Gyro Se up and running....wow!

blackrain

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
The Gyro SE is up and together...Origin Silver arm all set up with Audio Note IQ1 cartridge.

I thought my Syncro was pretty good with the Rega 250/Nagaoka MP110 setup.....oh...no...The Gyro sounds sublime to me! I know i didnt go mad with my choice of cartridge, but its so far away from the syncro its untrue!

I think the syncro, with a similar arm and cartridge setup on it, would certainly perform a whole lot better that with its current kit, but the Gyro sounds so assured and it just seems to take evrything in its stride...it took me a long time to get it set up properly, but that time was so very well spent because it positively sings.

I tried a pretty varied bag vinyl wise...starting with an Evi Vine Album give your heart to the hawks...very laid back and gentle with subtle vocals, i thought this would be a good starting point as i thought it may pick up any short comings in the setup...which it did..but as i went on it just got better and better...end result is a thing of beauty....ok, it is a brand new LP, but not a hint of any background noise or mistracking anywhere and her vocal now come over so airy and it seems you can hear every facet of her vocal cords working..it truly is amazing....i then played it on the syncro and while it was still quite good, it just lacked the depth and really showed how revealing and detailed the gyro is.

I then moved onto Dead Can Dance's LP Anastasis......again the gyro is so revealing and strident in its portrayal, with Lisa Gerrards voice almost having me believe she was actually in my lounge singing it!...Again, i then played the same on the syncro, and immediately the soundstage felt smaller and almost compressed in comparison...the bass sounding looser and also when Lisa hits top notes the limitations were there again almost like a very high frequency was missing from the top treble...

My last choice was a classic album for me...Bowie's The Man Who Sold The World....an original issue copy i have in good nick, but very well played....and, of course, recorded on analogue equipment...This was a revelation! I always loved the way that album was recorded & it sounded good on the Syncro, but oh my...the detail and dynamics totally came to life on the gyro....the stereo seperation and soundstage just leapt out at me...the bass was so tight and Mick Ronsons guitar flailing on Width of a Circle from the left channel....whilst Bowies accoustic strunmmimg going its thing from the right..and perfectly. No confusion, no crossover...crystal clear...and this LP is 45 years old!

As you can guess im pretty impressed... i think the Origin Silver arm is an amazing piece of work, and really does extract every iota of detail and gets the absolute best from the cartridge....and...put with the Gyrodec it really is outstanding...i cant stop listening...its like ive got a new record collection it truly is.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Excellent !!

Sounds like your really pleased with it !!

Was the Origin Live Arm easy to set up? Wonder how it compares to the Tecnoarm, the Origin Live looks so much better than the Tecnoarm.

blackrain

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
The rest of my system comprises of a Yamaha RXV467 receiver and Tannoy Revolution DC6T's...i tend to play vinyl through the 'straight' mode on the amp, as it is direct.

blackrain

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
It would be interesting to hear an SME arm up against the Origin Silver....i really cant believe how good this sounds...at 675 quid the silver really is a good deal at the price....i paid 500 with only 2 months use...screaming bargain!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
are you enjoying your Gyro ?

I am considering buying the HR PSU - I would like to demo one, but i assume it WILL make a difference !

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
blackrain said:
The rest of my system comprises of a Yamaha RXV467 receiver and Tannoy Revolution DC6T's...i tend to play vinyl through the 'straight' mode on the amp, as it is& direct.

Does this rx not have"Pure Direct"? More 'direct' than straight.

blackrain

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
Yes it does...i used that to set the Gyro up....and still do use it a fair bit....i use straight as i tweaked the bass & treble to suit my taste...ive found that my ears are not as good as they were...too many loud gigs i fear lol

iceman16

I used to own one in black. It does look and sound wonderful and regret selling it
sad_smile.gif

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
It's a good turntable then? *biggrin*

When finances allow, it's something I might well consider.

David@Frank Harvey, do you offer a set-up service?

Freddy

When the Gyro is unpacked the instructions are not pictoral so you just need to be shown how to put it together but its not too diffucult.

Then obviously attaching your desired arm is quite straightforward, the Gyro comes with a Rega armboard as standard, an SME armboard is extra, then cartridge needs fitting.

To a novice this is probably best done by your dealer (a good dealer will not charge for this)

I think it is the only turntable I will ever own now and its worth the extra getting it in Black - looks stunning and sounds even better.

Whilst I just love the look of the Gyro SE and truely believe it is the best turntable you are going to find for this sort of money I really do think they shouild sell it with a dust cover of some sort. I know you can get them as optional extras but who in their right minds is going to leave a deck like this exposed to the elements.

I know this is current fashion with a lot of decks and I know Michell do the Gyro full edition with a lid but just wondered, am I the only guy that likes them covered??

I don't have an overly dusty house but some decks in black, and particularly those made of acrylic, look horrendous after a couple of weeks.

Remember dust is the main killer of cartridges and sound quality in the vinyl environment.

dtmark

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Have never had a cover on my Thorens deck because it doesn't fit. Because it doesn't have the standard tonearm.

I plan on attempting to cut a piece out of the lid at the back to accomodate the overhang of the tonearm.

Given the brittle plastic I don't rate my chances of doing this very highly. Though if after a couple of hours of tortuous effort I finally manage to fashion some hole in it without splitting it apart in the process and it sort-of-fits, I'll be very pleased.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Freddy58 said:
It's a good turntable then? *biggrin*

When finances allow, it's something I might well consider.

David@Frank Harvey, do you offer a set-up service?

Freddy

When the Gyro is unpacked the instructions are not pictoral so you just need to be shown how to put it together but its not too diffucult.

Then obviously attaching your desired arm is quite straightforward, the Gyro comes with a Rega armboard as standard, an SME armboard is extra, then cartridge needs fitting.

To a novice this is probably best done by your dealer (a good dealer will not charge for this)

I think it is the only turntable I will ever own now and its worth the extra getting it in Black - looks stunning and sounds even better.

Thanks for the info Steve
thumbs_up.gif
It's definitely on the cards, and most importantly, SWMBO has agreed *biggrin* ( Ain't told her how much yet!) I'm thinking £3,000 should get me a good combo.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Freddy - they will no doubt dis-assemble their demo model and rebuild it - only takes 10 minutes. Then you can take your new boxed shiny one away. Fit your arm then your cart.

The instructions are adeqaute but there are no pictures.

For £3k you could go for a Tecnoarm and have £1000 for a cart

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Freddy - they will no doubt dis-assemble their demo model and rebuild it - only takes 10 minutes. Then you can take your new boxed shiny one away. Fit your arm then your cart.

Hiya Steve. I suppose I would need to factor in a pre if I go for a MC cart. Also, I would opt for the 'full' version deck, so depending on cart, it might be a bit tight.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
stevebrock said:

Hiya Steve. Thing is, I would opt for the 'full' version deck, so depending on which cart, it might be a bit tight if I have to factor in a pre (sut)

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
To be honest freddy to go to MC there is no cheap way of doing it as I have discovered. That's why I have gone for 1 of the best MMs out there, even though I have a PS1 phono that can take both MM/MC if I went for a coil I would have to factor in the cost of a retip - with the nag I can replace the stylus relatively cheaply.

All comes down to budget, get the gyro up and running first with a MM - enjoy it - then later think about a MC

stevebrock said:
To be honest freddy to go to MC there is no cheap way of doing it as I have discovered. That's why I have gone for 1 of the best MMs out there, even though I have a PS1 phono that can take both MM/MC if I went for a coil I would have to factor in the cost of a retip - with the nag I can replace the stylus relatively cheaply.

All comes down to budget, get the gyro up and running first with a MM - enjoy it - then later think about a MC

Way to go with the Nag. I learnt very recently if you trash the cantilever on a MC it's going to cost upwards of £750 for rebuild and hundreds for a retip. If you don't have a MC that costs over a grand it ain't worth doing, so goodbye Zyx and hello cheaper Audio Technica.

And that's knowing I already own a good MC phono preamp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts