Upgrades to old CD Player/Amplifier - Worth It?

DNADave

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
I am getting back into hi-fi after many years and am pondering the issue of upgrading my aged kit. I have just replaced my decrepit JPW Sonata speakers with the new Q Acoustic 3020s and have been really pleased with the increase in sound quality they provide. Now I am thinking about CD player and amp. My current CD player is a Rotel RCD-945AX which is about 20 years old; it has also just re-emerged after 10 years in my loft. The CD player is working fine and sounds good to my ears, but I am interested in people's thoughts as to whether the improvements in technology in the last 20 years would lead to better sound quality from a new player. Also, is it likely that the time in the loft will have affected the player in any way? It is dry up there and the player was boxed but obviously the temperature varies greatly over the course of the year.

My amp is a Sony TA-FE570 about 15 years old, would it be worthwhile upgrading that too? My budget is about £300 per item so the Marantz CD6005 & PM6005 seem attractive. Any other suggestions would be welcome but I am keen to retain the traditional CD/Amp set up. Thanks.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Go and listen to some new kit within budget. If you can, take your existing amp and CD to compare, and take some CDs you like to listen to. Try not to be swayed by the sight of all the new glistening kit, and only come out with it if you really can hear a positive improvement.

That is the best advice anyone will give you in this thread. Those people telling you your kit will be better than anything new within your budget, and those people telling you anything new within your budget will beat your old kit, are both wrong.

NS496

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Those old Rotel players were very good. If still working well, why not keep it? Perhaps send in for a clean and service. I don't know your amp, but if anything I'll rather spend money saved from CD player and get a good amp rather, if you want, one with a DAC chip for newer streaming sources. Amps can be serviced and 'recapped' etc. Old gear can provide excellent value for money if still in good condition.

DNADave

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
Thanks all for the replies. I think I am leaning now towards keeping the old CD and amp for now but I can't deny the allure of the shiny new boxes is powerful! Glad I bought those Q Acoustics, though..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts