Turntable/phono stage picking up and amplifying broadband data noise!

dommy_chad

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone - I wonder if anyone can help...

I have been annoyed lately by a great deal of 'popping' when I try to listen to my turntable. Having disconnected and reconnected my entire hi-fi system, I have now realised that the problem is in fact that we upgraded our TV from normal freeview to Youview from BT, and the internet content is transferred using the mains wiring via a couple of those ethernet mains adapters. It's this background data noise that is being amplified, and hey presto when I unplug both adapters the noise stops.

I don't want to have to do that every time I wish to listen to my vinyl - and of course there are times when I want to do that while others in the household want to use the internet at the same time.

Can anyone advise me as to whether or not there is any kind of shielded mains cable or adapter that will do the job? In case it makes a difference, my turntable is a Pro-Ject Perspective, connected to a Nad 3020 via its moving coil phono stage.

Thanks for any help and advice that you can offer...

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
dommy_chad, perhaps a Tacima mains filter will help? I've got two, and they're ok, for me, but I've never experienced your problem. Presumably, if it's going to work for your situation, their effect will be immediate, so if it doesn't work you can send it back. As it's a 6-way device, you may find your sound affected if you plug your main amp into it, but just plug your TT into it, and see.

If you have A/V equipment adjacent, try plugging it into the Tacima, as some people here have reported improved pictures.

bluenose

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
try again.

had a similar problem after moving TT and buying new cable (project phono with earth). Something to do with position of cable maybe or poor earth cable quality.

New cable made it sound like I was getting al jazeera. sent it back and used cheapo cable with home made earth cable, no problem. Bought new non-earthed cable and again used homemade earth, ok now.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts