Two year old Samsung 8500 plasma kaput!

jog3004

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
My Samsung plasma decided to give up the ghost this week at just over 2 years old! Luckily had extended warranty so I am covered, but trying to enjoy tv now at 32" rather than 64". Starting having problems a few weeks back, when the tv was turned off, if you turned it back on within 10 minutes, no picture at all but sound OK, front led flashing. If you fully unplugged for about 10 minutes it'd work again. Then the over day, whilst watching, it just turned completely off! & after few troubleshooting steps that didn't work as it seems there is no power at all. Immediately thought PSU issue. When checking Internet, it appears there is a long history of PSU problems with Samsung televisions, which still appears to be causing problems to many owners in about the same timescale as mine, which I was oblivious to. Now wishing I'd bought Panasonic VT! First Samsung I've ever had, as much as I love the PQ, not impressed that a £3000 plasma fails in 2 years! Even if it can be easily repaired, but leaves me worried about what will happen in another 2 years. A warning to any Samsung owners or anyone considering Samsung tv, get extended warranty as there is a long list of complaints about samsungs televisions failing in (or sooner in some cases) within 2 years.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Strictly speaking these extended warranties are not needed.

By law you get 6 years cover anyway in England. So even the RS & John Lewis give you no more than what you're entitled. I can see that they make life easier as I had a retailer in the past that was very reluctant to fulfill their legal obligations.

Id say if the retailer offers these warranties as standard, alla good. But I'd certainly never pay for one.

In the absence of a warranty the retailer of the goods is automatically liable for any faults which may develop within the first six months of ownership. Following this initial six month period the consumer will have to prove that any faults occurring are not down to misuse of the product or general wear and tear. Other factors such as the price paid, the specification or the model of the goods, the length of time you have had the goods and the length of time which they should last.

This means that if you have purchased a product which should last six years but which has broken down after only two the supplier or retailer will be liable to provide a satisfactory repair. If this cannot be done they should provide you with a replacement product. If neither of these can be agreed on then often a partial refund of the cost of the product can be provided.

I would rather have a 5 or 6 year warranty for peace of mind, instead of having to prove its not due to misuse. I'm not paying extra to John Lewis anyway.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Like Richard, I wouldn't pay for an extended warranty, and like BB, I'd only buy from a retailer that provided one.

To the OP:

Are they replacing your TV, or repairing it? As you said, the PSU may fail again in another 2 years, and again 2 years after that. I would suggest that you push for a replacent tv, with a new 5/6 year warranty thrown in.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. I've just bought a TV from JL for that reason.

I was just questioning the wisdom of paying extra for a warranty. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if extended warranties were the next PPI.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

richardw42 said:
Agreed. I've just bought a TV from JL for that reason.

I was just questioning the wisdom of paying extra for a warranty. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if extended warranties were the next PPI.

I hope so, I like free money. *biggrin*

jog3004

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I think I may push for replacement, I am concerned that it will recur in another couple of years. Reading others issues of a similar nature, Samsung allegedly use cheap PSU parts, a lawsuit was settled a couple of years ago, in USA I think, against Samsung, after which most buyers assumed they'd mend their ways, but alas, from posts thereafter right up to & including 2016, this issue continues. It is my understanding, before I can push for replacement, I have to give opportunity to allow repair, but some others who have looked for parts replacement for this plasma have struggled to find them due to production ending. My other issue is if I'm forced to buy from the same retailer, they only stock Samsung, which considering my first experience with this brand, leave me once bitten twice shy.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Plasma run hot, very hot.

I think they have cooling fans built into their backs to keep their guts at sensible temperatures.

Given that the fans are the only mechanical parts, and given the symptoms you describe, I wouldn't be surprised if the fan has / fans have gone belly up, and some sort of thermal cut-out is activating to shut down the set before more serious damage is done.

It might therefore be a repair rather than a replace job.

Just a thought.

jog3004

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Could be right re fans, however,, this was one my first thoughts that it had overheated. I felt around all casing , round back etc, but no obvious hot spots. It also cut out after only being on about 20 minutes. Wife just told me that it cut out on her a few weeks back, she apparently just kept pressing buttons on the remote & it came back to life. Apparently she told me about this the day after, & then went on about how I don't something or other to her, but phased out (only joking).

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
richardw42 said:
Id say if the retailer offers these warranties as standard, alla good. But I'd certainly never pay for one.

I certainly would, in fact I would not buy a new television without an extended warranty. But Richer Sounds, John Lewis and Crampton and Moore offer extended guarantees as standard. Currys do on some televisions, not on all.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Solid state electronics either work or they don't. No half way house like an old CRT telly loosing one of the colours before the whole TV finally goes "phut" and the all important smoke escapes.

20 minutes is probably about right to get up to (and over) operating temperature, and just because you can't feel heat doesn't mean some crucial part hasn't exceeded its temperature limit. Think of a PC and the CPU fan dying - the case won't get hot but the PC will shut down anyway. Your wife probably just pushed buttons until the thing cooled down enough to work again.

Either way, take it back to where you bought it and have your consumer rights memorized - Citizens Advice (if Cameron hasn't shut them down) or your local trading standards can help if the spotty oik in the shop gives you grief.

Either that or drop the thing loading it into the car and claim on your house insurance - I did NOT say that ;-)

jog3004

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully we'll soon find out the issue plaguing my tv, it's collected on Thursday & they claim they'll ring within 3-4 days to let me know what's wrong & how long it'll take to repair.

jog3004

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Well, the repair company are now thinking that the panel may be dead! If they can confirm this, they think it is likely that the warranty insurer may decide to replace the TV with one of the same quality & spec via vouchers for a chosen retailer. I'm unsure how they'll do this considering the availability of an equivalent is zilch, & I'm unsure whether the vouchers amount will be for the full original cost or whether the two years use will be taken into account. I just hope I don't have a long fight on my hands!

D

Deleted member 2457

jog3004 said:
Well, the repair company are now thinking that the panel may be dead! If they can confirm this, they think it is likely that the warranty insurer may decide to replace the TV with one of the same quality & spec via vouchers for a chosen retailer. I'm unsure how they'll do this considering the availability of an equivalent is zilch, & I'm unsure whether the vouchers amount will be for the full original cost or whether the two years use will be taken into account. I just hope I don't have a long fight on my hands!
what are you going to get now then? An ?Oled?

jog3004

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Not sure, I'm awaiting for repairer to definetly confirm the panels dead, then have to wait for insurers decision. The repairer as stated that sometimes insurers surprise them & pay for panel replacement, if they can get one! It also depends on amount of money I get. It couldn't have come at a worse time really having just bought a new car outright, mot of second car costing £500, £3000 to pay for a holiday next month & last month buying a pioneer amp to replace my faulty av900. The other issue is that if I get vouchers, it'll be with the retailer I bought the plasma from, who don't get me wrong, so far have been excellent, but only stock Samsung. I'm alittle once bitten, twice shy, but they're currently offering 6 year free warranty with them. Though, whatever I do, it's in the hands of the insurer & any decision they make could take another week or two. Looks like my trusty LG 32" led will be my main TVs for awhile yet.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Replace those with quality Japanese electrolytic caps with low ESR and high temp resistnce and the TV will last you longer.

The ones (21 as far as I can count) used by the factory are proven to be rubbish. Visit the BadCapsForum if you are curious how often this happens.

jog3004

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
The verdicts in..... According to the repairers the panel needs replacing. They're waiting for confirmation of the cost etc. Then will discuss with me warranty company for the decision. Far as I'm aware panels for plasma are significant, added to the repair companies time, I'm wondering if the decision will be replacement?

jog3004

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
According to the repairers, the panel is one of two they can source, but they need to strip the tv down to work out which it is. I've to ring back Monday when hopefully I will have an answer of whether the plasma will be repaired or replaced. The painful things is regardless, it's £230 down the pan for the calibration I paid for!

Paul.

jog3004 said:
According to the repairers, the panel is one of two they can source, but they need to strip the tv down to work out which it is. I've to ring back Monday when hopefully I will have an answer of whether the plasma will be repaired or replaced. The painful things is regardless, it's £230 down the pan for the calibration I paid for!

do you have a printout of your settings? Bash them in, you might get lucky.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Jog3004, your calibrator should certainly have given you a printed or electronic version of your settings, which you can input to the repaired panel. No, they won't be exactly correct for the new panel, but the old setting will be better than nothing. If your calibrator did not give you some version of the settings, that is a significant omission. Contact him again in that case.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts