usb cables expensive v cheap

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Rimse

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
relocated said:
hammill said:
Rimse said:
There is difference between free usb printer cable and expensive ones.Expensive one usually accentuate bass,high,mids,remove sibilance or add it .
A cable transferring digital data cannot do any of those things, except via the placebo effect.

Exactly. Rimse would you only use a specific brand of cable to print a picture or make a back-up of your hard-drive? Of course not the idea is preposterous as is hdmi and usb cables affecting bass or treble or blacker blacks.
No,you are wrong,it has nothing to do digital data.But the wire inside is diffrent ,so this means data will go faster or slower.Next just imagine that wire inside is coffee inside cup ,adding more or less coffe will retain aroma of coffe( in this case DATA) and taste will be like coffe,but the taste (in this case sound) will stronger or lighter,bitter or sweeter.,adding sugar or milk wil affect taste as well.Thats what people hear.Many states blind taste.Ok I would say Blind taste for blind people.Usually they have better hearing.And then we'll see who is wrong who is right :rofl:

Besides that ,to remember tone of frequencies is more dificult then words.Tones usually very quickly are changing in music and this is the basic cause why blind test are failing .Human's brain can't memorize such amount of information.

Rimse said:
relocated said:
hammill said:
Rimse said:
There is difference between free usb printer cable and expensive ones.Expensive one usually accentuate bass,high,mids,remove sibilance or add it .
A cable transferring digital data cannot do any of those things, except via the placebo effect.

Exactly. Rimse would you only use a specific brand of cable to print a picture or make a back-up of your hard-drive? Of course not the idea is preposterous as is hdmi and usb cables affecting bass or treble or blacker blacks.
No,you are wrong,it has nothing to do digital data.But the wire inside is diffrent ,so this means data will go faster or slower.Next just imagine that wire inside is coffee inside cup ,adding more or less coffe will retain aroma of coffe( in this case DATA) and taste will be like coffe,but the taste (in this case sound) will stronger or lighter,bitter or sweeter.,adding sugar or milk wil affect taste as well.Thats what people hear.Many states blind taste.Ok I would say Blind taste for blind people.Usually they have better hearing.And then we'll see who is wrong who is right :rofl:

Besides that ,to remember tone of frequencies is more dificult then words.Tones usually very quickly are changing in music and this is the basic cause why blind test are failing .Human's brain can't memorize such amount of information.

1) So, which wires are "slow" & which are "fast"? What's their speed, and can you perceive the "slowness"?

2) I honestly didn't understand how the "coffee" analogy applies here. :?

3) If human brain can't even memorize such amount of information to appreciate the improvement, why bother with an expensive cable? ;)

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
Rimse said:
No,you are wrong,it has nothing to do digital data.But the wire inside is diffrent ,so this means data will go faster or slower.Next just imagine that wire inside is coffee inside cup ,adding more or less coffe will retain aroma of coffe( in this case DATA) and taste will be like coffe,but the taste (in this case sound) will stronger or lighter,bitter or sweeter.,adding sugar or milk wil affect taste as well.

:rofl:

This is no different to people believing in creationism. No amount of reason or science will sway them from their beliefs.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Rimse said:
relocated said:
hammill said:
Rimse said:

Rimse, I really think you need to get your medication changed. :O

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
pauln said:
Rimse said:
No,you are wrong,it has nothing to do digital data.But the wire inside is diffrent ,so this means data will go faster or slower.Next just imagine that wire inside is coffee inside cup ,adding more or less coffe will retain aroma of coffe( in this case DATA) and taste will be like coffe,but the taste (in this case sound) will stronger or lighter,bitter or sweeter.,adding sugar or milk wil affect taste as well.

:rofl:

This is no different to people believing in creationism. No amount of reason or science will sway them from their beliefs.

People who believe in creationism can't use computer technology or the internet (or TVs, telephones, audio, cars, food blenders, medicine, plastics etc. etc.) because all the technology and science - that make almost everything in the modern world possible - is based on 'lies' and is therefore impossible. It simply won't work. So they won't bother us here.

(Try finding oil if you believe all geology happened in the last 6000 years.)

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Rimse said:
relocated said:
hammill said:
Rimse said:

I don't usually get personal on this forum but sorry to say - you are writing utter rubbish

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Rimse said:

:rofl: funniest most innacurate thing written in a long time.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Rimse said:

So how do you remember what cables sounded like 'sighted' if audio memory is so bad (which it is)?

The reason people 'fail' properly constructed blind tests, is because the things they are testing sound the same.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
Rimse said:

Sorry, but this does nothing for me. There are some good explanations, but this isn't one of them. I suggest we leave the explanations to the audio engineers who know their stuff; unfortunately a lot of them don't know what we need them to know, which is why we need to trust our ears. There's certainly little point paying much attention to the vast majority of us ignorant folk participating in this thread.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
Rimse said:

Edited 'cos I can't read proper!

Rimse

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Ok everybody who think good abaut your hearing memory ,just think what you remember from track in your mind when playback stoped playing.Just answer to this questions yourselfs and you will have facts :p

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
ifor said:
abacus said:
ifor said:
This might interest you.

http://www.gspaudio.co.uk/lautus-audio-interconnect.htm

What a load of clap trap, A digital interconnect only carries digital data, NOT audio or video.

As for the rest of the gobbledygook on the website, words fail me; I had to look twice to make sure it wasn’t April Fools Day.

Unbelievable (Literally)

Bill

It's probably one of the most honest, informative and educational HiFi websites there is , but I accept you might not see it way.

Don't USB, coaxial and optical cables do the same job - transfer digital data from one point to another - and if so shouldn't we be slagging off every manufacturer of these cables rather than just the one mentioned above and, obviously, any magazine reviewing them.

If I'm being stupendously thick here then I apologise but before I start launching into an attack on anyone or their company then I want to know the facts first.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Rimse said:
Ok everybody who think good abaut your hearing memory ,just think what you remember from track in your mind when playback stoped playing.Just answer to this questions yourselfs and you will have facts :p

So hearing different cables or speakers is a waste of time then if you can't remember?

Rimse

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
BigH said:
Rimse said:

So hearing different cables or speakers is a waste of time then if you can't remember?
don't play with words and stupid questions ,just answer what you remember from track,what is playing in your mind after several minutes ,after hour and what are you missing :p ? Just don't lie at least for yourself :p For me you can tell lies,no problem ,I won't believe 8)

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Rimse said:
BigH said:
Rimse said:

don't play with words and stupid questions ,just answer what you remember from track,what is playing in your mind after several minutes ,after hour and what are you missing :p ? Just don't lie at least for yourself :p For me you can tell lies,no problem ,I won't believe 8)

Must be missing an expensive cable. :rofl: :rofl:

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Do people here actually known what a digital signal is? Basically it's a string of 1s and 0s and that's all represented by + and - voltages. Now as long as a cable doesn't convert 1s into 0s or vice versa, and it would have to be a pretty s**t cable to do that, the receiving device can recover the original signal completely. There is a piece of maths called "Shannon's Theorem" that proves this and that's been known for what must be over 50 years now.

This imperviousness to signal degredation is why CDs don't suffer (in general) from the type of pops and clicks you can get from vinyl and why DAB radio doesn't get the type of interference FM radio can get. The actual timing of the 1s and 0s doesn't matter either because the receiving device can store the incoming signal in a buffer and take it out at the correct rate. This is why CD players in cars don't suffer from the movement of the car.

So as long as a USB or any other digital cable delivers the 1s and 0s in a form where they can be recognised as such it doesn't actually matter what it does to the signal. After all you can download Gigabytes of computer information down a USB cable and it all gets to the other end in perfect condition and a digitised music signal is identical in nature.

So any talk of cables being able to modify the nature of a digital signal in some systematic way, for example enhancing the sound stage or providing deeper bass, is on a par with believing in the tooth fairy.

As I said before, some people will still hear differences between digital cables but what is going on is going on in their heads not in any objective world.

Chris

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
Covenanter said:
Do people here actually known what a digital signal is? Basically it's a string of 1s and 0s and that's all represented by + and - voltages. Now as long as a cable doesn't convert 1s into 0s or vice versa, and it would have to be a pretty s**t cable to do that, the receiving device can recover the original signal completely. There is a piece of maths called "Shannon's Theorem" that proves this and that's been known for what must be over 50 years now.

This imperviousness to signal degredation is why CDs don't suffer (in general) from the type of pops and clicks you can get from vinyl and why DAB radio doesn't get the type of interference FM radio can get. The actual timing of the 1s and 0s doesn't matter either because the receiving device can store the incoming signal in a buffer and take it out at the correct rate. This is why CD players in cars don't suffer from the movement of the car.

So as long as a USB or any other digital cable delivers the 1s and 0s in a form where they can be recognised as such it doesn't actually matter what it does to the signal. After all you can download Gigabytes of computer information down a USB cable and it all gets to the other end in perfect condition and a digitised music signal is identical in nature.

So any talk of cables being able to modify the nature of a digital signal in some systematic way, for example enhancing the sound stage or providing deeper bass, is on a par with believing in the tooth fairy.

As I said before, some people will still hear differences between digital cables but what is going on is going on in their heads not in any objective world.

Chris

So you're saying that a wire isn't like coffee in a cup to which you can add milk or sugar to alter the taste??

BronC

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure that if you were to give me $600 I could make you a USB cable that you could hear a difference between it and a "standard" cable when you streamed digital audio or music

I would make it with material of such a high resistance that the data transfer rate would be so slow that just enough data would get through in sufficient time to be processed for you to hear or see something but most of it would be lost

We must not confuse data transfer with data streaming. Streaming has a time element involved. The data is useless if it arrives too late.

How the lack of data manifests itself to the listener or viewer is probably in poorer SQ or PQ. How they describe this porrer quality is obviously subjective

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Covenanter said:
The actual timing of the 1s and 0s doesn't matter either because the receiving device can store the incoming signal in a buffer and take it out at the correct rate. This is why CD players in cars don't suffer from the movement of the car.

Does your DAC do this? Very few do.

Most rely on slaving their clock to the input bitstream.

A

Anonymous

[UNPUBLISHED - banned user]
CnoEvil said:
ifor said:
I'm quite sure that a lot of expensive "audiophile" USB cables are nothing special; they are no more than cons, but I for one believe that there are some rather special USB cables available. When I have a need, which currently I don't, I will compare.

I recomend you give a listen to the D-Fi from Vertere, when the time comes. :silenced:
Vertere do not make USB cables!

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
andyjm said:
Covenanter said:
The actual timing of the 1s and 0s doesn't matter either because the receiving device can store the incoming signal in a buffer and take it out at the correct rate. This is why CD players in cars don't suffer from the movement of the car.

Does your DAC do this? Very few do.

Most rely on slaving their clock to the input bitstream.

Yep I know. I just mentioned the possibility because it is there.

Chris

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts