Tri-Amplification Active Speakers - Floorstanders

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
On one of those wild goose chases on internet about active speakers, I came across a review about the ATC SCM50ASLT active version. The site I read the review from is called stereomojo.com (I think another thread is needed just to talk about this site. The site talks about the value in the components and VFM but more on that later, may be)

Coming back, I was very impressed by what I read and was wondering what other options does one have if the budget is not so much like the ATC.

i found some from Adam Audio like

Adam Artist 6 - Looks too petite

Adam pencil MK3 - price at 3000 pounds a pair, I guess. So do not know how much is it worth.

Adam Coloumn

Did any one explore in this direction and what are the experiences / outcomes? Please share :)

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Plenty of people on this forum have active speakers of some description. I like mine, but will upgrade to larger speakers when the time is right (when I can afford it).

The ATCs look very nice, but expensive. I'll be taking a close look at a pair of Event Opals.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Overdose said:
Plenty of people on this forum have active speakers of some description. I like mine, but will upgrade to larger speakers when the time is right (when I can afford it).

The ATCs look very nice, but expensive. I'll be taking a close look at a pair of Event Opals.

That is right. The Wife Acceptance Factor is pretty important here (Wood Veneer generally gets accepted) as I do not have a dedicated Audio listening room. Honestly, even I like the real wood veneer finishes by myself though as priority two to SQ. I recently managed to move up (?) from Proac D2 to Tannoy Rev. DC6T (which are quite amazing for the price!). SO, Event Opals are a no go based on looks. Adam Audio fits the bill but never heard these models.

So, seeking suggestions in this direction

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
avi adm40. 2 way floorstander with inbuilt dac and pre amp. i haven't heard these but, based on the adm9.1, they should be sensational. i think it is very telling that most adm owners forget all about hifi and endless upgrades, and just get back to enjoying music. i think decent actives will give you the biggest improvement in s.q. you can get. more info here.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Craig M. said:
avi adm40. 2 way floorstander with inbuilt dac and pre amp. i haven't heard these but, based on the adm9.1, they should be sensational. i think it is very telling that most adm owners forget all about hifi and endless upgrades, and just get back to enjoying music. i think decent actives will give you the biggest improvement in s.q. you can get. more info here.

Thanks Craig M.

I think the ADM40 are to be released (for some time)? I know that there are some people on this forum who love the sound of ADM9T, unfortunately I fall into the other category. I was smitten with the ADMs since the time I was made aware of the ADM9T and did an audition only to realise that they are extremely detached from music. Yeah, they do sound clean but to me it is clinical clean and no music but only sound conveyed. I felt the same with a Marantz PM-11S1 amplifier. I do not know what it is but it is like that.

I wish I like the ADM9T sound, as that would make life so much easier / simpler / cost-effective but when you do not like something, then that is it :(

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
yeah, if you didn't like the 9.1 than i think it is probably unlikely the 40s would your boat. out of interest, how long did you demo the 9.1 for? personally, i think they need an extended home dem if they sound very different to what you have - it can take a bit of getting used to. they're a similar sort of sound to atc so wasn't a huge adjustment for me, but my cousin who owns a pair took a while to get used to them. he loves them now. :)

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Craig M. said:
yeah, if you didn't like the 9.1 than i think it is probably unlikely the 40s would your boat. out of interest, how long did you demo the 9.1 for? personally, i think they need an extended home dem if they sound very different to what you have - it can take a bit of getting used to. they're a similar sort of sound to atc so wasn't a huge adjustment for me, but my cousin who owns a pair took a while to get used to them. he loves them now. :)

Unfortunately it was not a home demo but I heard them between 1-2 hours at a dealer studio. You might be right here as the sound might need some getting used to as they DO have some strengths including lesser boxes, great clarity etc. Let me see if I can get a home trial.

I am more into set ups which when you hear, even passing by, makes you stop and listen rather than plan out a session of few hours to listen to. This might be too shallow and non audiophile but that is what I like !

T

the record spot

Try out some Linns as well - several of their floorstanders are active (they usually add in an Aktiv module I think). Price-wise, think you're looking at Meridian active pricing for the top end models (i.e. lots!).
small-logo.png

TRENDING THREADS