Upgrade old CD player to what?

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
If you where upgrading from a 10 year old CD player (in my case Cyrus CD7Q) what would you upgrade to and why? Or would you just stick with the 10 year old player?

I have no intention currently of using a streamer, I prefer using a physical disc.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi Fenner Machine I have just upgraded my cdp + amp to my supprise my new amp made more difference than my cdp I would go and have a play with some new cdps + amps you may be supprised The only problem is you get the upgrade bug which in my case has cost me up to this point 4.5k and new speakers are calling me I neeeeed help mind you I have listened to cds which I havent heard in 10 /15 years so its not all bad good luck in your quest

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Depending on budget, I would be looking to Rega, Sugden, Electrocompaniet or Musical Fidelity, as I think they have an innate musicality, with a more organic sound.

T

the record spot

Depends; I'd probably want to work out what was bothering me in the present setup, your hearing changes as you get older so you might want something different from your stereo. There's some lovely designs out there, but depends on your spend and given as you're looking at an upgrade, I'd suggest maybe the new Cambridge Audio 851 CDP, Harman's HD990, Marantz SA8003, or UD7006. Think that's what I'd be looking at if I was buying a new player just now.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
One of the best player of it's time, the 7Q has plenty of details and very musical. Do you need an upgrade? depending on how much? and How do you like your music to sound? the main problem, what I can remember, of CD7Q was how they project music, it was lacking in width and front to back department.

for example, if you would play the same track on Cyrus CD7Q and Sugden Masterclass, while both let you hear more or less the same details, sugden will place drum at the back, human voice will sound a bit higher seemingly correct proportion and slightly forward from the plane. So if this (example) mean better sound to you then go ahead and upgrade to the next level (£2K - £4K range) However I haven't been listen to many CD player lately, what I've heard and like are Bryston BCD-1, EAR Acute, Raga Saturn

The CD7Q was / is a good bit of kit. If you are happy with it generally I would keep it, get it serviced, possibly replacing the laser mechanism, and use it as a transport only. Then go out and find the best DAC you can for your budget.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

Like others have said, really need to know your budget in order to give suitable suggestions.

I've heard Regar are releasing a new Saturn later in the year, might be worth hanging on to see how that sounds.

Other than that, take note of Cno's recommendations... he knows his onions.

grin.gif

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
Hi,

Like others have said, really need to know your budget in order to give suitable suggestions.

I've heard Regar are releasing a new Saturn later in the year, might be worth hanging on to see how that sounds.

grin.gif

In that case.....a Spanish Onion. :cry:

Thank you for the complement....but I would have said, listen to Thaiman.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:
Hi,

grin.gif

In that case.....a Spanish Onion. :cry: Thank you for the complement....but I would have said, listen to Thaiman.

O yes of course Thaiman too knows his stuff when it comes to source... hope he puts in an appearance.

Still in a bit of a dilemma about changing my CDP... now thinking of trying an XPS2 with the CDX2. Also might be trying a Digit next week... can't get a Wadia out of my mind though, but

an expensive piece of kit!

There I go again, hijacking another thread!

shifty.gif

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions and advise everyone.

The CD7Q is currently working fine, no problems.

If it ever did break or play up Cyrus have a fixed service cost so I would get that done.

I think that if I wanted to upgrade I might have to spend £2K upwards as Thaiman said so I will stick with what I have.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
O yes of course Thaiman too knows his stuff when it comes to source... hope he puts in an appearance.

.....he did! ;)

Macspur said:
Still in a bit of a dilemma about changing my CDP... now thinking of trying an XPS2 with the CDX2. Also might be trying a Digit next week... can't get a Wadia out of my mind though, but

....I think that should be interesting.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Macspur said:
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:
Hi,

grin.gif

In that case.....a Spanish Onion. :cry: Thank you for the complement....but I would have said, listen to Thaiman.

shifty.gif

Hi I haven't been listening (and buying) anywhere near how I was few years ago and I have to mention...horses for courses and all that.

Your dilemma is a strange one, I certainly know Naim CD player you have mention very well and while I am not sure which wadia you are talking about (I guess if you buy new it would be 381 (and you would be the lucky man, if 2nd hand may be the 302) but in general, if you believe in house sound, Naim and Wadia are on opposite end of scale.

The CDX2 sound more direct and major on drive and timing. Wadia 302 will have more air in the treble, seperation of instrument is better and also have slightly better bass too. Out of the 2 very good machine, Wadia will be the most impressive at first but for the long term listen you may find it sounded "too hifi" but I believe that, Naim on this occasion, will win on musicality alone.

Now if we are talking Wadia 860 then it would be different outcome as the big boy Wadia sound world class but watch out for transport in older wadia, when they're gone....they're really gone!

Hope this help

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi Thaiman,

Thanks for your comments.

It was actually the Wadia 381 I was referring to, but even ex dem your looking at over 5K.

Yes, that too was my concern about the older models. I have seen a 861SE at an extremely good price, but it's 7 years old and apparrently never been used... worth the risk?

Also, my friendly dealer contacted me yesterday to recommend the Krell s-350a

Cheers.

A

Anonymous

Macspur said:
I have seen a 861SE at an extremely good price, but it's 7 years old and apparrently never been used... worth the risk?

Oh come on, haven't you bought it yet? :O

If the Wadia is working fine, then it should last a long time. Just get assurances about its current working condition, preferable you should hear it before buying. And if you don't decide to buy it, please pass on the details to me!!

My 861 is pretty old, I would guess more than 7 years and its still going strong. There is also a good trade in programme for wadia equipment, see here. This should give you 25% off new Wadia equipment if you were to trade in an 861, or 20% if its not working.

EDIT: Also bear in mind that I have the digital i/o board so even if the transport fails, I can get a new transport and still make use of the excellent Wadia DAC. Or I might trade it in for a 381i or whatever is the current model (funds permitting).

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi Dr Lodge,

I know, I know! I used to be decisive, but now I'm not sure.

According to that link the trade in offer only applies to the States.

I can't get a demo before purchase... dealer won't allow.

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Macspur said:
Hi Dr Lodge,

Cheers

There is a similar deal available in the UK, Guildford Audio had some verbage on their web site recently and assume this is done via the distributor MDC. I don't kow the details, other than there is some trade in programme over here too.

I can't believe the dealer won't allow a demo, how the heck to they think people are going to buy it if they can't hear it before hand! Which dealer is it?

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Dr Lodge said:
Macspur said:
Hi Dr Lodge,

Cheers

There is a similar deal available in the UK, Guildford Audio had some verbage on their web site recently and assume this is done via the distributor MDC. I don't kow the details, other than there is some trade in programme over here too.

I can't believe the dealer won't allow a demo, how the heck to they think people are going to buy it if they can't hear it before hand! Which dealer is it?

Choice HiFi

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Macspur said:
Hi Thaiman,

Thanks for your comments.

It was actually the Wadia 381 I was referring to, but even ex dem your looking at over 5K.

Yes, that too was my concern about the older models. I have seen a 861SE at an extremely good price, but it's 7 years old and apparrently never been used... worth the risk?

Also, my friendly dealer contacted me yesterday to recommend the Krell s-350a

Cheers.

7 years old and never been used? LOL

861 SE fetch around £4.5K mint/box/doc (dealer). I have seen a well use one go for over a grand less. Sound great (if you prefer Hifi sounding gears...nothing wrong with that btw), bass is where the big Wadia does best....thunderous.

Krell S-350a, I never heard one but have heard a few of newer evo range, a little bit on the clinical side for my taste. Krell never made a badly engineer hifi machine though so why not ask for a demo, I guess it would be cheaper too.

The safer bet is on Wadia, easier to move it on. The SE had the rrp of £12,000. If they can prove, somehow, that it never been play then you are not going to get a much better deal on a high end player.

Other name in the class to check out, Acoustic ART Tube DAC SE, Vertex Aletheia DAC (my current favourate), Weiss Madea.

all the best

A

Anonymous

Ah, OK then that's not really a dealer, its more like a second hand web site. Not sure what kind of protection Chioce HiFi provide if any, I was looking at a couple of items on there a while back.

Interestingly there's an 861b for sale at £3,500 which seems over priced (no SE transport not digitial i/o), and its in Guildford so near me!

On balance I would say, if it works fine (which it is advertised as doing "checked for operation"), then its a decent deal. And if it doesn't provide you with what you want, then it should be fairly easy to pass it on with little loss. They also say "or nearest offer" so you could make an offer and see what reaction you get. I would enquire as to what kind of remote comes with it - should be the single billet aluminium one that I have, it weighs a tonne :grin: but it might be a cheap plastic version. I would also check what kind of come back you have if it turns out the unit doesn't work properly.

It has the digital i/o which is definately a bonus, it cost me £1000 to have this board fitted by MDC.

EDIT: I just read the Choice hifi blurb and Warranty, which is for 3 months. I'd go for it, seems like a good deal to me.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks you guys for the advice.

I know the Wadia is potentially an extremely good deal, but it still a risk to me to hand over 2K plus my CDX2 for a player I've never seen, let alone heard and as for moving it on if I don't like it... not sure it would be that easy, it's been on their site for nearly a year!

I think I'll ask Trevor from GA if he'll do a home dem for me with the Krell and I might check out the matching amp while I'm at it.

I did try the Krell Evo505 (ex dem), and whilst an excellent machine, it was really more geared for SACD and as I've only got 1 in my collection, didn't think it was worth it.

There are other options I'd be interested in hearing... the new Sugden Masterclass, Audio Research, Pathos and Resolution Audio.

Don't know about you, but I hate the guilt feeling when I have a demo and have to break it to the dealer, the kits not to my liking, especially if they've taken the trouble for a home dem.

Cheers

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
There are other options I'd be interested in hearing... the new Sugden Masterclass, Audio Research, Pathos and Resolution Audio.

I like your shortlist.....I wouldn't rush until you've heard most of them, and I suspect there will be one that's your perfect match. 8)

Apologies to FM for hi-jack, but I blame Mac. :roll:

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Macspur said:
Don't know about you, but I hate the guilt feeling when I have a demo and have to break it to the dealer, the kits not to my liking, especially if they've taken the trouble for a home dem.

Cheers

don't worry, delaer like Trev got use to that years ago!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Thaiman said:
Macspur said:

Cheers

I agree.

My dealers keep stuff for the purpose of lending out. They play the long game, where meeting customer aspirations pays good dividends.

A good dealer understands the need to home demo, and that a few frogs may be kissed in the process.....they are also well aware of the upgradeitus phenomenon, and will have "just the thing" to try, when it strikes. :shifty:

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Thaiman said:
Macspur said:

Cheers

I agree. My dealers keep stuff for the purpose of lending out. They play the long game, where meeting customer aspirations pays good dividends. A good dealer understands the need to home demo, and that a few frogs may be kissed in the process.....they are also well aware of the upgradeitus phenomenon, and will have "just the thing" to try, when it strikes. :shifty:

Good to know. Not sure if I like being likened to a frog though
grin.gif

Rather interestingly, Alan Shaw, designer of Harbeth speakers, thinks anyone who spends much more than a grand on a CDP must be stark raving mad!

cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts