Blu-ray or CD player?

garethl

Mar 7, 2024
Visit site
I’ve been using a Sony BDP-S480 Blu-ray player to play CDs through a decent amp and speakers (RCA line outs on the player) for a number of years now, but I’ve been wondering if it’s worth getting a CD player unit to do the job. I’ve been seeing a few selling cheaply on Facebook Marketplace and the like. Would there be that much difference, or is it neither here nor there?

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
The magic 8 ball says...
"don't buy cheaply on Marketplace"
I'm guessing that your amp. does not have a digital in?
Connecting the S480 to an external DAC and then to the amp. may improve the sound a bit. Depends on your gear and ear.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjbomber
They’re already connected via the analogue inputs. Does this mean it’s using the amp’s DAC?
No, if analogue out from the Bluray player you are using it's DAC
I use my Universal Disc Player for CDs and SACD, also bluray audio discs but if you only have CDs then you may get a better sound from using a dedicated CDP but this is not always the case.
Save your money and buy more music

Reactions: Leon74
There’s no harm in trying a dedicated cd player. Either buy online with return policy, or buy used and sell on if you hear no difference.
As a first decent cd player, you can’t really go wrong with Marantz. Either new or used.
Set yourself a budget , and take the plunge.

Reactions: Al ears

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
I’ve been using a Sony BDP-S480 Blu-ray player to play CDs through a decent amp and speakers (RCA line outs on the player) for a number of years now, but I’ve been wondering if it’s worth getting a CD player unit to do the job. I’ve been seeing a few selling cheaply on Facebook Marketplace and the like. Would there be that much difference, or is it neither here nor there?
Hi,
How big is your budget for silver disk spinner?

Juraj

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
If your player is working all well and good, I'd usually opt for a decent dac and use the blue ray player as a transport.....but...how much do you want to spend on a dac.....your looking at probably 400-500 quid for any kind of noticeable improvement on what you already have, SPEAKERS....are...in most cases....and in this type of budget area, are the best bang for buck....In my experience and I've had a few.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
In most cases a dedicated CD/SACD player will out perform sonically AV versatility player such as Bluray.
If I were to play the devil's advocate and if I had a suitable budget, I would be looking at CD transport player and I would have this aligned to a good DAC.

manicm

My Cambridge Audio BD651 Blu ray player played CDs ok, but I thought not as good as my Arcam Solo Mini player (it was connected to it, so using the same amp).

BTW just realised the Denon DCD-1700NE plays SACDs, for those who care. At 1200 quid. Which is a fair price.

New CD players seem to be relatively high priced. Arcam's CD5 is 1k? The Marantz CD60 is 850.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts