TrevC

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

TrevC

keeper of the quays said:
One of the reasons I like this particular thread is I can contribute something.i do hifi and I can comment on the kit I have owned and still own but I can only say I think my speakers etc sound very good so often before I bore myself..and everyone else! I think this thread has merit because of the breadth of views? The major mentioned his wife's views on religion and then talked about aliens..this is interesting in itself as does believing in god preclude the existence of extra terrestrials? I myself have seem a ufo..years ago..it buzzed a satellite! And I must say that the posters to this thread have been giving quite considered responses on the whole...so it's not a lot of hotheads yelling! Mature discussion? I think so..so if I'm not being very grown up? I then wonder what being grown up is then?

Weird why someone would want to close a conversation down so badly they would join a forum to do so. I suspect religious fundamentalism at work. They are all control freaks. Look at the so called pro-life brigade, those that aren't content with simply avoiding having something they don't want but insist on trying to impose their opinion on women that may have a perfectly good reason to disagree.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
possum said:
I've only registered to post this.?

Now that is sad.
[/
quote]
I don't necessarily think it was sad, of all things spirituality is about as personal as it can get, and people can have very strong feelings. But this is predominantly a hifi forum and maybe a waste of time to register to debate religion here. But all oponions are welcome, as long as noone is harmed in any way. I owe Trev an apology too for getting up tight without realising it, whilst at the same time telling him not to get so uptight. So sorry there. Thats two apologies ive had to make ina week! Its all a learning process I guess.

TrevC

radiorog said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
possum said:
I've only registered to post this.

Now that is sad.

[/ quote] I don't necessarily think it was sad, of all things spirituality is about as personal as it can get, and people can have very strong feelings. But this is predominantly a hifi forum and maybe a waste of time to register to debate religion here. But all oponions are welcome, as long as noone is harmed in any way. I owe Trev an apology too for getting up tight without realising it, whilst at the same time telling him not to get so uptight. So sorry there. Thats two apologies ive had to make ina week! Its all a learning process I guess.

I'm not uptight, and no apology is necessary. :O)

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Shame threads like this cannot be locked to digitally entomb those who have posted in them, condemning those trapped inside to an eternity of bickering. A bit like Tron only even more pointless.

TrevC

Gazzip said:
Shame threads like this cannot be locked to digitally entomb those who have posted in them, condemning those trapped inside to an eternity of bickering. A bit like Tron only even more pointless.

Shame you can't control everyone as you would wish. *boredom*

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Religion is a set of morals and beliefs. I think faith and religion is in its core positive, brings love and good energy helping in our existance, connects us to noumenon beyond our sensoric capabilities. This can be easily demonstrated even through mechanicistic methods (hormones, body language, implied meanings in communication etc.). As anything when touched by politics it becomes corrupt, vile and evil (deffinition of evil is lack of empathy). When one being decides to harm another being for its own benefits and beliefs, it lacks empathy, therefore is evil. The completely oposite is giving own sacrifice for the benefit of other beings, which is the ultimate good, highest empathy towards humanity and all living things. The symbolic form of this is Jesus. An idea, a man, a message, whatever. Jesus is religion teaching coexistance among us, therefore is something positive about religion. Vatican bank financing corrupt and greedy child diddling old men, not so much.

When religion loses its moral component is way worse than just having outdated beliefs from the bronze age. Knowledge can be outdated, but morals are essentially the same. Value life, love fellow man, be good and forgive others.

Can you be a good person without practicing religion? Yes. A good atheist believes he/she shouldn't harm other humans because it is a social contract (Rousseau). You treat me good, I treat you good. A Christian religious person believes he/she should do good in order to go to heaven. The result is the same. Should we riddicule the person thinking there is litteral heaven beyond death? Well that would be lack of empathy, mean, therefore evil. You are being a bad atheist if you riddicule religious people, which is worse than being good and believing in nonsense.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
TrevC said:
Gazzip said:

Only God can do that Trevor.

TrevC

Gazzip said:
TrevC said:
Gazzip said:

Only God can do that Trevor.

He could at one time, but not any more. No longer enough gullible and compliant slaves.

TrevC

Vladimir said:
A good atheist believes he/she shouldn't harm other humans because it is a social contract (Rousseau). You treat me good, I treat you good. A Christian religious person believes he/she should do good in order to go to heaven. The result is the same.

In fact nobody gets moral values from religion, the morals in religion merely reflect the moral standards of the societies that spawned them. To behave well just so you get rewarded and don't get tortured in eternal fire at the behest of Jesus is akin to the morality of a criminal that only doesn't offend because he is under surveillance from the police. The hordes that killed innocent women as witches were only obeying the word of God.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
TrevC said:
In fact nobody gets moral values from religion, the morals in religion merely reflect the moral standards of the societies that spawned them. To behave well just so you get rewarded and don't get tortured in eternal fire at the behest of Jesus is akin to the morality of a criminal that only doesn't offend because he is under surveillance from the police. The hordes that killed innocent women as witches were only obeying the word of God.

I agree, but I don't see it with disgust. It is form of social regulation of individual behavior, a set of morals and values that reflects society and enforces it (it's cyclical). It was also a system of knowledge. A religious society is not neccesarily ignorant and barbaric one. Example is Al-Khwarizmi and the House of Wisdom in Baghdad.

In a secular state there is no 'imaginery man' threatening hell. The judge and executioner is the secular state, which will strip you of your freedom, resources and in some instances, your life. Cameras, wiretapping, spies and actual police is used. We live in fear, constantly being brainwashed, indoctrinated and controlled. Signs, warning and alerts everywhere, controlling everything we think and do. World wars, proxy wars, civil wars, wars on 'terrorism', war on drugs... The sense of security in Western society is security theater that often fails. It's not that great as it seems, just another stepping stone in history. Leap out of the post-modernist trap Trev and relax your anti-theist puffy chest.

K

keeper of the quays

Seems to me on this forum, there is a miscellaneous section and a agony aunt too! Think chatting about religion is ok? It has equal merit to tedious hoofing about moving magnet cartridges! By 'patronising Expensive turntable types' in my humble opinion..

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Seems to me on this forum, there is a miscellaneous section and a agony aunt too! Think chatting about religion is ok? It has equal merit to tedious hoofing about moving magnet cartridges! By 'patronising Expensive turntable types' in my humble opinion..

Oy, I have a turntable!!

K

keeper of the quays

Gazzip said:
pointless bickering? Can't say I noticed..i still think it's a cool thread..mr Vlad has been voluminous in his utterances..im learning things I didn't know before..you may think this is pointless but that's just your opinion...i disagree!

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Freddy58 said:

Oy, I have a turntable!!
so have I...

Ahh, so you're "patronising"?

K

keeper of the quays

Freddy58 said:

?

Oy, I have a turntable!!
so have I...analogy being this..someone said we shouldn't discuss religion on this forum..i indicated there's sections here where all sorts of things are discussed..point I made is talking about turntables and talking about religion have equal merit..if this forum didn't have these other sections? Fair enough! But they do..so it's ok..

K

keeper of the quays

I'm not patronising..im a fan of vinyl and would encourage it...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts