usb cables expensive v cheap

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

El Hefe said:
Hookyspud said:
El Hefe said:
Hookyspud said:
paradiziac said:
El Hefe said:
And the main advice above is actually borrow and decide by yourself...

+1
I strongly disagree. I think the best advice is the truth, which is that digital cables have nothing to do with audio/video quality beyond them actually working, or not. There's no such thing as a better one in terms of performance, so why borrow one? What would one be deciding on?

Borrow because the question by OP is related to cost of the cable.... To avoid him spending extreme amount of money unnecesarily.

This is hifi and music. Make a decision base on what one hears, not based on what other people hear, or whatever a 6 page long thread on 1s and 0s discussion trying to prove or whatever a review says. YMYD.
Surely the best way to help the OP avoid spending an extreme amount of money unnecessarily, is to explain to him/her that USB cables can have no effect on audio quality? Advising he/she demoes different USB cables and decides for him/herself whether any sound different is only going to confuse, and set the stage for expectation bias, which most likely will lead to unnecessary spending.

Yes this is hifi and music, and people should make decisions based on what they hear, but they should also know what can effect sound quality and what can't, so they know what's worth demoing and what isn't.

USB cables are not worth demoing because they have no effect on sound quality.

Knowing more sometimes can be more confusing. When it comes to pleasure of music, I rather one to trust their own ears eventhough there is white paper by Albert Einstein himself saying the opposite.

And its for the OP to take any advices with a pinch of salt. This is not a textbook exercise of which there is a clear right or wrong.

Play a track today and play it again next week without changing anything in your set up. I will be surprised if there isn't even a slight different in sound.
But there is a clear right and wrong re this subject. Digital cables have no effect on sound quality. Explaining so is clearly right, whereas suggesting otherwise is clearly wrong.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Hookyspud said:
El Hefe said:
Hookyspud said:
El Hefe said:
Hookyspud said:
paradiziac said:

Knowing more sometimes can be more confusing. When it comes to pleasure of music, I rather one to trust their own ears eventhough there is white paper by Albert Einstein himself saying the opposite.

And its for the OP to take any advices with a pinch of salt. This is not a textbook exercise of which there is a clear right or wrong.

Play a track today and play it again next week without changing anything in your set up. I will be surprised if there isn't even a slight different in sound.
But there is a clear right and wrong re this subject. Digital cables have no effect on sound quality. Explaining so is clearly right, whereas suggesting otherwise is clearly wrong.

There is no clear right and wrong on the subject. One party says one thing and the other says the opposite. Both parties try to show their evidence and yet both parties are not authoritive enough nor in the industry and engineering or science. And now you say digital cables, not only USB have no effect on sound quality. Good for you to be one of those who can accept that. It sometimes can be a curse on people that feels the opposite.

Hence, thats why I always go back to listening rather than solely relying on reviews and thoughts.

A

Anonymous

[UNPUBLISHED - banned user]

El Hefe said:
Hookyspud said:
El Hefe said:
Hookyspud said:
El Hefe said:
Hookyspud said:
paradiziac said:

There is no clear right and wrong on the subject. One party says one thing and the other says the opposite. Both parties try to show their evidence and yet both parties are not authoritive enough nor in the industry and engineering or science. And now you say digital cables, not only USB have no effect on sound quality. Good for you to be one of those who can accept that. It sometimes can be a curse on people that feels the opposite.

Hence, thats why I always go back to listening rather than solely relying on reviews and thoughts.
But there is :). Digital cables have no effect on audio/video quality. That is a fact, it's the truth, and it's clearly right to inform people of that fact.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
El Hefe said:

So even though nothings changed, it sounds different? I'd call that a good reason not to trust your ears! :doh:

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Craig M. said:
El Hefe said:

So even though nothings changed, it sounds different? I'd call that a good reason not to trust your ears! :doh:

Not to trust your ears? Then why even bother listening to music?

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
[UNPUBLISHED - response to post by banned user]
Hookyspud said:
But there is :). Digital cables have no effect on audio/video quality. That is a fact, it's the truth, and it's clearly right to inform people of that fact.

Based on the fact nothing can affect 1s and 0s? Need to try harder than that. Maybe.... just maybe one day there will be a law like Newton's Law stating 'Hey you HiFi fan, all USB cable are the same'. :) But then this forum might be dead LOL....

Anyway, never did I say the advice given is the best nor did I say other people's advice is wrong. Up to the OP to follow which advice.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
El Hefe said:
Craig M. said:
El Hefe said:

To enjoy it, not pick it apart wondering if I can hear a difference with some stupid cable. My point was if the same system can sound different when it isn't, how can you trust yourself to know if a difference you hear is real or not? I think I'll bow out of this one though and leave you and some of the others fretting about cables, I'll go back to what I was doing earlier - enjoying some music.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Craig M. said:
El Hefe said:
Craig M. said:
El Hefe said:

To enjoy it, not pick it apart wondering if I can hear a difference with some stupid cable. My point was if the same system can sound different when it isn't, how can you trust yourself to know if a difference you hear is real or not? I think I'll bow out of this one though and leave you and some of the others fretting about cables, I'll go back to what I was doing earlier - enjoying some music.

Thats my point all along...to the OP at least... try it out...if there is no different in sound.. so be it....Enjoy the music... if there is, fortunate/unfortunate for the OP...depending how the OP takes it...

And my analogy about listening to the track is that....even without any changes made on your set up...no 2 different occasions that the music you listen to will sound 100% the same....

But yes...that is on useful advice...Enjoy the music...and not hifi...

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
To all those who believe that they have golden ears; click on the link at the bottom of Craig M's post then scroll down until you get to the link to the McGurk effect and watch it. Your ears lie to you most of the time.

NwAvGuy has a similar attitude to Alan Shaw (Harbeth) - he is an engineer who does not believe the HiFi myths and like AS he can provide plenty of evidence to back up his beliefs.

I think what most people here are trying to do is to prevent people wasting a lot money on things that make no difference.

"Let your ears decide" is possibly the worst advice to give anyone.

A

Anonymous

[UNPUBLISHED - banned user]

El Hefe said:
Craig M. said:
El Hefe said:
Craig M. said:
El Hefe said:

Thats my point all along...to the OP at least... try it out...if there is no different in sound.. so be it....Enjoy the music... if there is, fortunate/unfortunate for the OP...depending how the OP takes it...

And my analogy about listening to the track is that....even without any changes made on your set up...no 2 different occasions that the music you listen to will sound 100% the same....

But yes...that is on useful advice...Enjoy the music...and not hifi...
But there can't be. It is not possible.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
bigboss said:
I don't get this. Are you saying that if my friend supports the English cricket team (as me), then I should be happy about his support for Manchester United (when I support Man City), simply because we both support the same team in cricket?
No, I didn't say that.

ROTH AV

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
ifor said:
ROTH AV said:
An audible difference between USB cables ?

Really ?

Laughed so hard my bum bled.
I found this interesting. I assume Mr Roth looks forward to / hopes for favourable reviews for his products from the WHF reviewing team, but with comment he's effectively said that we can't trust WHF reviews. A bit of a Gerald Ratner moment methinks.

Ifor. Here's how I see it (well, hear it). I can hear differences between loudspeakers. I can hear differences between amplifiers. I can hear differences between systems where an amplifier and a speaker are joined together in one box. Sometimes, even at my age, I can hear differences between certain types of interconnect and even some types of speaker cables. If one compares poorly built cable made out of scrag-ends from the copper bin against a well-manufactured, correctly terminated multi-strand cable, then science says there will be a difference in performance - it's not just my ears.

However, to suggest that anyone on this planet can actually hear a difference between 'audio' (actually, data) carried by USB cables is for me, in all probability, unlikely. I tend to deal with science and facts. For me, what is relevant is what is happening at either end of the USB cable. I kind of know about this stuff.

With regard to your specific comment regarding a 'Gerald Ratner moment' and your suggestion that 'we can't trust What HiFi reviews' - I take great personal offence. I haven't suggested that one cannot trust What HiFi reviews - if What HiFi writers believe that there is an audible difference between USB cables then that is entirely up to them and it's the choice of the readers as to whether their advice should be followed.

I believe that I am also at liberty to make my own choices on this - I read What HiFi with great interest and have respect for all that work there. But - I don't agree with everything they say and sometimes I strongly disagree with their views on certain products or technologies. This is my right as an individual living in Great Britain, rather than say, North Korea. I also have the balls (as someone from Roth AV) to post occasionally on this forum, even if it does mean exposing myself to this type of insulting and obnoxious post.

Thank you.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
pauln said:
To all those who believe that they have golden ears; click on the link at the bottom of Craig M's post then scroll down until you get to the link to the McGurk effect and watch it. Your ears lie to you most of the time.

NwAvGuy has a similar attitude to Alan Shaw (Harbeth) - he is an engineer who does not believe the HiFi myths and like AS he can provide plenty of evidence to back up his beliefs.

I think what most people here are trying to do is to prevent people wasting a lot money on things that make no difference.

Wow! That has made me unworthy to be on this thread anymore as now I am known to be the giver of the worst advice.

I will continue with my belief to enjoy to what I hear rather than whatever science textbook preach when it comes to music enjoyment.

Hopefully the OP didnt loose his interest in CAS after reading the debate here. :)

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
ROTH AV said:
However, to suggest that anyone on this planet can actually hear a difference between 'audio' (actually, data) carried by USB cables is for me, in all probability, unlikely. I tend to deal with science and facts. For me, what is relevant is what is happening at either end of the USB cable. I kind of know about this stuff.

James,

Knowing a bit about what happens at the ends of a USB cable myself, I would question your science and facts.

If the USB cable is simply carrying async data, where the source and sink have flow control ability and sink timing is independent of the source clock, and the USB cable is not supplying power to the sink, then I would agree with your stance.

If however (as I believe is more common) the USB cable is being asked also to supply clean, low impedance power to the sink, and / or stable, jitter free timing information, then I think that there is a chance that poor quality cables MAY be able to impact the sound quality.

What is your view on this?

ifor said:
bigboss said:
I don't get this. Are you saying that if my friend supports the English cricket team (as me), then I should be happy about his support for Manchester United (when I support Man City), simply because we both support the same team in cricket?
No, I didn't say that.

That's exactly what you meant: either trust all WHF reviews, or don't trust any of its reviews. Why should it be that way? You may agree with some of its reviews as it correlates with your experience, but if your experience is different to some of its other reviews, so be it. What's wrong in that?

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
andyjm said:
then I think that there is a chance that poor quality cables MAY be able to impact the sound quality.

if there is any impact on the sound quality, it will be drop outs, pops or noise. Not increased bass or more revealing etc...

ROTH AV

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
In answer to andyjm (as he asked me a direct question) - with a poor quality cable there may be compromised audio reproduction - totally agree with you. There may be some annoying 'noise' that is caused by poor manufacturing, but in my opinion, there would be no change in tonal quality. If there was any change in tonal quality it is highly unlikely (again, in my personal opinion) that the human ear would be capable of detecting this.

BronC

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
ROTH AV said:
In answer to andyjm (as he asked me a direct question) - with a poor quality cable there may be compromised audio reproduction - totally agree with you. There may be some annoying 'noise' that is caused by poor manufacturing, but in my opinion, there would be no change in tonal quality. If there was any change in tonal quality it is highly unlikely (again, in my personal opinion) that the human ear would be capable of detecting this.

James - I don't think it would be just buzz or pops if the problems manuifested themselves as missing data.

I also think that any missing data problems would only realy manifest themselves on High Res data streaming. A 192 / 24 bit stream transfers many hundred more times data than a low rated MP3. You probably could stream the MP3 on a piece of string.

I think that there might be some improvement in SQ with some more expensive cables for some high res files but it would probably be the last thinh I would look at for any upgrades. Certainly below getting my ears un-waxed!!

Rimse

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
pauln said:

if alan shaw don't believe in wires ,why he in anniversary model shl5 speakers changed wires to expensive ones :p?

There is diffrence because the wires are made from copper,silver,mixed content etc...data still flow,no problem,that is ok,but added material to wire ads flavour ,and changing sound ,not drastic .All blind test fail because brain of human remembers only fractions of music track which was played.some instruments are missing . :dance:

I somebody doesn't believe you can consider example with the light as data,light in bulbs , light in most cases do its job,as data do flowing inside wire.There are variuos colors of light which :led,diods,ect...Or you still believe that everything is placebo effect :rofl:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts