upgrading speakers?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, my current system is a yamaha rxv363 av reciever with b&w 601 s1 speakers.

Iv just moved and I would like to get surround sound for movies but I use the speakers for music to. Im currently looking at the B&W 685 theater package but I would have to build the setup over time because i cant afford it in one go. so im asking for some advice, if i just buy the b&w 685 for the time being will I notice a decent upgrade in sound? or would my money be better spent on the htm62?

thanks for the help!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I would upgrade your receiver. I would say it's not going to be driving or controlling your 601's properly, and it'll be the same situation changing to more B&W's (they drop to 4ohms). A better receiver will bring them to life - then you'll be in a better position to upgrade your speakers.

A

Anonymous

Hi Frank thanks for the quick reply! are there any av recievers you would reccomend for the B&W 685 package? I use the reciever for my 1080p tv, xbox and pc all through hdmi. Does the reciever really make a decent diffrence for the price?

cheers.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I would suggest something like the Yamaha RXV1067/2067/3067, the Pioneer VSX2020, or the Onkyo 708 or 808. Most of these retail for about £800+, but can be had from around £600 at the moment.

Changing from and amp that doesn't drive a speaker properly, to one that does (or comes close), is a considerable diference. Your speakers can only sound as good as your receiver allows them to. If you'd like to get an idea of what you're missing out on with your 601's, take them along to a dealer and try them on the end of something like the Audiolab 8200a. The above receivers won't quite drive them that well, but it'll give you an idea of what you should be aiming for.

oliharan92:
Hi, my current system is a yamaha rxv363 av reciever with b&w 601 s1 speakers.

Iv just moved and I would like to get surround sound for movies but I use the speakers for music to. Im currently looking at the B&W 685 theater package but I would have to build the setup over time because i cant afford it in one go. so im asking for some advice, if i just buy the b&w 685 for the time being will I notice a decent upgrade in sound? or would my money be better spent on the htm62?

thanks for the help!

Hi oliharan92

As you've already got the RX-V363 and 601 speakers i would suggest that you hold on to these two and instead in the first instance look at completing the speaker set and get enjoying surround sound at the earliest opportunity (particularly if it is going to be done gradually). If you are happy to consider looking at used/discontinued components then you can save yourself considerable money by adding speakers such as the LCR60, LCR600, ASW675 etc. The RX-V363 is a perfectly capable amplifier so rather then spending £600 so on a new AV amplifier at this stage you could in all probability instead complete your 600 Series speakers set for the similar money of less! Some of these speakers are currently on ebay UK
emotion-1.gif
Once the speakers are in place then look at further improving on the qualities of the RX-V363 with amplification such as the Yamaha's excellent RX-V1067 or RX-V2067.

Fwiw, the 600 Series 1, 2 and 3 speakers are excellent designs.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

thinking about it, I think i would be best investing in eaither the b&w htm 61 or the htm 62? my room is only 3m x 3.5m. idealy i would be better with a style surround package like the B&W m25 but I like my music and feel that would be a downgrade in some ways?

thanks

TRENDING THREADS