Total novice advice!!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Help! Having just managed to persuade my wife that we need a new hifi separates package, I am now floundering in the sea of possibilities! I don't even know where to begin? I would like to develop a quality system over time, but budget dictates a basic start point of cd player, amp and speakers. First question: which, if any, is the most important part of that trio? Is it better to spread the cash over all three equally, or should I spend more on a quality cd player for example? Second question: is all this possible with a limited budget of £500? Any help or advice anyone feels they can give, remembering I am a total novice, will be gratefully received.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="nicks"]
Help! Having just managed to persuade my wife that we need a new hifi separates package, I am now floundering in the sea of possibilities! I don't even know where to begin? I would like to develop a quality system over time, but budget dictates a basic start point of cd player, amp and speakers. First question: which, if any, is the most important part of that trio? Is it better to spread the cash over all three equally, or should I spend more on a quality cd player for example? Second question: is all this possible with a limited budget of £500? Any help or advice anyone feels they can give, remembering I am a total novice, will be gratefully received.
[/quote]

Definately possible with a budget of £500 but you'd have to get 2nd hand id say

Ebay is your friend!

It also depends on what music you listen too as well.

If it were me, i'd personally look at an Arcam Alpha 7 or 8 integrated amp along with an Arcam Alpha 6, 7, or 8 CD player (preferably with remote as this will control the amp as well) and either B&W 601 S2 or S3, 602 S2 or S3 speakers or Acoustic Energy AE 100 standmount speakers or, if you can get them a t a good enough price, the Acoustic Energy AE109 floorstanders (theyre superb speakers, will suit the Arcam amp/CD combo very well and you can usually get them for less than £100).

If youre going to look at standmount speakers id suggest either the Atacama Nexus 5 or 6 stands or the Atacama SE20 or SE24 speaker stands

As for cable maybe look at QED speakers cable and QED Quenex 1 or 2 interconnects.

With regards to Ebay, there are some very good bargains to be got, just make sure the seller knows what he's selling and that it's in mint condition!

NAD C320BEE amp and a NAD CD player may be worth looking at too.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi there.

Yes, you can build a decent separates hi-fi for £500 - one that'll sound miles better than the one-box equivalent.

We'd typically recommend not scrimping on the source, or at least keeping it even with the other components.

If you want to buy new, then you could buy a Cambridge Audio Azur 340A amp and matching 340C CD player for £150 each, then add Mordaunt Short Avant 902i (if you like an exciting sound) or Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 (a more mature listen) speakers for a further £150. That's £450 list price - sure you could get it down with haggling/getting a package deal.

And don't forget the essential extras - which you could also haggle on.
For example, Soundstyle Z2/Mission Stancette speaker stands (£60), a Chord Crimson interconnect (£38) and some QED Silver Anniversary XT speaker cable (£5.50/m). Target do some good budget racks if you're in need, too - at least make sure your separates are isolated from each other/the surface they're standing on to minimise noise-effecting vibrations. Even halved squash-balls can do the trick...

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
It Is possible mate...At this entry level set up it best to spend about equal amount on each component...Your first choice should be Richer sounds check out their website they have some great deals on cambridge audio gear if you but a cd player and amp they will give you a set of speakers worth 150 pund all this for 499 so thats a bargan and they are all what hi-fi 5 star winners so you will be very pleased. Your second choice is the excellent NAD range wich i personaly went for their new budget amp and cd start at around 180 each and are star performers... And finally their is E bay you can pick up some bargains but as always with second hand you have to be carefull....Hope this helps mate..

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I'd still say check Ebay out for good 2nd hand seperates

You'll be able to get better seperates 2nd hand off there than go for new from Richer Sounds.

A

Anonymous

i would pretty much agree with Clare.Although as dan1979 said e bay could be good but be VERY careful. I would suggest a different speaker cable to Clare though. The DNM reson mk2 cable is way better than qed silver anniversary.It used to be £7.95 p/m but you can get it for £6 now. If you had qed and tried the dnm in a direct comparison, the qed would be surplus to requirements. Now the dnm is £6p/m it is in direct competition with the qed ,and knocks the qed into a cocked hat.

A

Anonymous

superfi are doing a marantz cd/ amp and q acoustics floorstanders package for about £500...

A

Anonymous

Thanks to everybody for their help. I am amazed at the huge amount of info and hardware there is out there! I think I have narrowed it down to NAD, Cambridge Audio or Marantz. Denon have been recommended but don't do too well in the reviews in the mag! Is it now really down to personal preference?

nads

[quote user="nicks"]
Is it now really down to personal preference?
[/quote] very much so as the combos willall sound different and will also sound different when connected to different speakers.

Now go and listen for the sound that you want and then arrange to have a listen with your music.

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="nads"][quote user="nicks"]
Is it now really down to personal preference?
[/quote] very much so as the combos willall sound different and will also sound different when connected to different speakers.

Now go and listen for the sound that you want and then arrange to have a listen with your music.[/quote]

I agree with nads on this, also as you are a total newbie, I would advise buying new from a reputable, local, dealer rather than second-hand or on the web. You should gain the ability to change things within a reasonable time after purchase if you suddenly realise that the sound you loved so much in the shop doesn't work as well at home.

A

Anonymous

A few weeks ago RS had the CA 340 Amp and CD Player with the CA S30 speakers for only £329. Right now if I was you check out their £650 CA deal with MS 902i Speakers. I think the best bargain out there right now is the NAD C515BEE CD & C315BEE AMP & TANNOY MERCURY F1 CUSTOM SPEAKERS SEPARATES SYSTEM SIZZLER. This only £350 from Super-fi. It will meet your needs perfectly. Also look at the Marantz PM4001 Amp with the Marantz CD5001 CD Player.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts