Speakers to Replace Epos ES14 in a Naim system

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I started enjoying hifi in the late 80s, I quickly went through a succession of systems, before settling on a Naim 62/90 combination with Epos ES14 speakers. The front end finally settled at an Arcam CD73T in the early noughties.

Much has happened since then, and the hifi has spent much of it in boxes around the house. However, it has been out for the past year and I am getting back into it. The NAP90 has been replaced by a NAP 150X and I have been through a bit of a speaker saga.

The ES14s are still around, but one has a small resonance and I suspect that their age is beginning to tell. I tried a pair of Totem Dreamcatchers, which were pleasant for a while, but are now part of my 5.1 AV set-up. A mate gave me some Wharfedale Pacific Evo 30s, which had more bass, but lacked something. I found some Dynaudio Excite X12s is a sale for a silly price, and they are interesting, in an excitable puppy kind of way; dynamic, great mid-range but a bit bass shy. So, I keep going back to the ES14s.

The elephant in the room is that the ES14s are not a long term option and, having had one repaired already, whatever I do with them (repair, buy another set for donor parts etc) will only last so long. Therefore, if you had my amplifier set-up and 1500 quid, what would you buy to replace the ES14s. Floorstander or standmount, it does not matter, but I like the ES14 style sound and wonder where I should start my auditioning.

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Al Ears,

I was not expecting a recommendation of a new Epos. They do not seem to get much in the way of superlatives, most reviews put them as middle ground pluggers. I have been working my way through Spendor, PMC and ATC reviews, thinking that I might pick something up second hand for my budget. However, I am happy to take advice on the K2.

Nick

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
The Focal Aria 905.

Heard these at the Bristol show the weekend. Not ideal conditions but they produced a very good sound with Naim kit.

Suspect they will excel in a home properly set up.

Or Herberth mini monitors - deceptively large sounding small boxes.

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
The Focal Aria 905.

Heard these at the Bristol show the weekend. Not ideal conditions but they produced a very good sound with Naim kit.

Suspect they will excel in a home properly set up.

Or Herberth mini monitors - deceptively large sounding small boxes.

A local cal dealer is doing a close out deal on some older Focal speakers. I know that the latest 900 range with its flax cones is getting a lot of attention, nothing like a bit of novelty to get people talking, but the older speakers have very few reviews about but also seem well liked. I can get a set of 714s for decent money and am currently negotiating a demo. This might be tough as I don't speak the language very well and the company appears to be a box shifting setup rather than a true hifi shop. Wish me luck!

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
Used pair of ProAc D18? ;)

Heard a pair of D18's on the end of a Denon receiver playing country music. Really gave the music body.

Amazing speakers - I'm staggered you found something better.

Er.... How much?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
NJB said:
A local cal dealer is doing a close out deal on some older Focal speakers. I know that the latest 900 range with its flax cones is getting a lot of attention, nothing like a bit of novelty to get people talking, but the older speakers have very few reviews about but also seem well liked. I can get a set of 714s for decent money and am currently negotiating a demo. This might be tough as I don't speak the language very well and the company appears to be a box shifting setup rather than a true hifi shop. Wish me luck!

A demo is a must....I really don't get on with Naim/Focal at any price level. I found them harsh and boxy sounding.

I would be looking at Neat, Kef R Series, Epos and Kudos

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
NJB said:

A demo is a must....I really don't get on with Naim/Focal at any price level. I found them harsh and boxy sounding.

I would be looking at Neat, Kef R Series, Epos and Kudos

When you say Epos, you talking about their current fare? I think I have found a local(ish) dealer for them and am tempted to visit if the journey is going to be worth it. I have done some reading into their K2 and it looks interesting although there are not many reviews around for it.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I was thinking of the Epic 5, which I now see is no more.

FWIW. If you like Epos, it may well be worth demoing their current range....especially if you don't hear anything you like closer to you.

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
CNo, thanks. I am in Switzerland and it is hard to track down the variety of hifi that the UK enjoys. There are many small companies that sell a handful of brands, but many of these are not familiar to me. There are plenty of Elac, Canton etc and they are all glossy and shiny, but where would I start with the auditioning? Therefore, I am relying on the UK experts and looking for brands that I feel safe with. Oh, and some of the pricing is stupidly high too, which grates a bit.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
You should audition local brands before getting embroiled in imports.

Cantan are well know. Elac never heard of them. But have a listen with your kit if you can.

Spent on focal speakers will get you a lot of speaker for your money. I have the 826v, but you could possibly pick up the 826vw for around a grand. Or the 30th anniversary model for a touch more.

Ive found the focal sound to be absolutely perfect.

I think people just assume they will be bright as they have metal tweeters, but they are not bright at all.

Give them a go, I'm sure you'll enjoy them.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
[quote?=bigfish786]
Spent on focal speakers will get you a lot of speaker for your money. I have the 826v, but you could possibly pick up the 826vw for around a grand. Or the 30th anniversary model for a touch more.?

Ive found the focal sound to be absolutely perfect.?

I think people just assume they will be bright as they have metal tweeters, but they are not bright at all.?

Give them a go, I'm sure you'll enjoy them.
[/quote]

I was impressed when I heard the 905 with Niam kit.

rainsoothe

Martin Logan Motion 40 or 20. I'm using the 40 with my Supernait 2, and it sounds lovely. Bass is muscular and controlled (although sometimes it does become a bit overpowering because I can't move them further then 50 cm from the rear wall / corner). Rich and detailed mids. Detailed highs, ribbon tweeter, never sounding harsh. I love 'em, you should really give these a try - they destroyed Focals and bettered Proac (for my taste at least) :). Other VERY GOOD alternatives to consider should be ATC SCM 19 or 11, Sonus Faber Toy Tower, Neat Motive SX2.

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
I have a pair of Epos K2 on home demo. I have tried to like them, but need to have a total rethink. I want the transparency of the ES14s with a little extra bass. For me, the K2 is just too heavy. My room is a bit small for them and thus I suspect that many floorstanders will prove to be the same.

So, it is back to stand mounts. I need to see the Focal 906, and will start looking again.

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
K2s are big speakers, in a small room the may well sound fat and heavy, any chance of trying the K1 standmounts?

I could not get the K2 placed to avoid booming and the treble just shrunk away into the background. The K1 has few reviews, have you heard them? I am familiar with Dynaudio, having had a pair of Excite X12s, which are with a mate at the moment. I am looking for transparency, smooth treble and a bit of bass kick but am not able to judge if the K1 will give me that.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
NJB said:
davedotco said:
K2s are big speakers, in a small room the may well sound fat and heavy, any chance of trying the K1 standmounts?

I could not get the K2 placed to avoid booming and the treble just shrunk away into the background. The K1 has few reviews, have you heard them? I am familiar with Dynaudio, having had a pair of Excite X12s, which are with a mate at the moment. I am looking for transparency, smooth treble and a bit of bass kick but am not able to judge if the K1 will give me that.

You have to try them.

The K2s are not normally boomy which suggests your room is adding to the problems, the smaller K1s with a bit of room gain should give ample bass.

My impression of the K1 is that it is one of the more competent sub £500 speakers (uk pricing) but it is quite explicit and requires decent amplification, which I think you have. If you have an Epos dealer prepared to let you try stuff, they would be top of my list.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
You say you have access to Elac. I'm not sure how the prices would compute in Switzerland, so I wouldn't be able to suggest a model that fits your budget. I've heard a couple of the 300 range. They're very fine speakers. The JET AMT tweeters are superb.

Give them a listen. They might not be to your taste. But nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Matt

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
The Epos K1 and K2 speakers will soon have the ability to be easily converted to full active operation. (Creek power modules + filters maybe?)

You know this is Creek we are talking about here, right?

Seriously though, these are as far as I know, the only affordable speakers that are to have a simple conversion to fully active mode. Naturally it appeals to me immensely.

I have heard the K1s driven by a Creek 50a and thought they were pretty decent, a fully active configuration sounds great in theory. A lot will depend on the pricing of the active upgrade.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts