toshiba formally drop hddvd!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Nick_Shepherd

Feb 14, 2008
Visit site
QUESTION:

Will this help drop the prices of LCD / Plasma screens? Now we know the type of player to buy, there is more incentive to have a HD TV, so will prices drop or hold as demand rises??

A

Anonymous

[quote user="rbrierle"]

Oh Star Wars trilogy would probably get me shifting dust out of the wallet too
emotion-2.gif

[/quote]

That's been my 'killer app' several times before too ;) Thrice on VHS and once on DVD .. which will come first for that.. BD or Download.. Lucas has been known to chart his own route before...

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="countstex"]That's been my 'killer app' several times before too ;) Thrice on VHS and once on DVD ..[/quote]

Mmm, I have so many copies of the trilogy now, it's getting ridiculous! Still, I know if they bought it out on Blu-Ray, that would be my 6th copy!

*Edit - and then the 7th when they bought out the limited edition "Original" non mucked about with copy...

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="professorhat"][quote user="countstex"]That's been my 'killer app' several times before too ;) Thrice on VHS and once on DVD ..[/quote]

Mmm, I have so many copies of the trilogy now, it's getting ridiculous! Still, I know if they bought it out on Blu-Ray, that would be my 6th copy!

*Edit - and then the 7th when they bought out the limited edition "Original" non mucked about with copy...

[/quote]

This discussion reminds me of the excellent South Park episode, Free Hat, where the boys try and stop Lucas and Spielberg mucking about with their original films.The free preview of the episode on iTunes gives you the gist...

A

Anonymous

amazon have between 20-35% off hd dvd discs too! If i bought the e35 for £150, and got discs at 30% plus off, it'd b worth considering buying as a second unit for the bedroom (wait a bit longer and it may get cheaper still. Great picture and sound, loads of cheaper discs i wouldnt have to buy at bluray prices. Toshiba support if it goes wrong etc and when no more discs that i want to buy, i will have a good upscaling dvd player. Am i mad or does this make practical and financial sense?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
[quote user="Eddiewood"]Play.com have dropped the price of the EP30 to £80![/quote]

And Amazon has gone a few quid better- new story here
[/quote]

Ok, Ok, you're quicker, now stop rubbing it in! :)

A

Anonymous

if that's the case then the top of the range model may become a viable option.

FoxJA

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
Have a feeling that EP35 could end up sub-£100....

[/quote]

I paid £256 for mine just 2 months ago!!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="FoxJA"][quote user="Clare Newsome"]

Have a feeling that EP35 could end up sub-£100....

[/quote]

I paid £256 for mine just 2 months ago!!
[/quote]
Aye, and iI £200 for the 30.. don;t suppose there's any chance of Tosh offering us a discount on a Blu player should they make one?

Or maybe not.. just read the front page.. no Tosh Blue drives.. or so they say...

A

Anonymous

im sure that its possible to get to germany and back for under the 150 euros sony may be offering for a px for their ps3. Make a nice day out instead of t'internet or local high st shopping.

Feb 9, 2008
Visit site
As a fan of so called 'failed formats' The Drop in prices is very tempting, its payday in 10 days time, methinks i'll bite at these prices, i've long been of the opinion that Blu Ray will be a bit like SACD and never really outdo its DVD predecessor in terms of sales if all you want to do is a watch a film then the choice is easy £12 for DVD or £25 for the blu ray that'll have some more extras than the DVD - like anybody bothers with them anyway, who wants to hear someone droning on and on about how cool it was to make the movie..and.i defy anyone with eyesight like mine to spot a 1080i upscaled picture from a 1080p at 3 metres.....oops Ranting again ...dum de dum...

A

Anonymous

Yamaha have one coming too,official word from Yamaha themselves.

A

Anonymous

if you havn't seen hd then i assure you that you will see the difference even from 3m away. As for the sound, thats even more noticeable. I may wait a few weeks before going for another hd unit though and see, as claire suggests, how low the players will go.

A

Anonymous

Claire's right. There is a will to do this, but there are issues beyond the norm here. No prons with Bond. MGM will re-release these in different versions until the cows come home, but LOTR has issues with the special effects. Just look at KIng Kong or the (early) Potters on HD. The FX don't look good. Far from it.
As I undertand it, for us to enjoy a full-on HD Ring they're gonna have to go back to Weta and remake a lot of the FX. And that's expensive.

A

Anonymous

Ouch, so not just that the rendered them at a lower resolution for speed initially? If they truly created all the textures at too low a resolution for HD that is a serious blow! If they are lucky they will just need to re-render.. which would take less time today than it did at the time.

Feb 9, 2008
Visit site
I bought at £139.99 a HD ep35, and so far i'm impressed, it's the first HD Content i've had for my HD Ready set (which i bought because it took up less space, not for the HD) so far i've discovered the set can only handle 720p, so thats lead to thoughts of upgrading to something that can do 1080p, My previous DVD player output at 576i and in an A/B test the difference is notable, but not very, the sound however is definately better.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts