Turntable candidates

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Friendly Ghost.

Go check that PL 590 out to make sure it's all still working fine and that it sounds as fantastic as it should.

Assuming it does, haggle the price down a bit and buy it.

Pioneeer made the joint best ever turntables. The 590 was just a rung or two down the range from the Exclusive P3. http://www.thevintageknob.org/pioneer-PLC-590.html

That 590 will sound better than anything ever produced by Origin Live, Michell and Roksan. All of which are relatively small companies compared to what Pioneer were when they made the 590. Which shows in the sophistication of the engineering underpinning the 590.

Al ears, seeing as you'd never even heard of a 590 before it was mentioned in this thread, what makes you think you're qualified to advise anyone to avoid it? Are you aware of the Dunning Kruger syndrome?

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Pioneer-PLC-590-mit-Tonarm-PA-5000-/181894796792?hash=item2a59c655f8:g:20EAAOSwNNxWE8Un

Here's another 590. Main reason for price difference is that this ebay one comes with the rather nice Pioneer PA-5000 arm.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Pioneer-PA-5000-Highend-Tonarm-PA-5000-exclusive-/231717459791?hash=item35f36fd74f:g:m~cAAOSw5VFWGlg3

The PA-5000 arm is worth about 650 euros (offer 600 euros and settle on 650).

You could buy the TT you linked to plus the PA 5000 arm and sell the ADC arm. That would give you a fantastic 2000 to 2100 euro turntable and arm combination that is likely to go up in value over time.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
This Sony TTS 4000 with matching Sony arm from the same seller for about 1200 to 1300 euros would make a slightly cheaper alternative to the Pioneer 590:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/SONY-TTS-4000-Plattenspieler-Laufwerk-xl-ES-QS-Ortofon-Original-Highend-Vintage-/121785825817?hash=item1c5b003a19:g:tmsAAOSwNSxVN2Cf

For someone with 5000 euros to spare, this is one of the joint best ever turntables ever made:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/HIGH-END-STUDIO-PLATTENSPIELER-SONY-PS-X9-ps-x9-mit-XL-55-Pro-/391288715407?hash=item5b1a9ff88f:g:cEIAAOSwPhdVTQ4P

lindsayt said:
Friendly Ghost.

Go check that PL 590 out to make sure it's all still working fine and that it sounds as fantastic as it should.

Assuming it does, haggle the price down a bit and buy it.

Pioneeer made the joint best ever turntables. The 590 was just a rung or two down the range from the Exclusive P3. http://www.thevintageknob.org/pioneer-PLC-590.html

That 590 will sound better than anything ever produced by Origin Live, Michell and Roksan. All of which are relatively small companies compared to what Pioneer were when they made the 590. Which shows in the sophistication of the engineering underpinning the 590.

Al ears, seeing as you'd never even heard of a 590 before it was mentioned in this thread, what makes you think you're qualified to advise anyone to avoid it? Are you aware of the Dunning Kruger syndrome?

Never heard of that either and I assume you have heard one if you so loudly state it is better than some well known decks.

If you have indeed heard one then I bow to your greater knowledge. If you have not actually heard, or indeed, owned one then your post is just about as valid as mine.

I still consider my advice to be sound when it come to buying turntables. particularly old ones, on spec. Unless you happen to be a turntable mechanic.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
No I've not heard a PL 590. I have however heard a number of upper end of the product range direct drive turntables, including one from Pioneer that was a step down in the product range from the 590.

And I do know someone whose judgement on hi-fi equipment I trust totally who has heard a 590. He says it's good. So that's good enough for me. You should hear what he says about Origin Live, Roksan, Michell!

I have also heard the top of the range turntables from Roksan and Michell.

I do also own a high end direct drive turntable.

Al ears, do you know of any figures, specifications, statistics on the servicing and repairing costs of the Pioneer 590 turntable? Or of upper end direct drive turntables in general? Do you even have any anecdotal evidence on this subject?

Do you understand the engineering principles behind direct turnables like the 590? And therefore based on that, what their reliability and longevity is likely to be?

Regards,

Lindsay. B Eng, M Phil.

lindsayt said:
No I've not heard a PL 590. I have however heard a number of upper end of the product range direct drive turntables, including one from Pioneer that was a step down in the product range from the 590.

And I do know someone whose judgement on hi-fi equipment I trust totally who has heard a 590. He says it's good. So that's good enough for me. You should hear what he says about Origin Live, Roksan, Michell!

I have also heard the top of the range turntables from Roksan and Michell.

I do also own a high end direct drive turntable.

Al ears, do you know of any figures, specifications, statistics on the servicing and repairing costs of the Pioneer 590 turntable? Or of upper end direct drive turntables in general? Do you even have any anecdotal evidence on this subject?

Do you understand the engineering principles behind direct turnables like the 590? And therefore based on that, what their reliability and longevity is likely to be?

Regards,

Lindsay. B Eng, M Phil.

I understand principles very well indeed but without attempting to get into a slanging match I would advise anyone looking to purchase a turntable as rare as these to look into the availability of spares and a reliable repairer before they considering purchase, and i am referring to any turntable of this vintage.

They will all break eventually :)

B.Sc, PhD..

TRENDING THREADS