Turntable candidates

friendly_ghost

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone!

Loudspeakers, check!
Next up in the upgrade chain of things will be a turntable and I might just start reading and looking into the candidates even though it might take me a while to save up the funds to start listening and buy one.
I was thinking of spending at least €1000, but might be convinced to save a little longer and get into the €1500 range (a Gyro will have to wait for now).
What I was really wondering about is besides Pro-Ject and Rega, what would be other makes to look out for and eventually audition in these budgets.
The usual suspects are:
€1000: RP3, Project Xperience
€1500: RP6

Any further suggestions?

Thanks!
Casper

friendly_ghost said:
Hello everyone!

Loudspeakers, check!Next up in the upgrade chain of things will be a turntable and I might just start reading and looking into the candidates even though it might take me a while to save up the funds to start listening and buy one.I was thinking of spending at least €1000, but might be convinced to save a little longer and get into the €1500 range (a Gyro will have to wait for now).What I was really wondering about is besides Pro-Ject and Rega, what would be other makes to look out for and eventually audition in these budgets.The usual suspects are:€1000: RP3, Project Xperience€1500: RP6

Any further suggestions?

Thanks!Casper

Can we take it you would purchase a new item?

friendly_ghost

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I guess so. I have been looking at Thorenses for a long time, but am hesitant to buy. I have no reference point at this stage, so if I would be able to audition I would feel more comfortable with having made a good choice.
Does that make sense? What second hand tables did you have in mind that would rival a RP6 for instance?
I'm from Belgium, if that makes a difference.

friendly_ghost said:
I guess so. I have been looking at Thorenses for a long time, but am hesitant to buy. I have no reference point at this stage, so if I would be able to audition I would feel more comfortable with having made a good choice.Does that make sense? What second hand tables did you have in mind that would rival a RP6 for instance?I'm from Belgium, if that makes a difference.

It is always better to audition if you can rather than buying on advice alone so if you can actually go to a dealer to get a RP6 then I would do that. Buying new you always have a warranty which can be useful, and you know the items history.

If you are unsure about cartridge set-up it is also better to get a dealer to do it for you.

If you do consider the RP6 can I advise you to get one without the normally fitted Rega cartridge and instead ask dealer to get and fit a Nagaoka MP200 instead if the price difference is not too great.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
http://www.inspirehifi.co.uk/apollo.html

http://www.inspirehifi.co.uk/quest-clear.html

https://www.divineaudio.co.uk/analogue-works-turntable-one

http://www.analogueseduction.net/clearaudio-turntables/clearaudio-concept-turntable.html

friendly_ghost

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks! I'll have a look at these and see if I find some Belgian suppliers.
I must admit I had been looking at the Analogue Works, but the price has increased quite steeply with the new model.
I also don't like the new finishes...

friendly_ghost

May 8, 2014
Visit site
If I were to buy second hand, how much should I budget for tonearm and cart (ballpark)?
Any more leftfield suggestions, I will have a lot of time to audition...

friendly_ghost said:
If I were to buy second hand, how much should I budget for tonearm and cart (ballpark)?Any more leftfield suggestions, I will have a lot of time to audition...

Not wanting to sound difficult but if you are just starting out then it would be better to buy turntable and tonearm as a package.

friendly_ghost

May 8, 2014
Visit site
No, not at all difficult. Just getting carried away I guess. I do understand that buying a full package (excluding the cart) would be best. I guess that is where I will start.

The options to look into seem to be:
- Rega RP3/RP6
- Pro-Ject 2XPression
- Clearaudio Concept

Thanks everyone!

You should definitely put the Marantz TT15S1 turntable on your list to check out.

It would match your gear, it is made by clearaudio, and comes with both a clearaudio arm, and cartridge.

A very nice piece of kit, sounds superb. And can be found at a decent price across Europe.

It has the same motor and tonearm, not sure about the cart. But the platter, plinth and feet are all upgraded. With the plinth being shaped to match the modern marantz range of separates.

It is definitely not a "budget" copy. If anything it is a upgraded version. Just has a marantz badge.

friendly_ghost said:
The hardest part is not getting too tempted ;)If I were to buy secondhand, what models should I be on the lookout for?This for instance is kind of a classic no?http://www.q-cennia.com/pioneer-plc-590.html

Never heard of it. :)

If new to the game I would stick to buying well known makes that are not too old that still have spare parts readily available and can be serviced by the original manufacturer. Something along the lines of Origin Live, Michell or Roksan.

TRENDING THREADS