Turntable auditions tomorrow - Excited!

tyranniux42

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
:) :) :) :)

So ive got the Gyro Se with Technoarm and a rondo red or blue at 11:00 at Vickers in York, although I have no idea what ill be listening through as they dont stock Naim :-( still should be good.

Then at 4 at Sound organisation ive got an Lp12 and a Rega RP6 lined up. I did ask for the P7 but unfortunately no stock. These will be through my amp and speakers so should get a good feel of what the difference between the LP12 and the rega is, im hoping there isnt much and I only have to spend a grand or so haha! I would love to buy from here as they have sorted me out all along my current set up with truly exemplary customer service - big shout to Bob!

Can anyone recommend any other phono stages to listen to with any of the tables as Ill be taking my current CA 640p along, I am fully aware that Ill likely have to change this to get the best from any of the tables mentioned!

regards

Dan

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Dan

I can't really offer much in they way of helpful advice, but I do remember how much I enjoyed going from a Trio 1033 -> Rega Planar 3 -> LP12. Each step up the ladder came with a big jump in sound quality. For me, the Linn gave the most pleasure, and the LP12 has enjoyed continuous improvement over the last 20 years, making it sound more neutral.

Whatever happens, you are in for a cracking time, and I for one am looking forward to your thoughts and insights. As for a phono amp, you might want to consider the MF M1 Vinl.

Good luck with your day

Cno

iceman16

tyranniux42 said:
:) :) :) :)

So ive got the Gyro Se with Technoarm and a rondo red or blue at 11:00 at Vickers in York, although I have no idea what ill be listening through as they dont stock Naim :-( still should be good.

Then at 4 at Sound organisation ive got an Lp12 and a Rega RP6 lined up. I did ask for the P7 but unfortunately no stock. These will be through my amp and speakers so should get a good feel of what the difference between the LP12 and the rega is, im hoping there isnt much and I only have to spend a grand or so haha! I would love to buy from here as they have sorted me out all along my current set up with truly exemplary customer service - big shout to Bob!

Can anyone recommend any other phono stages to listen to with any of the tables as Ill be taking my current CA 640p along, I am fully aware that Ill likely have to change this to get the best from any of the tables mentioned!

regards

Dan
Hi Dan,

If you can try to audition some Tom Evans phono stage they are very good IMHO. Have nice time:)

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
See if you can get a listen to this Leema:

http://www.whathifi.com/review/leema-elements

But most importantly, take along your favourite vinyl and enjoy :)

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Or as an alternative phono stage, you could consider http://www.ant-audio.co.uk/index.php?cat=product

I've just got myself one of their MM units and it is superb. Bought it with the option of returning it after 2 weeks with a full refund if I was not totally happy.

tyranniux42

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Well thats the gyodec listened to. Heard it through a project phono amp which had two valves poking through the top and a marantz integrated amp which the dealer said was around 2500 connected to some proac d18. The system sounded a little dark for my liking but the table shone through. Truly excellent.

Shame it cant be a true comparison to the linn and rega but nvm.

tyranniux42

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Well folks im in love.... Again haha.

Rega rp6 is a fantastic spinner to say the least, I took along amnesiac on both vinyl amd cd amd sat the cd5xs along side the decks, the rega certainly put up a fight where the boogie factor is concerned so I would say buy with confidence...

Then the lp12 was set to spin amd my jaw hit the floor.

The sense of realism came, comparing it to the rega in my opinion was like comparing a good tribute act playing in a garage.compared to the original band playing wembley. Awesome!

Ofcoirse you should expect it to better the rega at three times the price but the margin for me was much wider than expected.

I desperately want to hear the gyro with my gear, does anyone know any dealers who stock naim and michell? Even better would be a dealer who stocka michell and linn so I could directly compare. Answers on a post card please :)

tyranniux42 said:
Well folks im in love.... Again haha. Rega rp6 is a fantastic spinner to say the least, I took along amnesiac on both vinyl amd cd amd sat the cd5xs along side the decks, the rega certainly put up a fight where the boogie factor is concerned so I would say buy with confidence... Then the lp12 was set to spin amd my jaw hit the floor. The sense of realism came, comparing it to the rega in my opinion was like comparing a good tribute act playing in a garage.compared to the original band playing wembley. Awesome! Ofcoirse you should expect it to better the rega at three times the price but the margin for me was much wider than expected. I desperately want to hear the gyro with my gear, does anyone know any dealers who stock naim and michell? Even better would be a dealer who stocka michell and linn so I could directly compare. Answers on a post card please :)

May help if you let us know which region of the country/world you live.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
tyranniux42 said:
... Then the lp12 was set to spin amd my jaw hit the floor. The sense of realism came, comparing itrega in my opinion was like comparing a good tribute act playing in a garage.compared to the original band playing wembley. to theAwesome! Ofcoirse you should expect it to better the rega at three times the price but the margin for me was much wider than expected.

.....the more things change, the more they stay the same. :)

tyranniux42

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Apologies, live between leeds and york but am more than willing to travel...

Not sure what you mean by "the more things change, the more they stay the same"...

Regards

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
tyranniux42 said:
Not sure what you mean by "the more things change, the more they stay the same".

Sorry, I'm inclined to waffle on.

25 years ago I went through the same process, with a Rega Planar 3 (RB300 & A&R E77 cart) vs Linn Sondek LP12 (Ittok & Asak)....25 years on, and many variants later, you have nicely described the difference I heard back then.

A

Anonymous

Get in touch with inspire hi fi in chesterfield and listen to one of their modified LP12s - you might just save yourself £2k

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Totally agree about comparing the Orbe to the LP12. It's only fair to compare similarly priced products. Also why compare the RP6 to the LP12 and not the P9 to the LP12?

For sure the LP12 is a competent turntable. However, it is easy to find a better sounding turntable - as long as you're looking in the right places.

tyranniux42

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Totally agree about comparing the Orbe to the LP12. It's only fair to compare similarly priced products. Also why compare the RP6 to the LP12 and not the P9 to the LP12?

For sure the LP12 is a competent turntable. However, it is easy to find a better sounding turntable - as long as you're looking in the right places.

Well to be fair the gyro and lp12 I listended to where 200 quid apart so hardly unfair.

I originally wanted to listen to the p7 but unfortunately my dealer only had an rp6 in. I wanted to love the rega and not like the linn as of the 3 the linn moves me the least on appearance.

Ill defo listen to an orbe, a gyro amd the linn again through my gear tho as ive realised that I need to spend over the 2k mark to get what im after.

So any other table suggestions where the dealer stocks naim? Im willing to travel :)

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Is Coventry too far. Frank Harvey do Naim, the Gyro and the Orbe or they did last time I looked. David should confirm although under House Rules he may not be allowed to, and I know he does not plug their shop.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Having been looking at TT over the past 12 months, the name that kept coming up was 'Nottingham Analogue turntables' as an improvement over Linn? I was not into that sort of money, but feel an audition is worth while if you are on a Linn budget?

CJSF

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts