Upgrade old CD player to what?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Macspur said:
Did you buy your 861 brand new?

No, bought it used from KJ West One some years back. Gave them a brief and £8k budget for CD player with digital i/o and amps, and they came up with the 861 and Muse mono blocks, with new Transparent XLR interconnect. Have bought all my recent top end hifi second hand or ex-demo from retailerse, its the best way to go I think. And now I have your SCM40s to go with it :dance:

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Dr Lodge said:
Macspur said:
Did you buy your 861 brand new?

No, bought it used from KJ West One some years back. Gave them a brief and £8k budget for CD player with digital i/o and amps, and they came up with the 861 and Muse mono blocks, with new Transparent XLR interconnect. Have bought all my recent top end hifi second hand or ex-demo from retailerse, its the best way to go I think.

Definitely.

And now I have your SCM40s to go with it :dance:

Excellent... really glad you're so happy with them.

BTW, what sort of music do you listen to?

A

Anonymous

Macspur said:
BTW, what sort of music do you listen to?

Oh usual run of the mill rock and pop, old and new...been listening to some Fleetwood Mac, Genesis, Kate Bush, Eric Clapton, The Script etc recently as well as the odd bit of classical (I have a classical upbringing). I was also a drummer so appreciate the rhythm, slam and timbre of a good drum kit :bounce:

Oh, and of course, Adele :)

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

Nothing wrong with that line up!

Just listening to a £2.99 hybrid CD of Nick Drake myself.

Had an informal chat with Arif from KJ West One today... told him what my set up is and he recommended Audio Research CD5. Unfortunately, no ex demo models available, but did make me an exchange offer with the Naim, but still not financially viable at the mo.

He also wanted to assure the HiFi world that the Company is alive and well... going through a refurv at the moment.

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Ah, yes I remember Arif, he sold me the Wadia and Muse Amps :p

Where are you located? Just wonder cos if you're local you might want to try my Wadia sometime to see if the sound is more to your liking?

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Dr Lodge said:
Ah, yes I remember Arif, he sold me the Wadia and Muse Amps :p

Where are you located? Just wonder cos if you're local you might want to try my Wadia sometime to see if the sound is more to your liking?

Thanks for the offer... Bromley, I have heard the 381, but it was quite a brief dem and while the dealer was here, so didn't get a real good play with it.

One plus straight away for the CD5 is that it's a top loader, so no tray loading mechanism... no ex dem models around though, that I can find.... which means an outlay of at least 4K plus the Naim... just not doable at the mo.

cry.gif

A

Anonymous

Macspur said:
Thanks for the offer... Bromley, I have heard the 381, but it was quite a brief dem and while the dealer was here, so didn't get a real good play with it.

Ah, I'm in Guildford so Bromley would be a trek!

Keep persevering though. I have been looking for speakers for a while. Heard the Kudos Cardea C30s and they really didn't do anything for me, and they were quite an upgrade money wise. Then saw your SCM40s which are a fair bit cheaper, but turned out they're exactly what I was looking for, both in sound and price. Might be that you keep an eye out for what comes up "pre owned" and try them...something unexpected might turn up which grabs you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts