toshiba formally drop hddvd!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
just heard on bbc radio news that toshiba have formally announced they will "no longer support hddvd". If its to be believed then at long last the inevitable has happened. Not sure that i agree with all the sony underhand tactics or even if the best format won but at least there is now officially one format. Lets hope to see some of those ridiculously high disc and player prices drop.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Just heard? We reported it here and here HOURS ago
emotion-5.gif

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Why do people think that prices will suddenly drop. I'd have thought that when there is competition between formats then the price war takes place at that point as companies try to entice you to their product. Now that there is a single format there is not so much competition, so customers can be held to ransom with prices remaining high.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="stevee1966"]Now that there is a single format there is not so much competition, so customers can be held to ransom with prices remaining high.[/quote]

Yeah, just like happened with DVD...

emotion-18.gif

A

Anonymous

I cant see the price of players dropping any time soon from the likes of Sont, Pana and Pio. What may happen is that we see a rush of far eastern manufacturers starting to produce machines now that we are moving forward with 1 HD format. Now I still not sure that will be enough for mass market adoption, its 1 thing to put a machine on the shelf in a supermarket but another entirley to sell discs for it when they retail at anywhere upto £35 a disc. I kid you not HMV/Zavvi in store have discs at those prices.

A

Anonymous

Prices will drop because those people sitting on the fence will now make the jump into HDM. More companies will be prepared to make BD players knowing there is only on format and the most obvious reason is prices always drop on consumer electronics once the formats were adopted.

The CE companies will be fighting for your hard earned money and this will mean cheaper players. Why do people think prices will not drop or even rise. It makes no economic sense.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
They'll drop - there are so many manufacturers involved in the battle for your Blu-ray dollar (Panasonic, Philips. Samsung, LG, Sharp, Pioneer and more - and that's before the real budget boys wade in, which they will), that competition will be fierce.

Disc prices will drop, too - especially for those studios who've been hedging their bets. Now they can concentrate on Blu-ray, in the knowledge that it's a single, growing market to sell to.

It won't be instant, but it will happen - it has to if the format's going to go mainstream, which they're all depending on.

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
DVD prices dropped in the same way that any electrical product/technology price drops. Plasma tv's are cheaper than they originally were, computers are cheaper than they originally were, mp3's etc, etc.... but that's nothing to do with one format disappearing from the market.

A

Anonymous

Claire, i wasn't so daft as to think that i would beat you with the news! There may now only be bluray but there are still millions of people that do not have any hd players. They've got to entice people away from sd dvd and to do so will not be easy. Im my view, if prices must fall to entice mr or mrs joe public away from sd. Whilst a choice of £50 for sd player or £300-£1000 for bluray is acceptable for some, it isnt so justifiable for the majority no matter how much better it is.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
At the risk of playing
emotion-14.gif
's , I guess we're now going to see just how much of a public appetite there is for HD movie discs, or whether the mass-market is quite happy to stick with good old DVDs.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Some things that could make a big difference coming up (apart from falling player prices, better specs and improved choice):

Lord of the Rings trilogy on Blu-ray by Christmas.

James Bond collection remastered for Blu-ray to coincide with BD release of new Bond film March 2009.

Retailers bundling Blu-ray players with flatscreen TVs for Xmas telly stampede.

John Duncan

I suspect it will be quite high (once the price is right), since one can't get on a 281 bus without struggling past somebody who's just picked up their 42" television from John Lewis, and who'll get it home and realise that bigger is not always better (praise be), and will start to look for more HD content to go with their purchase.

A

Anonymous

Well that's that then. Time to put all my HD-DVD purchases on hold, and build myself a HTPC around a BluRay drive! One new PC Spec coming up! ;)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]

James Bond collection remastered for Blu-ray to coincide with BD release of new Bond film March 2009.

[/quote]

Are these more WHF exclusives................ or just wishful thinking?!?

You've got me all excited now!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Ketch"][quote user="Clare Newsome"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

More than wishful thinking but less than firm fact at this stage - just some conversations have been having with some movie folk....

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
[quote user="Ketch"][quote user="Clare Newsome"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

More than wishful thinking but less than firm fact at this stage - just some conversations have been having with some movie folk....
[/quote]

Very interesting!

I shall wait for the official WHF scoop with great anticipation! :)

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
At the risk of playing
emotion-14.gif
's , I guess we're now going to see just how much of a public appetite there is for HD movie discs, or whether the mass-market is quite happy to stick with good old DVDs.

[/quote]

That will be interesting. The mass market will probably be happy with buying £30 DVD players in Tesco

A

Anonymous

Suddenly my 1000 bonus Tesco Points don't seem so impressive...

A

Anonymous

Now what?.......when will prices of blu-ray players fall to affordable range for the masses and when we will get better/best machines...............

A

Anonymous

As an owner of an EP35 I'm sorry of course that HD-DVD has gone under, but glad there's a single format. Despite buying a player I was still reluctant to buy expensive discs (e.g. Planet Earth) whilst there was a format war raging.

Agree with both Andrew and Claire's comments - I'm with Andrew on scepticism (caution?) that Joe public is much interested in BD over SD - at least until players bundled with TVs become the norm.

Claire's comment's interesting as I'm likely to stay with upscaled DVD now for a bit...and the trigger for a BD player will probably be the release of LOTR on BD.

Will we ever get to the stage where BD discs outnumber SD in HMV? I still can't imagine (given the incremental improvements over SD) the BD format/delivery mechanism won't be superceded before that happens..

Oh Star Wars trilogy would probably get me shifting dust out of the wallet too
emotion-2.gif

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
[quote user="Clare Newsome"]there are so many manufacturers involved in the battle for your Blu-ray dollar (Panasonic, Philips. Samsung, LG, Sharp, Pioneer and more[/quote]

Indeed, and we've had confirmation recently from Marantz, Denon and Harman Kardon that they're developing Blu-ray players too, with more manufacturers bound to follow...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts