Naim and Dynaudio X12 - Harsh Treble Problem

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
To be honest, I am not going to get to the bottom of the changes without a circuit diagram and some test gear. However, I am very surprised at how significant the improvement is. The most noticeable thing is that the treble is much, much, sweeter than before. I am running the little Dynaudio Excite X12s at the moment and they are sounding better than they ever have, and to think I was trying to replace them last weekend. I cannot get away from the suspicion that something in the NAC62 has aged and the biasing is all out. I might get it over to Mark Slade and see if he can give it the once over. I have had it for 20 odd years, some of them spent in cupboards and so the fact that it works at all says something about its bulletproof build.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
davedotco said:
NJB said:
CnoEvil said:
IME. Old Naim amps (I had 42/110) worked well in the systems of their day...in particular Linn Sondek and speakers like your Epos and my Monitor Audio 852.

The Linn had a mid range bloom and the speakers of that time were not (in general) as forward, clean and deailed as the offerings of today.....this all seemed to keep things in balance (soundwise).

Putting old Naim Amps into modern systems can give you the sound that you describe.

I think you may have to get "old school" sounding speakers (SF/Harbeth/Spendor Classic), or replace the Amps with something like Pathos.

My Naim stays, it is a speaker search for me. I am trying to arrange an audition for the Epos K2 as I have been recommended to try them. Thanks for the advice.

It's your system, your money and your choice. This is my view.

Looking at new speakers without sorting out the issues 'upstream' would be an error in my experience. Better, more revealing, modern speakers will simply give you a clearer look at what is happening and if it turns out to be a mismatch in terms of the player/pre-amp and the system gain, it will just get worse.

I know it is not fashionable to say this, but better speakers does not automatically mean a better sound, system building is about the system something that is very much downplayed these days. If there is any way you can try a less sensitive, more up to date pre/amp, I urge you to do so before parting with any cash.

+1

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
NJB said:
To be honest, I am not going to get to the bottom of the changes without a circuit diagram and some test gear. However, I am very surprised at how significant the improvement is. The most noticeable thing is that the treble is much, much, sweeter than before. I am running the little Dynaudio Excite X12s at the moment and they are sounding better than they ever have, and to think I was trying to replace them last weekend. I cannot get away from the suspicion that something in the NAC62 has aged and the biasing is all out. I might get it over to Mark Slade and see if he can give it the once over. I have had it for 20 odd years, some of them spent in cupboards and so the fact that it works at all says something about its bulletproof build.

Have the '62 checked out by all means but I can not think how it could deteriorate in the way you descibe, with age.

It sounds very much like an improved headroom scenario, when you have a good 'handle' on what is happening, take the Teddycap out of the system and see what happens. If you have any way of measuring the output, it would be interesting to know if the volume settings have actually changed.

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
NJB said:

Have the '62 checked out by all means but I can not think how it could deteriorate in the way you descibe, with age.

It sounds very much like an improved headroom scenario, when you have a good 'handle' on what is happening, take the Teddycap out of the system and see what happens. If you have any way of measuring the output, it would be interesting to know if the volume settings have actually changed.

I picked up the NAC202 this afternoon, looks as good as new and came with all the associated blanking plugs, remote, instructions etc. It is an early one, but the price was good and everything works well. I am going to take some time to enjoy the music. I have tried both the Excite X12s and my faithful old ES14s. Quite different presentations, but both enjoyable. I can't complain, I am lucky to have two sets to play around with.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts