Another first turntable thread (promise ive searched and read the others!)

Scott90

Jan 24, 2016
Visit site
Hoping to get some advice with regards to which turntable to buy. I dont really want to spend more than £350.

I realise im not going to get a lot of turntable for that price however from what i have read on here it seems possible to get something decent enough for the casual listener.

My current speaker and amp setup is a pair of QAcoustics2050 and a Marantz PM6005

While i dont want to spend over 350 initially i do like the idea of being able to upgrade as i go along so i would appreciate reccomendations of decks with upgrade potential.

From what ive read people tend to reccomend Project Debut Carbon or Rega. WHat others are worth considering? Or are these reccomended so often for a reason?

Greatly appreciate any advice

Thanks!

Scott90

Jan 24, 2016
Visit site
I guess the next question is then between the Rega and Project decks in this price range which has the most upgrade potential?

I wouldn't go any further than a cartridge upgrade on these turntables,anything extra would be better put to a better turntable in the future.But after a good cart is added you might not feel the need for that upgrade as it is such a worthwhile addition to even the most humble of turntables (crossley excluded).lol.

Mark Rose-Smith said:
I wouldn't go any further than a cartridge upgrade on these turntables,anything extra would be better put to a better turntable in the future.But after a good cart is added you might not feel the need for that upgrade as it is such a worthwhile addition to even the most humble of turntables (crossley excluded).lol.

+1 on this comment, apart from the mention of Cr***ly.

Although I like the Projects perhaps the Rega is easier to upgrade. As stated, however, it's often better to sell it as a going concern and buying a more expensive deck if you are wanting viable improvements.

Likewise it might be an idea to try and purchase a turntable without the basic cartridge fitted and spend a little more on an upgraded model.

Scott90

Jan 24, 2016
Visit site
Okay thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

It seems im now faced with the following options:

Project Debut Carbon -£325 - buy and use as is with a view to uprading cartridge in the future

Rega RP1 - £225 + new cart up to ~£100

Cheaper Project deck such as Essential for £210 + new cart as with Rega RP1

I'd really like to get an RP3 but its just a touch too expensive at this time!

I realise im probably splitting hairs and the difference between TT's at this price range is barely audible but i like to think im getting the best bang for my buck!

What would you guys opt for out of the above? And could you reccomend a suitable cart upgrade if that proves to be the best route?

Thanks a lot!

Scott90 said:

Project Debut Carbon -£325 - buy and use as is with a view to uprading cartridge in the future

I realise im probably splitting hairs and the difference between TT's at this price range is barely audible but i like to think im getting the best bang for my buck!

What would you guys opt for out of the above? And could you reccomend a suitable cart upgrade if that proves to be the best route?

Thanks a lot!

I'd get the most expensive complete turntable you can afford now, the Project.

In the future you might look at upgrading the cartridge to something like the Shure M97xE or the Audio Technica AT440 mob.

D

Deleted member 108165

Scott90 said:

Thanks a lot!

Project Debut Carbon or Rega RP1 performance pack... take your pick. The Project has an easy cartridge upgrade path as it's fitted with the Ortofon Red so will only require a stylus swap and not a new cartridge... 2M Blue is rather good.

iMark

DougK said:
Project Debut Carbon or Rega RP1 performance pack... take your pick. The Project has an easy cartridge upgrade path as it's fitted with the Ortofon Red so will only require a stylus swap and not a new cartridge... 2M Blue is rather good.

I think the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit is really good value for money. I know it's 100 more than the regular Debut Carbon DC, but the built-in speedbox is a great asset, especially if you play the occasional 45 rpm disc. I really like the acrylic platter on our Pro-Ject.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I've never had chance to hear one myself, but they are extremely highly rated and so, if you can afford it, I'd go for the Pro-ject Debut Carbon rather than a Rega at £100 less. Then enjoy your new deck and cartridge, which should delight you for a long time, and at the same time save up your groats. Then, when it's time to change the cartridge in a year or two (depending on how much you use the turntable), get something a bit flasher like an Nagaoka MP-150 (other cartridges are available).

These other fellows giving advice are a lot more knowledgeable than me, by the way.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts