If I upgrade, where should I start?

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
So, got a bit to spare and looking at my hifi and wondering where to start. It sounds good, but parts are getting old. Likes and dislikes are as follows:

Arcam CD73T. Still punches well, but now around 10 years old and CD technology has probably moved on faster than many other areas.

Naim NAC72 and NAP90 combo. Very old, 25 years I reckon. Can remember their audition very well. Still love that effortless, solid, punchy sound, very Naim. But, old, few clicks and pops now and then. Was advised that even modern integrated amps, at sensible money, will not hold a candle to even my old pre and power setup.

Totem Dreamcatchers. Using these at the moment, but have a set of Epos ES14s for when I want a change. Love the Dreamcatchers. Lack seismic bass, but they are so tight and balanced that they just put a smile on my face. Epos are just as awesome but in a different way, go well with the Naim kit, bit more clinical than the Dreamcatchers. With Totem I hear the music, with Epos I hear the hifi - if that makes sense.

Where do I start?

T

the record spot

You might be surprised about CD technology...! That CD73T will likely still be fine, you could add an offboard DAC if you wanted but seeing as I use a Marantz player that is currently around 20 years old and have tried a few others out of differing vintage, your Arcam is still relevant. You may want to consider a good universal player however, and these have been going great guns for a few years now (probably since the likes of Denon's DVD3930 which was one of the few players to bring DVD, SACD, HDCD, CD and DVD-A under the one roof back in 2007). Nowadays you can throw in Blu-ray to the equation of course and there are a good few options there. Even £100 will deliver you something that'll comfortably challenge your 73T for CD playback.

Speakers are fine I think, I never worry about a lack of bass as long as the bass that is there is well defined without necessarily being floor shaking. The midrange is where the music is at anyway, so ally that to a nice but not too sharp treble and your Totems will no doubt serve you well for years to come.

No idea about the Naim gear but I doubt it's suddenly become bad overnight. As an off the wall suggestion, have a look at the likes of Onkyo's TX-NR616 or better. I think they deliver some great sounding gear, it's well specced, most importantly sounds excellent and while it's a 7.1 amp, you'll find that you can bi-amp your speakers, get network connectivity and 4k upscaling. Most importantly, if you like the idea of hearing HD soundtracks or music, then these amps are the way to go as stereo integrateds don't offer this. Don't be put off by the notion of an AV amp either, they have come on leaps and bounds in recent years.

Pete68

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I have read posts on here lately by people who are spending huge amounts on gear and still seem unable to enjoy the music. You said the system brings a smile to your face so just get it professionally serviced and enjoy.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Maybe get the Naim amps serviced?

If they have done you well for 25 years why change?

Something similar could cost well over £1000.00

Edit: 12Designs beat me to it!

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Thanks guys. A Naim service is not cheap, and it looks like I can get recently serviced units on eBay for a similar price. But, I have had my units for a long time and they do feel a bit like they are part of the family now.

Great advice, much appreciated.

TRENDING THREADS