Upgrading MA RX8 to ? Dynaudio/SonusFaber or ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
As one of the last upgrade to my set I want to upgrade by current Monitor Audio Silver RX8 speakers. After the upgrade of my amplifier to a Musical Fidelity M6i the sound became definitly too bass heavy. In het past I have had also two RX8 predecessors.

Looking at a budget to about $4500 I created an initial shortlist consisting of:

Dynaudio Focus 260
Sonus Faber Venere 2.5
PMC Twenty.23

The latter was elected speaker of the year. I had a chance to buy (scond hand) its bigger brother for less the the PMC 23 price. Looking at all the raving reviews this must be a very good speaker but I could not like the sound. I definitly missed bass. Sure I want less bass because my current speakers are too bass heavy but there was no punch when hearing drums etc. The acoustics of the listnening room where bad but the sound I like was so far off that I could risk that my own living room acoustics would solve the shortcomming I heard.

Ofcourse when now listnening to my own speakers again their bass heavyness annoys me even more so the PMC did something.

The other two are on my list also because of the raving reviews but I did not have a chance yet to listen to them.

What I seek is a very detailed but musical speaker with a full sound, a huge soundstage and which presents itself with much 'air'. Sorry I'm not native english speaking but what I mean is that the instrument separation must be very good. Don't want to hear as if it were to came from a blender.

Allthough sound must come first when selecting a speaker, its design I find also important. The next range of Monitor Audio, the gold series, I find very ugly with its metal grill. I'm not looking for exotic design form factors.

What would be speakers that I need to have a listen to?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
You have a great amp and with that budget should get a great match (I'm not sure what these speakers cost with you).

Maybe look at:

- Kef R700 / 900

- Proac D28

- Spendor A6 / A9

- Focal Chorus 836 V / VW SE Limited Edition version

- Opera Seconda

A

Anonymous

CnoEvil said:
You have a great amp and with that budget should get a great match (I'm not sure what these speakers cost with you).

Maybe look at:

- Kef R700 / 900

- Proac D28

- Spendor A6 / A9

- Focal Chorus 836 V / VW SE Limited Edition version

- Opera Seconda

The KEFs and the Proac certainly look very good candidates. Good reviews to especially the Proac. I will do some further investigation on these. Thanks for the suggestion...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
SilverRx8 said:
The KEFs and the Proac certainly look very good candidates. Good reviews to especially the Proac. I will do some further investigation on these. Thanks for the suggestion...

You're very welcome.

Report back with how you get on.

Cno

Rimse

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Dynaudio floorstanders will punch even more than MA. I upgraded from rs6 to contour s1.4 ,later to C1 just to have better quality sound.But keep in mind that dynaudio will give better defined midrange and highs .Harbeth SHL5 is bass polite,does not punch at all like MA or Dynaudio.Sometimes when you are tired from heavy bass it will good choice

A

Anonymous

Rimse said:
Dynaudio floorstanders will punch even more than MA. I upgraded from rs6 to contour s1.4 ,later to C1 just to have better quality sound.But keep in mind that dynaudio will give better defined midrange and highs .Harbeth SHL5 is bass polite,does not punch at all like MA or Dynaudio.Sometimes when you are tired from heavy bass it will good choice

Thanks. Didn't know Dynaudio was bass heavy. I'm not goin to like that. Defined midrange and highs is good. Any experience with Sonus Faber Veneres? They are brand new so not uch yet reviews around yet. I'll have a look at the Harbeth.

A

Anonymous

Hmmm from a design perspective the Harbeth is not my cup of tea. I'm looking for a more modern look.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts