Tonearm cartridge combo help please guys

Dav1d

New member
Dec 17, 2015
4
0
0
Hi everyone,

After chatting with a few of you over the last days im now about to purchase a tonearm and cartridge for my new michell gyro se, Al ears has kindly said about the origin live arm onyx which is £450 is this arm the best that £450 can buy? also can someone please advise me on a moving magnet cartridge to go with this arm i have about £90 pound. Or can anyone advise me on other combos that will go with the gyro se, Im very new to all this and just need a few options to go buy.

many thanks

david

Marantz PM8005

marantz NA8005 { my equipment

tannoy XT 8F
 

Al ears

Well-known member
Dav1d said:
Hi everyone,

After chatting with a few of you over the last days im now about to purchase a tonearm and cartridge for my new michell gyro se, Al ears has kindly said about the origin live arm onyx which is £450 is this arm the best that £450 can buy? also can someone please advise me on a moving magnet cartridge to go with this arm i have about £90 pound. Or can anyone advise me on other combos that will go with the gyro se, Im very new to all this and just need a few options to go buy.

many thanks

david

Marantz PM8005

marantz NA8005 { my equipment

tannoy XT 8F

Hi Dav1d, me again.

If you don't mind me adding to this thread as well I would suggest the Shure M97xe which can be found for £79 if you're lucky. Probably best all rounder for your budget.

Another suggestion would be the Audio Technic AT120e but the cheapest I can find this is £93.
 

stevebrock

New member
Nov 13, 2009
183
0
0
For £450 probably the best arm yes, if you could up budget another £150 then I would go for a Tecnoarm which will have good resale value if you intend to upgrade again.

Dont think there will be much between them TBH espeically with a relatively budget cartridge.

The Shure get favourable reviews so probably the most bang for buck.

You do realise the Gyro needs to be built up ?

Its quite straightforward though but you will need a min spirit bubble level - Roksan do one for about £10

hope you enjoy it
 

Dav1d

New member
Dec 17, 2015
4
0
0
hi al ears,

I so dont mind you adding to this thread, youre a great help, which one would you choose out of these two?. Do you think in your opinion its worth me waiting and buying the michell tonearm you said about?

best wishes
 

Al ears

Well-known member
Dav1d said:
hi al ears,

I so dont mind you adding to this thread, youre a great help, which one would you choose out of these two?. Do you think in your opinion its worth me waiting and buying the michell tonearm you said about?

best wishes

It depends on how keen you are to get going. The Technoarm A is basically a nicely reworked Rega RB250 with underslung counterweight. It is good and being Michell will complement the deck. There are better of course but the Origin Live is its equal in my opinion.

Always remember to draw the line somewhere. I f spending more on the arm means you have to spend less on the cartridge then do not do it.
 

Dav1d

New member
Dec 17, 2015
4
0
0
Oh ok, Say I take your advice and go for the onyx tonearm that leaves me £150 for the cartridge I guess. Would you be able to recommend a better cartridge please.

Regads

david.
 

Dav1d

New member
Dec 17, 2015
4
0
0
Yes the guy called me today to say he was able to get my gyro quickly by chance and told me I'd have to put it together. I like that idea a lot.

Thank you al ears you have been a great help.
 

stevebrock

New member
Nov 13, 2009
183
0
0
Another £100 and you could find a Nagaoka MP200 - very nice cartridge with a Boron Cantilever which you just do not find at this budget.

Only my opinion though - how about a 2M Blue ?

These carts offer a different presenation - the Nag warmer but 2M Blue more forward, depends what you want.
 

Al ears

Well-known member
stevebrock said:
Another £100 and you could find a Nagaoka MP200 - very nice cartridge with a Boron Cantilever which you just do not find at this budget.

Only my opinion though - how about a 2M Blue ?

These carts offer a different presenation - the Nag warmer but 2M Blue more forward, depends what you want.

Good though it is the Nagaoka is nearly double his budget (approx. £295) so he'd need a bit more than another £100, which is why I didn't recommend it in this instance, and the Audio Technica I mentioned will wipe the floor with the 2M blue. In my opinion.
 

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts