Can I replace my EPOS ES14s

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
I love my setup, even though it is quite old. My newest item is an Arcam CD73, but the Naim 62/90 pre/power combination and Epos ES14s are all about 25 year old. But, I love the sound, full, expansive and detailed. My wife, however, thinks the ES14s are huge and ugly. We have moved to a new house and they do dominate the room somewhat, Anybody prepared to recommend an alternative. I have been told that Epos speakers all have a distinctive sound, and that I should look towards another in their range. A HiFi shop that I went to suggested Naims own speakers, or even Totem Dreamcatchers - but reviews are hard to find. Anybody have any thoughts?

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I bought an immaculate pair of bi wirable es14s(pre-owned as people now like to say) a few months ago with stands and quality biwire cable for a 100£. I would really like to know what might be appreciably better than them. They have improved the sound quality of my system no end.

I wouldn't class them as big and ugly

A

Anonymous

NJB:I love the sound, full, expansive and detailed...I have been told that Epos speakers all have a distinctive sound, and that I should look towards another in their range

The Epos standmounts do tend to have a distinctive sound, detailed certainly, expansive arguably, but I wouldn't call it full. Lean and blisteringly fast would be more like it. I wonder if the newer models have a different style to the older kit? Definitely worth an audition.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I would certainly like to know what cd and particularly integrated amp would suit them. I have older denon and marantz cd players in use with older rega brio and pioneer A400 integrated amps. It all sounds very good to me. I enjoy a wide variety of music through these components.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The Epos range was designed around Naim amplification, so they won't sound much better than with the older style (pre mid 90's ).

My advice for the OP would be to keep the amplification, pick up a matching Hi-Cap and buy a Naim CD player. The Epos just get better and better along with the Naim systems.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts