TV Shootout: Panasonic CZ950, LG EF950V OLED, ZT Plasma

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

tele1962

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
gel said:
All your plasmas are a thing of the past, you are living in cloud cockoo loud (sic), you need to stop living in the past and be in the present with OLED. You know that OLED TV technology and is better but you just can't face it.

Btw in your post I have no idea what you are talking about but that isn't at first!

Look gel, this man agrees with you, even though he expresses himself rather more reasonably! I'm not sure which particular OLED he now has though.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/panasonic-zt65-calibrated.1989776/

Bloody hell if i had the money i would grab it.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Hire a bigger car for the day! By the way, what will you do with your existing 50VT65? I think that you should move it to another room, that's what I do with my televisions as each one is succeeded by a bigger replacement. But if you have no more rooms, what to do with your 50VT65?? I know - you could sell it to Gel, since he likes plasmas so much!!! *acute*

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Series1boy, am I not good to you? I've just seen this 65VT65 for sale! Trouble is, it's in Glasgow, but it's still available ..... https://www.avforums.com/threads/panasonic-tx-p65vt65b.1988056/

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I could hire a transit van for around £50.... I would move the VT into our bedroom, and then the 46pz85b pdp into our conservatory. That'll be 3 PDPs, but not as many as you son of sj..

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
gel said:
All your plasmas are a thing of the past, you are living in cloud cockoo loud (sic), you need to stop living in the past and be in the present with OLED. You know that OLED TV technology and is better but you just can't face it.

Btw in your post I have no idea what you are talking about but that isn't at first!

Look gel, this man agrees with you, even though he expresses himself rather more reasonably! I'm not sure which particular OLED he now has though.

Yep, they are all selling their plasmas on there and are buying OLEDs.

tele1962

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
gel said:
Son_of_SJ said:
gel said:
All your plasmas are a thing of the past, you are living in cloud cockoo loud (sic), you need to stop living in the past and be in the present with OLED.  You know that OLED TV technology and is better but you just can't face it. ?

Btw in your post I have no idea what you are talking about but that isn't at first! ?

Yep, they are all selling their plasmas on there and are buying OLEDs.  
Oh dear!

D

Deleted member 2457

Anybody recognise themselves?

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/news/article/crampton-moore-to-hold-oled-vs-plasma-shootout-in-leeds/22549

D

Deleted member 2457

OLED destroys plasma:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2015/11/10/oled-tv-beats-plasma-tv-in-new-public-shoot-out/

tele1962

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I am laughing at the usual suspects again jumping the gun again over on AVF LOL. I would say try before you buy and no way at the moment sell your VT/ZT's that is absolute madness.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Apart from the size increase, then there is no point with this. I'd only change to the ZT but I am having second thoughts and I think I'm going to wait for the 2016 OLEDS and see how 4K goes. Thanks for the link though son of SJ :)

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
gel said:

Hmmm. "Destroys", says gel. Having actually read the article, the 25 votes to OLED seem to have been influenced by OLED's (1) brighter whites and (2) blacker blacks than the plasma. We did know that before the shootout, particularly as the Panasonic ZT plasma is slightly less bright than the VT65 series of plasmas, because of the ZT's extra filter. The ZT plasma had (1) better screen uniformity, (2) better motion handling and (3) better detail just above black than the OLEDs. Some destruction of the plasma by the OLEDs that is! I know that the VT65 plasmas and the last generation of Pioneer Kuro plasmas are both slightly more dynamic (greater contrast between black and white) than the ZT plasma. Read the second pararaph of the "Clash of the Titans" section of the Home Cinema Choice review, here http://www.homecinemachoice.com/news/article/panasonic-tx-p60zt65-plasma-tv-review/16249/. I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm more than happy with the amount of dynamism of both my Pioneer LX5090 and Panasonic 65VT65 plasmas, and I don't feel the need to chase the better black levels and brighter whites that OLED offers. I'm happy with the good motion handling, screen uniformity and shadow detail of all four of my plasmas. But if someone else wants to change their plasmas for OLEDs, that's fine by me! I was in Richer Sounds only today and looked at a 55" LG 920V OLED, and very nice it looked too. If I were in the market for a 55" television, it would certainly be considered. But as it happens, I'm not, not at that size. I was looking at WNBA basketball on three of my plasmas last night, beamed there from my PC down very long VGA connectors, at a screen resolution of 1360 x 768 at 60Hz, and I was thinking that it still looked pretty damn good. Of course, it helps that my sets have nearly all been calibrated ......

But I'm not troubled at all that many people will prefer OLED, and indeed did ultimately prefer the OLEDs at the shootout. For the time being, and in fact since I bought my first (the Pioneer 428XD in summer 2008), I'm very happy with my plasmas.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Series1boy said:
Apart from the size increase, then there is no point with this. I'd only change to the ZT but I am having second thoughts and I think I'm going to wait for the 2016 OLEDS and see how 4K goes. Thanks for the link though son of SJ :)

I don't think you've seen my post number 181 about the 65VT65 for sale? Size matters. If you do wait until the end of next year (by which time prices will have fallen) to get an OLED, get a 65" one, not a 55"

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Yes I did see your post re the VT 65" and I'm not interested in replacing the same series albeit larger than mine. I will wait until next year now and ill be going for a minimum 65" for sure.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Whats crazy about that test was how close it was between the LG and Panny OLED - thats just not right??

Was one flat and one curved or both curved?

If both curved then surely the result is biased in favour of ownership - becasue technically its the same panel with the Panasonic being a tweaked better version - so why did people vote for the LG as best? Thats just wrong

Lets not forget this was setup to demonstrate and sell the OLEDS - so was each TV setup to equal max brightness or just its max peak white before clipping? That puts the ZT at a disadvantage due to Power Consumption and brightness limiting but that is the better demo of the tech available.

Its obvious tech has moved on - but presently clearly not leaps and bounds - thats why they have had to bring in HDR because 4K alone is not enough because you need to be close to see the benefit, HDR will be more blatant / sell itself I feel

D

Deleted member 2457

Series1boy said:
Yes I did see your post re the VT 65" and I'm not interested in replacing the same series albeit larger than mine. I will wait until next year now and ill be going for a minimum 65" for sure.
Same here but I may wait another 2 or 3 years though. I want to see some real improvement first otherwise I will just keep what I've got.

D

Deleted member 2457

ellisdj said:
Whats crazy about that test was how close it was between the LG and Panny OLED - thats just not right??

Was one flat and one curved or both curved?

If both curved then surely the result is biased in favour of ownership - becasue technically its the same panel with the Panasonic being a tweaked better version - so why did people vote for the LG as best? Thats just wrong

Lets not forget this was setup to demonstrate and sell the OLEDS - so was each TV setup to equal max brightness or just its max peak white before clipping? That puts the ZT at a disadvantage due to Power Consumption and brightness limiting but that is the better demo of the tech available.

Its obvious tech has moved on - but presently clearly not leaps and bounds - thats why they have had to bring in HDR because 4K alone is not enough because you need to be close to see the benefit, HDR will be more blatant / sell itself I feel
Thats what they are saying on AV too. And it's just any Tom, **** and Harry choosing which one is best. Bit of a joke really. *smile*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts