Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

martois

Dec 24, 2023
Visit site
I got a new turntable and it will require a phono stage/preamplifier (previous TT had one built in). I will first want try a more budget friendly tube preamplifier and eventually consider spending more $$ when I have time to research and better understand what I need and want. For this initial purchase: would I do better by purchasing a used/vintage from a local shop or new model online?

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
I got a new turntable and it will require a phono stage/preamplifier (previous TT had one built in). I will first want try a more budget friendly tube preamplifier and eventually consider spending more $$ when I have time to research and better understand what I need and want. For this initial purchase: would I do better by purchasing a used/vintage from a local shop or new model online?
Buy once buy right. Even if it takes you 6months.
Tube wise projects tube based preamps are affordable

But more info will gather you more suggestions

martois

Dec 24, 2023
Visit site
What TT? What Amp? Speakers?
Dual (Primus Maximus) with MC Ortofon (Bronze Quintet) cartridge, for now my amp is a Yamaha TSR 6750 receiver (used for movie surround sound, may upgrade this component over time as well), Klipsch ref. speakers

Last edited:

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
Project tubebox ds2 would be the minimum I'd recommend for that moving coil cartridge....( It's not a full on valve amp though) if you want that you'll need to look at something from icon audio or unison Research and they aren't exactly budget phono pre amps.....further down the line everything is going to need a overhaul with that level of turntable....IF you want to get the best from it.

Last edited:
Reactions: martois

nads

Dual (Primus Maximus) with MC Ortofon (Bronze Quintet) cartridge, for now my amp is a Yamaha TSR 6750 receiver (used for movie surround sound, may upgrade this component over time as well), Klipsch ref. speakers
Mmm Quintet cart. Not cheap. AV amp cheap.
buy a low cost phono amp or change out your amp. Pointless spending on a suitable phono stage with that amp.

just my thoughts.

Reactions: Al ears and martois

martois

Dec 24, 2023
Visit site
Yeah, I figured. Will be saving up for a new AMP. I think this might be the way to go, get a servicable phono stage now, with an eye to upgrade both the phono stage and AMP when I can afford it.

Thanks all!

martois

Dec 24, 2023
Visit site
Project tubebox ds2 would be the minimum I'd recommend for that moving coil cartridge....( It's not a full on valve amp though) if you want that you'll need to look at something from icon audio or unison Research and they aren't exactly budget phono pre amps.....further down the line everything is going to need a overhaul with that level of turntable....IF you want to get the best from it.
Discussed my current setup and future plans to upgrade other elements at my local store; he sold me a lightly used Chord Huei. Thinks it is a pre-Amp that can help now and continue to function well when other components get updated.

martois

Dec 24, 2023
Visit site
Hopefully you got it for a good price..... :cool:
There's plenty out there that may be better.
I am already very happy with it! Very easy to setup, works with my current TT and the sound is already better than the integrated preamp in that TT. I am excited that it will allow me to use my new TT with the MC cartridge. I got it at a price that I am comfortable with for sure. So once I save up enough for a new amp/receiver, I know that I can then consider finding something that sounds even better with whatever amp I end up with.

Reactions: Al ears
I am already very happy with it! Very easy to setup, works with my current TT and the sound is already better than the integrated preamp in that TT. I am excited that it will allow me to use my new TT with the MC cartridge. I got it at a price that I am comfortable with for sure. So once I save up enough for a new amp/receiver, I know that I can then consider finding something that sounds even better with whatever amp I end up with.
Glad it's all working out for you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts