Totem Dreamcatcher dilemma

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
I am looking for speakers to replace my Epos ES14 pair which are around 20 years old and too large for my room. Thanks to another thread I have narrowed down my selection but now have a problem.

Two years ago I walked into a shop just to look around and was blown away by Totem Dreamcatchers; such a musically coherent sound from such a small enclosure. I am off to audition some Dynaudios next week, and am expecting good things from the DM 2/7 and Excite x12. However, those Dreamcatchers are bugging me. There are very few dealers, and none near me in Cambridgeshire. Getting to hear them will be an issue.

Has anybody heard Dreamcatchers compared to Dynaudio? I want tight base control, detailed presentation and a laid back effortless style. Is it worth trying to hear some or will the Dynaudios trump them?

Nick

Arcam CD73, Naim 62/90 combo, Nac A4 cables and Epos ES14

No, haven't heard the Dreamcatchers but...

When I auditioned the Arros the stereo imaging, timing and shear musicality blew me away. From what I've read and heard about ALL Totems is they major in these areas.

If, on the other hand, you like to scrutinise every note of every track then others may appeal more. But if just sitting back and letting the music flow over you is your scene, then the Totems are hard to better. They are a complete hoot. Wicked.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
drummerman said:
Totem = very expensive for small, veneered particle board boxes

regards

So you've heard them then, or you just judge all hi-fi equipment by the total cost of the components that make up the kit?
Preferences§1234567890-=BackspaceTabqwertyuiop[]Returncapslockasdfghjkl;'shift`zxcvbnm,./shiftEnglishDeutschEspañolFrançaisItalianoPortuguêsРусскийaltaltPreferences

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
ID. said:
drummerman said:
Totem = very expensive for small, veneered particle board boxes

regards

So you've heard them then, or you just judge all hi-fi equipment by the total cost of the components that make up the kit?
Preferences§1234567890-=BackspaceTabqwertyuiop[]Returncapslockasdfghjkl;'shift`zxcvbnm,./shiftEnglishDeutschEspañolFrançaisItalianoPortuguêsРусскийaltaltPreferences

Movement Audio Poole, official Totem carrier/dealer.

Still very expensive, particle board, veneered boxes ... and yes, ... I do judge 'components' by how much they cost.

regards

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Perhaps try and listen to Ushers S520 if you can find a dealer. That will give some idea of what is possible for far less money. It's where my money would go for a small speaker.

regards

drummerman said:
Perhaps try and listen to Ushers S520 if you can find a dealer. That will give some idea of what is possible for far less money. It's where my money would go for a small speaker.

regards

Good speakers but they are easily beaten by PMC DB1is. For me Totem Arros are better than DBs, and yes, I have had Arros and blagged some DB1s on home dem at the same time.

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
I guess that for every price point there will be examples of speakers that for a bit more cash will offer more performance. The PMCs are not double the Dreamcatchers but are almost there. I will trust my ears and buy when I hear something that I regard as special. My ears are probably not giving me a flat response anymore and so a speaker that sounds bright to someone else might be perfect for me.

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Got a pair of Dreamcatchers and they are every bit as good as I remember. I am surprised that they prefer the Chord Carnival to my feisty NAC A4 cables. They sound much more open and laid-back, with more detailing than I had expected. Bass is pretty impressive for such a tiny box. Sat here swapping in and out of my favourite CDs with an ever growing grin.

Don't know if I am allowed to name check David at Frank Harveys but he has pulled a rabbit out of the hat for me.

Nick

NJB said:
Got a pair of Dreamcatchers and they are every bit as good as I remember. I am surprised that they prefer the Chord Carnival to my feisty NAC A4 cables. They sound much more open and laid-back, with more detailing than I had expected. Bass is pretty impressive for such a tiny box. Sat here swapping in and out of my favourite CDs with an ever growing grin.

Don't know if I am allowed to name check David at Frank Harveys but he has pulled a rabbit out of the hat for me.

Nick

Well done. Enjoy the music! :)

stevebrock said:
Nice one, on home demo or have you bought them?

I bet they would go nice with a UnitiQute in my kitchen........ (I wish!)

Sure you would love'em. Shame they're not more popular... like you with Rega, I'm hideously biased towards Totem. Certainly the Arros just blew me away.

BTW, Totem and Rega seems to be a good match also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoRUMpZAHzQ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts