Turntable connect external amp

cricanr

Sep 26, 2022
Visit site
Hi, I have an old Tesla NZC 150 turntable: https://www.vinylengine.com/library/tesla/nzc-150.shtml and some very old small speakers that work together well.
And I have a technics amp from the 90s with some more powerful speakers. I would like to know if there is any trick I could do to connect the NZC 150 to the amp and use the powerful speakers as I can't seem to find any preamp output.

Thanks,
Radu

Gray

You need to know what (if any) output(s) the Tesla has - apart from its speaker outputs.

A 'Tape Output' would do what you require - but as the Tesla seems to have its own cassette deck, it probably hasn't got a tape output.

If you've got any doubt, post a clear picture of the rear panel connections.

cricanr

Sep 26, 2022
Visit site
Hi Thanks!

Yes, here are some pictures: https://elektrotanya.com/tesla_nzc-150_sm.pdf/download.html#dl

And

It also has a headphone output, but I would asume that would not be a good option as it should already be amplified for headphones, not pure sound output.

Thanks

Gray

Well the good news is you've got a DIN socket, marked with the tape symbol - there's likely to be both an input and output on the same socket.
I expect it's a 5 pin, 180 degree type....but a more zoomed in picture of those sockets later will confirm it. Then it's just a case of getting the correct DIN to twin RCA lead, for connection to your Technics amp 👍

Gray

Is that a record or playback lead though Al?
(Most of those leads go in rather than take out).

It was obviously clear enough for you to confirm it was the 180 degree type too?

Vincent Kars

It says male-male but the pic tells different indeed.
This is the right one

(Got a feeling he's buying the 3&5, but he needs the 1&4 type).
That is my feeling as well as it connect CD/Tuner etc so inputs instead of output.

Reactions: Gray and Al ears

Vincent Kars

Amazon link for the product: https://amzn.eu/d/hBpC83b
Probably not. This is the cable you need to connect a CD/Tuner etc to a amp with a DIN input.
You want to connect the turntable to an amp so you need a DIN cable with outputs.
This is what a TAPE connecter does, it has 2 inputs so you can play (Grays 3&5) and 2 outputs so you can record.
You need the 2 outputs to connect to a external amp.

Reactions: Gray

Gray

Yes, you can't go wrong with that lead because all pins are connected.

Those DIN sockets can be an input or an output, or both.
More often than not though, they don't make it very clear whether the plug they're selling will give or take the signal. The majority give (they use pins 3 and 5 respectively for the L & R signals. Pin 2 is the common screen in all cases.

If you were to buy a lead with only 2 RCA plugs, you would just need to ensure that they specify that pins 1 and 4 are connected in the plug.

Reactions: cricanr and Al ears

cricanr

Sep 26, 2022
Visit site
Yes, you can't go wrong with that lead because all pins are connected.

Those DIN sockets can be an input or an output, or both.
More often than not though, they don't make it very clear whether the plug they're selling will give or take the signal. The majority give (they use pins 3 and 5 respectively for the L & R signals. Pin 2 is the common screen in all cases.

If you were to buy a lead with only 2 RCA plugs, you would just need to ensure that they specify that pins 1 and 4 are connected in the plug.
Thanks for the clarification, these cables were a bit of a mystery to me, they are from way before my time.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts