Two year old Samsung 8500 plasma kaput!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

jog3004

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I've got the settings saved to USB, might even try it if I end up with another TV. Being a Yorkshire man, I don't like spending money, so I'll convince myself that the picture using the calibrated setting are the best thing since sliced bread!

jog3004

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
bigboss said:
If you still need calibration, I'm sure your calibrator will give you a significant discount.

I'll probably get in touch with CanaryJules, I'm sure he'll be willing to offer a decent price, but I still feel reluctant when after 2 years the panel fails. If they repair & I receive the plasma back, it'll be wondering if in two years time it'll fail again. If it's replacement, it'll have to be another Samsung, probably 65js9000, & I'll still be wondering if it'll fail again.

jog3004

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Verdict in.... The warranty company have authorised a repair. The technician was surprised as the panel alone costs £1100 then repair costs on top!! Just hope it comes with no nasty surprises as my last panel had no discernible viewing faults, apart from packing in of course. Now just have to wait for Samsung to deliver the panel to the repairers.

jog3004

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
The saga continues, after researching further on the Internet & discovering a Catologue of issues with the panel of the Samsung 8500 from the same issue I've had to the screen inexplicably developing cracks, as well as that I could be waiting 6 weeks + for the repair, I have instructed the warranty company Domestic & General that I want an equivalent replacement rather than repair. I now have to wait for their response, which I expect will be declined, but if you don't ask....

jog3004

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Another verdict in! After waiting 4 weeks, they now have found out they can't get the panel & the TVs has now been written off. It is now the anxious wait of what they consider an alternative! Really couldn't have come at a worse time, as ive an enormous amounts of outgoings over next two months. I was planning on replacing the plasma in about 2 years anyway, & unsure whether just to accept whatever placement offered & stick to two year plan or put up with 32" tv & wait 6 months & buy a 2016 unit.

jog3004

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
They must offer to you a 65" television. Don't accept anything less. Let's see exactly what they offer.

agreed SonofSJ, my concern is what they now consider like for like! I've been told that the cost of the original TVs has no bearing on what they'll offer, therefore, if they consider a £1000 led equivalent, they'll offer £1000! That's not good. It appears I've another weeks wait on top of the 7 weeks so far! I've spent 8-9 hours on hold with Domestic & General (warranty company) & my experience so far has not been pleasing. Regardless, I think I'll probably get a led either Samsung 65ju7000 or 65js8500, use this for a couple of years while OLED beds in, then buy a premium OLED. I'd fancy a 75" like yours SonofSJ, but it would cost way too much when I factor in the cost of the divorce if I buy a to that size!

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
jog3004 said:
agreed SonofSJ, my concern is what they now consider like for like! I've been told that the cost of the original TVs has no bearing on what they'll offer,

Well, I'm no lawyer, but that simply cannot be correct.

jog3004 said:
Regardless, I think I'll probably get a led either Samsung 65ju7000 or 65js8500, use this for a couple of years while OLED beds in, then buy a premium OLED. I'd fancy a 75" like yours SonofSJ, but it would cost way too much when I factor in the cost of the divorce if I buy a to that size!

My 1080p 75" Sony was only £2049 .... I'm not sure if you mean that you fancy a 75" OLED? So would I, but God only knows what LG's Signature G6 OLED would cost in the 77" size. So maybe more attainable is the new Sony 4K Full Array Local Dimming Direct LED, 75XD94.

By the way, I have NO WIFE. *acute*

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
From what a recall by other forum members any replacement works on the assumption of original price, minus time since purchase equals new TV replacement value. Unfortunately depending on different repair companies the vlaue of the time since purchase is different and so there is no way working out what the actual value of a replacement should be. For example if the TV cost £2000 and you had it two years who decides how much that two years is worth! If a TV should last five years as an example each of those years is £400, so any replacement TV should be valued at £1200. It is a lottery unfortunately and I don't believe it's stated anywhere for reference!

best of luck though

This is what Domestic and General says regarding warranty:

Replacement Equipment

If a repair is approved, we may replace your equipment with new equipment of the same or similar make and specification, if we decide not to repair it.

If we cannot reasonably arrange a replacement we may decide to pay you a contribution towards the cost of the new equipment. Usually this will be vouchers redeemable from a retailer chosen by us.

We will base this contribution on the price we would normally obtain directly from our chosen supplier.

So technically, they should not deduct the cost based on years of use. They will offer a TV of similar spec, so it will be a 1080p TV.

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
cool, I think it was Oldboy that had a problem with JohnLewis in that he had purchased a 8 series Samsung, but due to the 'current value' of the Tv taking into account the time he had had it they offered him a 7 series replacement. Still 1080p but its those extra 'features' that you don't get.

Hopefully all will be good here, do keep us posted

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
The issue with oldboy was that the TV had a fault not normally deemed a fault by warranty exclusions. In this case, the TV has gone kaput.

oh, i thought the fault turned out to be some flies, which was covered! But he was advised if it was dead pixel it wasn't covered. Oh well never mind, must be going barmy!

jog3004

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Well guys (& gals), I've got the offer on the table, drum roll please...................................

D&G have offered settlement of £1883.59. I must say, I am quite happy with this, so have returned the signed agreement. I have to say, Reliant Direct whom I purchased the TV from, especially John, have been excellent, & I think John's contact with D&G yesterday helped no end with the speed of reply & offer, so a big thank you to him. But, credit where credit is due, D&G stepped up to the plate with their offer, so kudos to them too.

i now may push to the 65js9000, which is HDR compatible, however, could someone confirm whether the 65js8500 is HDR compatible? The link Gel gave for the avforums review of Samsung 4K bluray, suggested that it is, although I've been told by previous sources that it isn't.

Well just to wait for the call from Reliant Direct to confirm the credit is in, hopefully tomorrow or Thursday, then it's time to spend it*biggrin*

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Good news all round then. Are you limited to spend it where you made your original purchase? Having said that if you received excellent customer service why not buy from them again!

jog3004

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
rocketrazor said:
Good news all round then. Are you limited to spend it where you made your original purchase? Having said that if you received excellent customer service why not buy from them again!

i am limited to buy from reliant direct, but I have had fantastic customer service, I would put it on par with John Lewis, so I have no option buying from them again.

jog3004

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
gel said:

I'd seen this one as well Gel, but would have to add extra £1000, which I don't really want to do. Reliant Direct price match & ive found a UK stockist with same terms selling the 65js9000 at £2299, so with price match only have to pay £400. I'm planning on heading down your route Gel in about 2 years by buying a premium OLED once the technology beds in & prices reduce. The Samsung will then go in the games room.

D

Deleted member 2457

jog3004 said:
gel said:

I'd seen this one as well Gel, but would have to add extra £1000, which I don't really want to do. Reliant Direct price match & ive found a UK stockist with same terms selling the 65js9000 at £2299, so with price match only have to pay £400. I'm planning on heading down your route Gel in about 2 years by buying a premium OLED once the technology beds in & prices reduce. The Samsung will then go in the games room.
The Js9000 sounds good, nice one!

TRENDING THREADS