppose you just have to pay a lot more for Sky HD...

I've got a good deal for the V+ box, so its being installed soon. Will report back soon

Joe Cox

Content Director, What Hi-Fi?
Staff member
May 31, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="howden"]
Thanks Andy - I will be mostly using my HD TV to view Virgin SD - so that's great news. Dis you spend a lot on the HDMI lead ? I have heard that a £20 one will do the job pretty much as well

I agree about the HD content on Virgin, hopefully that will change soon
[/quote]

Make that £30 and get yourself one of Cambridge Audio's 2m HDMI cables... See the review in our December issue - out today - for our official approval.

A

Anonymous

I'm moving house shortly, and will be going the V+ route. Also buying the Panasonic 37" Plasma. My question is that I'm looking for a surround sound speaker system, which will probably be the Jamo A102hcs5, can I run these speakers directly out of the V+ box or do I need a receiver as well?

A

Anonymous

Just to say that the V+ via HDMI is great on my Panasonic LCD (LXD70)

HD (eg LOST) sounds and looks really good and the V+ has changed the way we watch TV (also you'll be surprised how often you may want to record two things at once - or where a film and a programme may overlap )

A

Anonymous

For those who are interested in Sky, Comet are currently doing a sky hd box for £99 plus 30 install which makes it quite a good deal for both new and existing customers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts